Wishlist / request: TAF API

gnomechild

Wondering if it would be possible to get documentation for how to interact with the TAF through scripting. I know that LOTATC has the ability to send a TAF target to a player in a Mirage. I think it would be very useful and cool to be able to send a TAF to a player through a script for missions and intercept scenarios without having to rely on the constraints of the automatic designation. 

• Like 1

Hi,

That's an awesome idea!

I'm not sure it's currently possible via mission scripts only but I'm not an expert in external lua scripting.

The TAF device is accessible via hook scripts, such as the service mods you install in Saved Games (like SRS or Tacview)

The function is :

GetDevice(39):receive_external_packet(taf_data)

Using TAF in missions is such a nice idea, I will ask ED whether this is possible.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kercheiz said:

Hi,

That's an awesome idea!

I'm not sure it's currently possible via mission scripts only but I'm not an expert in external lua scripting.

The TAF device is accessible via hook scripts, such as the service mods you install in Saved Games (like SRS or Tacview)

The function is :

GetDevice(39):receive_external_packet(taf_data)

Using TAF in missions is such a nice idea, I will ask ED whether this is possible.

Thanks! Glad you like the idea as well. I think it would open a lot of possibilities. Out of curiosity, do you have an example of that taf_data? I'd love to see an example or just field definitions to mess around with it. Fingers crossed for a positive response from ED! I seem to remember using "GetDevice" in mission scripts before but can't check at the moment. I think it should be possible though. AFAIK the mission env should have all that available, but I'm very much a rookie at DCS scripting and LUA in general 

Ah nevermind, I was thinking of the cockpit arguments. Yeah, definitely different than the hooks. But still would be very cool if there's a way to open that up or another way to send that taf_data. 

Edited by gnomechild