Ext lighting visibility range way too short

Rebel28

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The visibility of ext lighting is way, way, way too short. I'd guess by a factor of a hundred.
Not only is ext lighting not visible at all after a few thousand feet, before that the perceived brightness is too low also. When flying in close formation, brightness levels are "acceptable" (yet very much on the low side), but if you open up the formation to a few hundred feet perceived brightness goes down too quickly.

Aircraft with full ext lights should be easily seen for many miles. Rejoining a flight at night should be easily done visually when the situation allows for ext lights.
A pilot who forgets to dim /switch off his lights sould be easily seen from a great distance.

Those lights are just sprites, so they won't have any performance impact at all. All that need to be done is tweaking the LODs to allow lights and fine tune the sprites brightness and size for a good compromise of readability and realism.
This needs to be done not only for this aircraft but for every module and AI asset.

It's important.
Thanks!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, NineLine said:

This isnt a P-51 issue, but this is already reported. Thanks

I'd like to stress (though maybe this has been noted), that the solution shouldn't be too make the sprites larger - what there needs to be are separate sprites for certain LODs, that way we get more appropriate scaling at distance.

This seems to have been made the case on the Su-25s, where the lights change based on the LODs and it looks much more natural at long range - the only problem with it is that the sprites look like they need a bit more work closer up.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.