TACAN

dresoccer4
Go to solution Solved by Raptor9,

• ED Team
  • Solution

Nope, US Army AH-64D only had ADF.

It is worth noting the VHF radio can be tuned to VOR stations for receive only operations (for things like HIWAS or FSS), but can't direction find using it.

Edited by Raptor9
  • Like 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

20 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

Nope, US Army AH-64D only had ADF.

It is worth noting the VHF radio can be tuned to VOR stations for receive only operations (for things like HIWAS or FSS), but can't direction find using it.

that's really interesting! I wonder what the logic behind that is, because it seems like a very odd design choice to not allow tacan/vor navigation

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

• ED Team
5 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

that's really interesting! I wonder what the logic behind that is, because it seems like a very odd design choice to not allow tacan/vor navigation

I think it was just never a priority. You can't shoot something you can't see, so flying in the clouds isn't useful outside of flights going from point A to B in areas without hostile radar defenses.

Having said that, it does limit your movements in some circumstances outside of combat, so the AH-64E's are instrument-rated with VOR, ILS, and are now getting TACAN.

• Like 3

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head