George Altitude

flavnet

The Apache is beautiful!! Congratulations to ED and the developers. But ... George as a pilot cannot crash into a forest or a hill if I (CPG) set a ground clearance of 100 feet!!!! Even by performing all the necessary maneuvers, he should constantly maintain the ground clearance of 100 feet!!!! Please keep this problem in mind in the next update because for me, but I don't think I'm the only one, the most fun position is that of CPG and, therefore, a pilot with a minimum of sense of self-preservation is required. Thanks for your kind attention.

The problem is that as pilot George is set to a height over the ground, meaning the ground under the aircraft. If there's a sudden change in the height of the terrain or anything else such as that caused by a hill or forest then he simply won't have time to react, especially as he seems to be made to do his best to fly smoothly. He won't yank on the collective in reaction to something he's approaching, instead applying smoother inputs as the radar altitude decreases.

I think it will take a fair bit of work to get him (and Petrovich) to a state where they are intelligent enough to react to objects that are at the same height and in front of the aircraft. to do so you need to come up with an AI behaviour that can take into account the specifics of what's approaching, as well as the closure rate and aircraft performance for all altitudes, weights, temperatures.... 

I don't see it being done for some time yet.

• Wags changed the title to George Altitude

Trees in Georgia can reach from 100 to 150 ft above ground.  Though, the highest tree in Iran is about 80 ft.
Also, the AI is quite dumb in DCS, and don't expect it to plan in advance. It's just reacting to what's under him, so it may be too late when the slope raises. Also, AH-64D weight and power have a huge role in climbing capabilities (limiting them).

You better pay attention, plan your route and help George!

Edited by Qnnrad