Rockets and Guns ?

RSWedge

I would like to come up with a proper protocol for Rockets and Gun usage.

Rockets - is it basically "point and shoot?" Is there a recticle on the HUD that can be used?

Guns - same as above? Can you use the Shkval targeting system? If so how?

Wedge;591854']I would like to come up with a proper protocol for Rockets and Gun usage.

Rockets - is it basically "point and shoot?" Is there a recticle on the HUD that can be used?

Guns - same as above? Can you use the Shkval targeting system? If so how?

Hi,

Rockets to me are worthless, but I have seen some guys do diving rocket attacks with great precision! I'm not sure but I think they are point and shoot.

The gun on the other hand is awesome, lockup the target in the Shkval and then hit C to turn on the gun, yaw the helo a little left so the gun can see the target, hit the trigger and watch things die. Don't forget to select the proper rate of fire and AP or HE for the target.:joystick:

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

Rockets are point and shoot. And because they are point and shoot, you may prefer to use the "Gun Sight" mode (silver switch next the "Laser OFF/STDBY" switch).

In Gun Sight mode, you put the pipper close to the target, press and hold "Lock" (Enter) to lase the target and feed accurate range info into the computer. The pipper will then adjust for the new range info. You fine tune your aim and fire.

You can also keep the "Lock" button pressed the entire time you're aiming to keep the computer up to date with "live" range information. Beware though, the longer the laser is active, the longer it will need to cool.

You also get a nice visual picture on the TV for target VID.

Finally, you have to minimize any side slip. The rocket's fly along the flight path, not along your line of sight, so you have to line up the two.

Edited by EvilBivol-1

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

Hey Wedge, I was just noticing you have a couple topics here of questions that you could find helpful and complete answers to if you read through the DCS Black Shark manual, found in "Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/Ka-50/Doc," and the producers notes videos which you can find on the DCS website, or on youtube.

The great thing about reading around to find the answer is that you'll pick up answers to other questions too. It takes more time, but that's the whole point of this sim!

• Like 2

"A pilot lives in a world of perfection, or not at all." -Richard S. Drury

http://www.virtualblueangels.net

Yes, the manual is very helpful and I am fumbling my way through it. I am currently revising some of the manual such as the weapons deployment, navigation, flight logistics, ect to include the keys that go along with the switches and buttons for these key operations. Essentially making reference cards to refer to during flight.

Everyone here has been a big help. :thumbup:

• 8 months later...

Rockets - Manual

I'm still confused, in the manual it says:

Using Rockets or Fixed Cannon with Auto-tracking

To attack a target with the cannon in the fixed position, first set the “ОСН РЕЖ” (weapon system mode) selector on the Targeting Mode Control panel to the "НПУ" (fix cannon to boresight) position. Attacking with fixed cannon or

rockets using auto-tracking mode requires the following:

1. Verify that target is being tracked by Shkval.

2. Once the target is within attack range, maneuver the helicopter to aim HUD target marker over the target.

my question: if it is auto-tracking why do i need to maneuver the chopper?

Firing Rockets or Cannons Using Laser-Rangefinder

again i still need to maneuver the chopper?

so what is the difference between the two methods?

which of the above can use shkval to seek and lock targets? or can i even lock targets through skval?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Let freedom ring with a shotgun blast

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 10.8 | Windows 7 64 | TrackIR 5 | Saitek x52 | 4GB DDR2 | E8400 O.C 3.8 Ghz | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse

http://www.war-hawks.net

is recruiting.

http://www.war-hawks.net/private/index.php/recruitform

Auto-tracking, in this sense, means that the Shkval is pointing at or "locked on" to a specific target. Since the cannon is fixed to straight-ahead in the procedure you posted, you have to point the pointy end of cannon at the bad guy yourself.

When firing any weapon on the Ka-50 you will have to maneuver to some degree. When not fixed, the cannon has a wedge of angles that it can point itself in, so you just have to maneuver the helio so the target is within that wedge. With Vikhrs, the launcher can elevate up and down a handful of degrees, but you still have to point them towards the target. To effectively fire unguided rockets you have to maneuver so that the predictive cue (the circle floating around the bottom half of the HUD) is on your target then POW! Right in the kisser!

You can use Shkval to lock on to your target with any of these methods. Use of the Shkval is required to employ the slaved cannon or Vikhrs. You can lock on and track a target with the Shkval while using the cannon in fixed mode or when launching unguided rockets, but these weapons still shoot straight forward and have to be aimed.

Hope that helps!

Shoot to Kill.

Play to Have Fun.

The rocket pod is not articulated so the only way you can aim them, is by maneuvering the helicopter. "Locking" does not apply to rockets for aiming.

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

I suggest making a mission which has a convoy traveling down a straight road. Then practice strafing runs. Be sure to lock the gun using that switch and push the flight director on your auto pilot so you can maneuver without fighting the ap. Switch between the gun and your rockets and you'll see the aiming reticles. The one for the gun is high and the rockets low. Usually I'm shooting UAZs with HE. Just line up with the road, fly low and open fire. All goes well you should kill all but a few. Use your pedals to stay centered. After you pass the last vehicle keep going forwards for a bit then turn. This will make lining up your next run easier. Ofcourse if you wana be all flashy you can drop the collective, pull back then to stop then do a 180 lol.

Anyways that's what I'm doing to train. My biggest problem with the rockets is that they fire so fast that I feel like I'm not getting enough dispersion.

Another fun one that I can't do yet is to go perpendicular to the road and fly sideways like in the movies, but I'm not that good. I need to practice my funnel too.