Opening Gambit

Golden28

Hi Guys.

My first post on these forums and hopefully not my last!

I'll get straight to the point, I cannot believe that I have only just discovered this sim. Three days ago I had no idea it even existed!

Now, after pouring meticulously over the videos, posts and even the downloadable manual I am incredibly excited to get my hands on this game.

I gave up on sims since the last one I played (Commanche/Hokum) as I did not think their was a market for them anymore and, consequently, no devs were investing their time in them. This game however looks to have breathed new life back in the genre.

I was also thinking, if an old sim gamer like me has only just realised how much this game has to offer, has the publisher not been vocal enough in their advertisment of the game? I want to ensure that the game gets its due reward (ie sales) and hope that it will be pushed more on gamesites so as to get the word out. Am I being naive and had my head in the sand for too many years? Have you guys always known about this game from day one?

Anyhow, I will probably wait for the hard copy to come out before purchasing and use that time to read up on the manual. Don't know if I can resist that digital download though!

Any guys on here got the digital English version? If so, how does it rate compared to Commanche/Hokum in terms of playability and campaign structure?

Phew, sorry for the long post but just wanted to say hi and get a few questions answered.

Any guys on here got the digital English version? If so, how does it rate compared to Commanche/Hokum in terms of playability and campaign structure?

Yes i do :D and i'm having a blast. It's hard to compare the simulation part of this sim to EECH. Everything from the flight model to avionics is ultra realistic compared to the simplified avionics and flight model in EECH, so you might have a hard time (like everybody else, very rewarding nonetheless) learning all the systems. Additionally, the black shark is a rather old bird, so the systems are a bit complicated on some parts compared to the streamlined glass cockpits of EECH. The campaign structure is not dynamic, which has the pro's of single missions being more realistic than automatic generated ones IMHO. Additionally, the campaign missions feature other non mission related flights as well, thus adding the feeling of immersion. It's just another league. It's the modernised falcon 4 of heli sims bar the dynamic campaign. However, i enjoy a user built tactical engagement (single mission) more than the dynamic campaign.

If you have the money, i'd definately go for it. :thumbup:

You can still wait for the demo if you're not sure.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Welcome back in the sim-community. Sorry, I haven't played Comanche/Hokum, so I can't tell you about the differences. What I can say is, that Blackshark really deserves the term "simulation". This is a great piece of software....

I was just writing something almost identical to this.. So to add:

I have played many, many "simulations" in the past, not one of them feels as real as Blackshark, almost all of them felt like a compromise. Blackshark feels like a full military simulation, everything just seems right. The immersion (imo) is unparralleled. :thumbup:

My advice,,, dont wait, buy it now! You will spend months learning this,, if you wait, u will be that far behind the community,,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle