Could there be a memory leak ?

MarcT-NL

I don't know what to do. Since the Apache I found that DCS crashes after about 15 minutes of flying. It's a Blue Screen of Death with messages like "irql not less or equal", "attempt to execute noexecute memory", "bsod system service exception", "kmode exception not handled". When I google it, most of the time it's about drivers.

So I reinstalled the PC. Formatted the drives, fresh install of Win10 and all updates. Every driver I check says "this is the latest version". I re-downloaded DCS and installed it. For  your laughs, I found out that the backup of my keybindings where also on the drives that I formatted. So that's gone.

Never mind. I started to rebind all the bindings for the 10 planes I fly the most. That went pretty well. The PC kept on working for hours. No crashes. Today I finally got around to binding the Apache-keys. And now the crashes are back !  15 minutes of Apache and I get a BSOD. Most of the time "irql not less or equal". I just flew more than an hour in the Mosquito. Went fine. Apache -> crash,

So this is a bit of a bummer. I really looked forward to mastering the apache. First as a pilot, later as a CP/G. So now what ?

Specs:

• Intel i7 8700k 3.7
  • 32gb DDR4
  • MSI GForce RTX 2080 Gaming X 8gb
  • 500gb SSD for Windows + another 500GB SSD for DCS
  • Powersupply 750W (usage is not higher than 500w)
  • HP Reverb G2

Could there be a memory leak or something ? Something that will be fixed in upcomming updates ? I guess you don't need a trackfile for this ? OR would that help ?

• Like 1

DCS log files might help..

• Like 1

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

while they are nice we need your DCS.Log file too..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

The error you are getting is definitly RAM related.

Prelaod radius has a masssive impact on some maps, especially syria for example, if set too high you ram gets flooded by dcs I have seen arouind 32 GB used by dcs on my system. And it definitly fills it gradeually not all at once after 5-10 Minutes all should be loaded into RAM. In my Case at the time I disconnected and adjusted preload radius untill in acceptable parameters.

Edited by jayst0r

• ED Team

We really need track replays to try and reproduce, I am not seeing any issues but I have a beefy machine

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

10 hours ago, NineLine said:

Do you by chance use the Digital image on IHADSS at any time during these flights?

No, I'm still in the process of setting up the HOTAS, and learning the TSD. Haven't flown at night yet.

3 hours ago, jayst0r said:

The error you are getting is definitly RAM related.

Prelaod radius has a masssive impact on some maps, especially syria for example, if set too high you ram gets flooded by dcs I have seen arouind 32 GB used by dcs on my system. And it definitly fills it gradeually not all at once after 5-10 Minutes all should be loaded into RAM. In my Case at the time I disconnected and adjusted preload radius untill in acceptable parameters.

OK, no worries, I'll turn the pre-load down. As far as I know I did't turn up the pre-load. I just used the preset VR-settings, and turned up the visible range,  grass, forest visibility, a little chinmey smoke and turned down the shadows to Flat only. I set anisotropic filtering to 8,

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

We really need track replays to try and reproduce, I am not seeing any issues but I have a beefy machine

If have to figure that out, because normaly I play a mission, and at the end I can save the track. But if I get a BSOD, is the track still saved somewhere ?

BTW: I use ReShade (the VRversion).

So: I saw a slightly newer NVidia-driver available. So I'll first install that, and I'll set the page-size to 16GB. Then turn down my pre-load and then fly around in the Apache. Please let me know where to find the trackfile when BSOD.

Edited by MarcT-NL

• ED Team

it maybe worth testing without any unofficial modifications, see if you notice a difference. 

There is a hidden folder in appdata that contains the last mission track, but it does not always catch it, but worth checking 

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

OK thanks.

So this is what I did this morning: Installed latest NVidia driver, turned down pre-load (however, when I look now it's back to 100000, but I'll slide it to 32000)

By the way: I haven't set my pagefile yet. I will do that next but I have tested.

1. First a very short mission: Start up from cold, fly 100mtrs, land and shut down. No problems.
  2. Next a bit longer mission: Start up from cold, attack 2 boats nearby RTB and shut down. No problems
  3. Next a longer mission. Start up, kill a boat, fly around the scenery for at least 30 minutes I'd guess, come back, land and shut down. This ALSO went fine !

So I exited DCS as a happy puppy, but upon exiting, it crashed BSOD again !  "kmode exception not handled". I found the last track where you said. This folder is filled with files by the way. Should I delete those ?

image.png

So I will include the tracks I saved and the lastmissiontrack. I am going to set my pagefile now and retry.

Oh, the last mission is too large to put on this forum. Get it here: https://marctelkamp.nl/LastMissionTrack.trk (14mb)

tempMission.miz 01 AH-64D Start and Stop.trk

OK... pretty pleased so far. Flew around for about an hour. No problems. The framerate didn't get higher after I set the pagefile size, but it stays around 30-35. That is acceptable.

Next I'll try something in the Syria-map, but I am already pleased. Thanks for your effort everybody.

OK, ultimate test. Started in Syria as scudhunter. Got killed. Switched to a MP server. Started in the FA-18, did a round in the Mosquito, and after that got into the Apache, with a human CP/G.

This all went remarably fine for hours. No issues until that server restarted. After that I immediately got a BSOD. Logfile included here.

So if you look at the log, can you see significant less stress on the memory ?  That would mean that our efforts worked. Well, actually no doubt about that. I used to get a BSOD every 15 minutes. Now I can stay alive for hours.

But can you see any other things I could do ?  I still see a few errors in the log, but that might be expected ?

dcs.log

Edited by MarcT-NL

• ED Team
4 hours ago, MarcT-NL said:

OK, ultimate test. Started in Syria as scudhunter. Got killed. Switched to a MP server. Started in the FA-18, did a round in the Mosquito, and after that got into the Apache, with a human CP/G.

This all went remarably fine for hours. No issues until that server restarted. After that I immediately got a BSOD. Logfile included here.

So if you look at the log, can you see significant less stress on the memory ?  That would mean that our efforts worked. Well, actually no doubt about that. I used to get a BSOD every 15 minutes. Now I can stay alive for hours.

But can you see any other things I could do ?  I still see a few errors in the log, but that might be expected ?

dcs.log 163.31 kB · 1 download

Sorry I didnt see if you had tried yet, but did you try that page file tip above?

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• 2 weeks later...

Don't want to hijack your topic, but I guess I have the same problem here. I have 32gig RAM and already set the page file to:

But as for now i still get this weird fps drop after 30 - 45 minutes. It'll stay for a few minutes and then everything's back online. 

Really don't know what else to do. 

How exactly did you set your page file to? And if I may ask, on my pc windows is on the C drive, while DCS is on the D drive. I only set the page file for my C drive. Hope this is correct? 

Edited by exil

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

Had to let my settings to fight that issue.

I made a post here somewhere where iwrote about the same. After a while my fos went down to crazy numbers. In the COIN in the mountains mission it went to 5 fps after switching the seats and alttab a few times.

Then i lowered my settings (to an amount considerably lower than any other addon):and from that moment on it worked.

Edited by Senchay

20 minutes ago, Senchay said:

Had to let my settings to fight that issue.

I made a post here somewhere where iwrote about the same. After a while my fos went down to crazy numbers. In the COIN in the mountains mission it went to 5 fps after switching the seats and alttab a few times.

Then i lowered my settings (to an amount considerably lower than any other addon):and from that moment on it worked.

Thanks for the reply! 

I forgot to mention that it mostly happens when I look at the F10 map. I can literally hear the fans of my gpu spooling down when it happens. 

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

14 hours ago, exil said:

Don't want to hijack your topic, but I guess I have the same problem here. I have 32gig RAM and already set the page file to:

But as for now i still get this weird fps drop after 30 - 45 minutes. It'll stay for a few minutes and then everything's back online. 

Really don't know what else to do. 

How exactly did you set your page file to? And if I may ask, on my pc windows is on the C drive, while DCS is on the D drive. I only set the page file for my C drive. Hope this is correct? 

Wait, are you supposed to set your pagefilesize to 16GB or to the amount of memory you have installed ?  I have 32GB memory, but I was told to set the pagesize to 16GB. No freaking clue why an enduser should have to do that kind of settings, but here we are.

Also, I read somewhere to put your PCI to GEN3. Same here: users should not have to worry about those things. It is in the BIOS, under advanced. There you should find PCI-settings. It normally is set to automatic, but I could also set it to GEN1, GEN2 or GEN3. Again, no clue what I did, but I set it to GEN3.

I still have the occasional BSOD. Alsways memory-related yes. But normally I can fly hours and hours. Most of the time it crashes when a MP-server reboots, or I switch planes too often. When it crashes, it will be whilest in the AH-64D. Just saying.

Right, after re-examining met pagefile settings it seemed that I didn't set the pagefile at all !  It was still on automatic. I used the image below to set it, but right at the end you have to press [SET] it appears... So fine. I did that now and set it to 32768.

Increase Page File size on Windows 10

And yeah, as I understand it, you only have to do this on the drive your Windows is on. I also have Windows & other tools on C-drive and DCS on D:.

Edited by MarcT-NL

24 minutes ago, MarcT-NL said:

Wait, are you supposed to set your pagefilesize to 16GB or to the amount of memory you have installed ?  I have 32GB memory, but I was told to set the pagesize to 16GB. No freaking clue why an enduser should have to do that kind of settings, but here we are.

Also, I read somewhere to put your PCI to GEN3. Same here: users should not have to worry about those things. It is in the BIOS, under advanced. There you should find PCI-settings. It normally is set to automatic, but I could also set it to GEN1, GEN2 or GEN3. Again, no clue what I did, but I set it to GEN3.

I still have the occasional BSOD. Alsways memory-related yes. But normally I can fly hours and hours. Most of the time it crashes when a MP-server reboots, or I switch planes too often. When it crashes, it will be whilest in the AH-64D. Just saying.

Right, after re-examining met pagefile settings it seemed that I didn't set the pagefile at all !  It was still on automatic. I used the image below to set it, but right at the end you have to press [SET] it appears... So fine. I did that now and set it to 32768.

Increase Page File size on Windows 10

And yeah, as I understand it, you only have to do this on the drive your Windows is on. I also have Windows & other tools on C-drive and DCS on D:.

I really don't know. I just assumed since I have 32 GB to set the page file accordingly. I now have set it to 16gb and tried a quick flight of around 30mins yesterday. So no reliable test on my side. I'll try to fly a longer mission today and will see what happens.