Could there be a memory leak ?

MarcT-NL

Just as a note, I've noticed all maps filling memory. I watched the system monitor while on Persian Gulf and memory just kept filling at a rate of 100MB/sec. Things start to stutter pretty bad, and they never used to before this last open beta release. I thought it strange since the Persian Gulf isn't very taxing on resources. Ran a repair and that didn't work either.

• Like 1

• ED Team
18 hours ago, Crashdown2 said:

Just as a note, I've noticed all maps filling memory. I watched the system monitor while on Persian Gulf and memory just kept filling at a rate of 100MB/sec. Things start to stutter pretty bad, and they never used to before this last open beta release. I thought it strange since the Persian Gulf isn't very taxing on resources. Ran a repair and that didn't work either.

I have not seen this, can you give your specs, or dxdiag file. 

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

On 3/26/2022 at 6:49 PM, MarcT-NL said:

I don't know what to do. Since the Apache I found that DCS crashes after about 15 minutes of flying. It's a Blue Screen of Death with messages like "irql not less or equal", "attempt to execute noexecute memory", "bsod system service exception", "kmode exception not handled". When I google it, most of the time it's about drivers.

So I reinstalled the PC. Formatted the drives, fresh install of Win10 and all updates. Every driver I check says "this is the latest version". I re-downloaded DCS and installed it. For  your laughs, I found out that the backup of my keybindings where also on the drives that I formatted. So that's gone.

Never mind. I started to rebind all the bindings for the 10 planes I fly the most. That went pretty well. The PC kept on working for hours. No crashes. Today I finally got around to binding the Apache-keys. And now the crashes are back !  15 minutes of Apache and I get a BSOD. Most of the time "irql not less or equal". I just flew more than an hour in the Mosquito. Went fine. Apache -> crash,

So this is a bit of a bummer. I really looked forward to mastering the apache. First as a pilot, later as a CP/G. So now what ?

Specs:

• Intel i7 8700k 3.7
  • 32gb DDR4
  • MSI GForce RTX 2080 Gaming X 8gb
  • 500gb SSD for Windows + another 500GB SSD for DCS
  • Powersupply 750W (usage is not higher than 500w)
  • HP Reverb G2

Could there be a memory leak or something ? Something that will be fixed in upcomming updates ? I guess you don't need a trackfile for this ? OR would that help ?

Are you over clocked? 

• 2 weeks later...

At this point I occasionally still get a BSOD. It's always in the Apache, and I think the Syria-map plays a part too. It seems ok if it doesn't crash in the first few seconds into the mission. However I can't go on any MP-server, and fly anything else before I fly the Apache. If I fly Apache first, and then switch to anything else, it's ok.

Today was terrible though. I spent an entire evening just starting DCS, go on MP-server, starting Apache, fly 100 meters and reboot again. Start DCS, go on MP-server, etc. No other plane has this. I can fly anything anywhere. Just not the mighty Apache ! 😞

Edited by MarcT-NL

I wanted to show you how long it takes with much flickering, when you enter the mission in the Apache. But the file is too large to attack here. 5mb max is soooo 2010...

It seems that turning on the VID - TADS in the back is sure for a BSOD...

Also, people with 32GB memory report that it's all working fine. Could it be that I have 4x8GB memory, in stead of 2x 16GB?  Could that pose a problem ?

On 4/20/2022 at 5:51 PM, NineLine said:

I have not seen this, can you give your specs, or dxdiag file. 

Sorry, have not seen the notification on the reply...I have had multiple crashes before and sent the crash dump to ED each time, I hope this helps.  Since I got a tool to trim memory, after the trim I can run Syria within 9GB, which is amazing.

12 minutes ago, Crashdown2 said:

Sorry, have not seen the notification on the reply...I have had multiple crashes before and sent the crash dump to ED each time, I hope this helps.  Since I got a tool to trim memory, after the trim I can run Syria within 9GB, which is amazing.

What do you use to trim the memory?

I have tried memclean with very good results for VR related problems on my system. There is another thread in the VR sub-section that suggests using memcleaner with auto-trim set to 80% (tick the first two options).

After a while many VR users, including me , are suffering from "display stuttering". This often happens after respawingn or jumping from F10 map or external views. This makes the VR experience unplayable, and generally forces me to restart DCS. A common trick to get rid of this stuttering is to alt-tab out from DCS and go back after 30sec or so. It doesn't work all the time, but so far it's the best work around the VR community came up with. VR dedicated PCs are quite difficult to stabilize for DCS and it's all about achieving a compromise between eye candy vs FPS  performance. 

I'm far from being an expert but the "memory leak" hypothesis has been around for a while, at least it makes sense to me and could explain a lot of issues. Using this memory cleaner tool has recently proven efficient in my case, but it could also adress a larger problem most DCS users are suffering from. 

Edited by pixie
  • Like 1