Canopy tint vs visibility, especially in VR

Eldur
Go to solution Solved by Eldur,

After a few sorties at different daytime I have to denote something that's being an issue in general with DCS, but particularly peculiar with the AH-64. To make it simple: I can't see s*** outside! The windscreen and canopy glass panes are tinted so hard as if I was looking through shades, and in the Apache, this gets especially worse with the also tinted monocle glass and the IHADSS symbology. Even at high noon I feel like I actually NEED to turn on the PNVS or TADS in the HDU to be able to see where I'm flying and this just doesn't feel real. As noted in the subject's title, this is especially a problem in VR that I've been experiencing since the update that introduced the Channel Map in conjuction with the addition of massive haze fog. Switching to external views or simply looking outside with the canopy open literally has the issue "solved" mostly (well, except for the foggy haze), it really seems to come from the glass.

I have repaired my install, did a complete reinstall, removed mods, went through 3 different headsets, tried gamma values from 1.0 to 2.8, and nothing could solve the problem and now in the 64 it really gives me pain in the plot. Is there any chance of having this addressed at some point, somehow? Or is it just me having to deal with suffering from eye problems? I'm experiencing similar issues with low hanging sun IRL a lot more than decades ago, but it isn't even remotely as bad as it became in DCS a few years ago. This really makes it hard for me... I want to enjoy this great module (as well as others) and the fantastic immersion of VR, but it's not easy at all when I feel to be totally blind...

• Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

🤔 Well I guess I did understand what are you saying, but my personal experience is totally different. I don't see any problem with visibility. Somtimes there are reflections or sunrays, which can make some situations tricky, but I guess that's just mimicking real world problems. 

Still I try to offer you a solution, but it's very tedious task but maybe worth a try. I use a Oculus Quest 2, but use Steam VR, just because I can use reshade to make adjustments to my visuals in clarity and colors. Maybe you could tweak your vr experience, so you could enjoy it more with reshade.

McDan out

Edited by McDaniel

|AMD 7800x3D | 64GB DDR5-3600| GTX 4090 | Virpil Stick, Collectiv, WW MIP, WW Throttle, MFG Crosswind V2 | Windows 11 64-bit | SSD Samsung | 4K LG Oled 48 | Oculus Q3 | Simlab based Cockpit

Can you post a picture that shows this?  I can see tinted canopy in VR in various aircrafts (more prominent with the Hornet), but don’t have any visibility issue. 

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

or maybe you have the anti-sun down? I dont see any issue here. I use 2.0 gamma.

sTrd1WW.jpg

• Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Hmm can't say I see this issue myself.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Colours are tuned for gamma 2.2, so it’s recommended to use that.

Especially since DCS 2.7 it’s quite important to use a proper gamma setting.

I have no issues with visibility in VR…

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I definitely do not have this problem in VR. In fact, the pilot's canopy glass is too transparent. I really can't tell the difference when the door is opened and closed. I think I'm using 1.9 gamma.

• Like 1

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

• 4 weeks later...
  • Solution

Thanks for your comments. It actually was the 3Dmigoto mod not working properly for me, I use it to reduce the haze intensity to 0.4 since the Mustang shader isn't working anymyore. Well, that and my crappy eyes (need some more post-cataract-surgery laser shots into my left eye actually). Hadn't been flying any other modules after the Apache release, so I thought it was just it. With the mod, I can see things much better, and it also has some options that Reshade would supply, I may even try playing around with those. Also, switching the monocle off made it a bit better, but I'd prefer to have the immersion of it being visible.

• Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I see you've solved your problem Eldur. I had similar issues plus frame rate nastiness getting my G2 sorted out in DCS. The solution was getting WMR and SteamVR resolution right, setting gamma at the start of the mission (map, cloud cover, time of day require changes on occasion), and Reshade. The first two had to come first but Reshade made DCS what I expected from the new box (I9-11900/3080Ti) and the G2. NO FPS DROP! Make DCS Look Great! - YouTube convinced me to try. The best settings on my machine match closely those suggested in the video. They would have been fine but I had to prove it to myself. Gamma, though, has been the key to appropriate light levels for me. The no FPS drop claim has been spot on in my experience.

Edited by tweet

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2022 at 12:56 AM, Dave317 said:

Does the 3Dmigoto mod make a difference for the ah64?

Not that I'm aware of. And yes, the glass tint still is there for me as well, but it's by far not as bad with the haze reduced.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I am fine with sun reflections on the instruments or canopy. In VR I can stereoscopically look through canopy reflections. I guess in pancake this may be more difficult and perhaps a solution to this is required.

As for the instruments having sun reflection on them.... As in real life... that is just bad luck! 

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.