Rearm and refuel- empty external tanks

jed40

With external tank, hot refuel on ground does not fill the external tank even if I select 100%. Only internal tank are filled at 100%. With same configuration it's ok with AAR. All tank are filled.

Have you already notice this problem ?

Thanks

Track :

https://mega.nz/file/l74kwJyD#mFrOGuH8ME0ABFpWqoscqXcwZV3KVBLT5nwOzlyXZ9c

Edited by jed40

The fuel slider only reflects the internal tank, ED currently has no system in place to refill the external tanks aside from natural fuel flow or just removing the tanks and putting them back on. For the F-16, you can depressurize the external tanks by opening the AR door and fuel will flow into them naturally.

• Thanks 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

• ED Team

Hi this is correct as is currently

you need to remove the tanks and add them again. 

I have requested a slider for external tank refuel but I can not say if this will be added yet. 

thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, jed40 said:

With external tank, hot refuel on ground does not fill the external tank even if I select 100%. Only internal tank are filled at 100%. With same configuration it's ok with AAR. All tank are filled.

You can open AAR doors to depressurize the tanks and then they will start filling up, note that your total fuel need to be below 3k for tanks on stations 4 and 6 to fill up to full, otherwise they will fill up to some % depending on how much fuel you have left in your internal tanks.

Then you can drop the tanks before landing, or click the ground jettison switch and drop them on the ground. then rearm with new tanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody, 

This is an old bug but still present. 

Every time you ask for a rearm and refuel and you select external tanks, if your current configuration already have the external tanks mounted, at the end of the operation the new tanks will remain empty and your total fuel will be about 7000lbs.(cant remember exactly the number) 

The workaround is:

ask for a first rearm and refuel with no tanks, then ask for a second rearm and refuel including tanks. That way your total amount of fuel is correct. 

Thanks! 

• Like 3

• ED Team

Hi SkHiTech

this is correct as is at the moment. For the external tanks to be refuelled they have to be removed currently.

We are considering adding a fuel slider for external tanks. 

thanks

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Confirmed, please fix it because it's REALLY annoying and often slows down operations, especially in MP.

EDIT: @BIGNEWY let me understand, you mean that it works like this also IRL? I ask because I am not aware of this and, to be honest, sounds quite strange to me.

Edited by BlueRaven
  • Like 2

BlueRaven.jpg

Nulla Dies Sine Linea

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, BlueRaven said:

Confirmed, please fix it because it's REALLY annoying and often slows down operations, especially in MP.

EDIT: @BIGNEWY let me understand, you mean that it works like this also IRL? I ask because I am not aware of this and, to be honest, sounds quite strange to me.

No not real life. 

In game it has been this way for many years on all modules, to refuel empty tanks on the ground they need to be removed and added again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulToo said:

You can fill the external tanks if you open the air refuel hatch. You need to have under a certain amount of fuel left (don't remember how much) for it to fill up all the tanks though.

Thanks mate, I will for sure try this! :thumbsup:

BlueRaven.jpg

Nulla Dies Sine Linea

It works kinda funny. The slider represents internal fuel so during refueling fuel will flow into or out of the external tanks as long as fuel is being put internal. But this may or may not result in full external tanks especially if only loading a small amount of fuel to internal space.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2022 at 2:27 PM, PaulToo said:

You can fill the external tanks if you open the air refuel hatch. You need to have under a certain amount of fuel left (don't remember how much) for it to fill up all the tanks though.

FYI this may or may not work; last time I tried... it did not work for me. But earlier this year and or last year, it worked for me a couple of times.

So... this isn't actually a solution.

ED needs to give us an actual solution.

2 hours ago, XCNuse said:

FYI this may or may not work; last time I tried... it did not work for me. But earlier this year and or last year, it worked for me a couple of times.

.... which is, if you select to refill external tanks, these have to be refilled.

Indeed its very annoying, and I didn`t even cross my mind to drop the empty ones before refilling. Now I at least know that I have to drop them in the 1st place before refill. 

4 hours ago, XCNuse said:

I tested it before posting. The internal tanks need to have more free capacity than what you can put into the drop tanks for it to work. If the main tanks don't the refueling stops once the non-drop tank full level is reached. The fuel goes first into the drop tanks and after they are full the internal tanks get filled. I think if you remove fuel the drop tanks are also the first that get emptied, but not to sure about it. There was a thread about it a while ago with some technical explanations as to the why the tanks get filled with the refuel hatch open, something about pressure.

But I agree that this is a workaround and that it would be nice to be able to fill the drop tanks separate from the internal tanks in the rearm&refueling window.

• Like 1

The actual solution, at least the one which will work at the moment to the desired end state, is to unmount the tanks from the station, fuel internal, and then remount the tanks as they come in their full state. This achieves what the user wants just not in an exact recreation of the process that would happen in reality.

A system which replicates how this is done in reality could be tricky. Some aircraft have a centralized fueling port that can fill externals using the main system and some need the tanks themselves topped off directly. The F-16 I believe is the former type so possibly the best way is some sort of checkbox to continue filling to all external capacity. Otherwise having the ability to modify stores at the stations directly without re-initializing them would dovetail well into the upcoming armament dialog which would be effectively the same thing without having a special case solution.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yea. This has been a shortcoming for such a long time. With A2A refueling, the tanks gets topped off, which is nice. Due to this "bug", jettisoning your fuel tanks before landing becomes a habit, so you don't have to rearm twice before heading back out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Photon said:

Yea. This has been a shortcoming for such a long time. With A2A refueling, the tanks gets topped off, which is nice. Due to this "bug", jettisoning your fuel tanks before landing becomes a habit, so you don't have to rearm twice before heading back out.

You can open AAR doors prior to rearming and refueling on the ground to depressurize the tanks, they will start filling, but as internal tanks are filling up as well the filling process will stop when internals are full so it may leave your external tanks not filled up,

so the less fuel in internals you have the more it will fill external tanks, I tend to burn my fuel till 3000 is left total so externals will fill up to full when I rearm my jet.

• Thanks 1

Personally, I think the holy grail is to have the fuel slider control total fuel (like it does in the mission editor) and also to have the ability to directly control the fuel in each tank (including drop tanks), where applicable/possible to do so.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 4

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

5 hours ago, Furiz said:

You can open AAR doors prior to rearming and refueling on the ground to depressurize the tanks, they will start filling, but as internal tanks are filling up as well the filling process will stop when internals are full so it may leave your external tanks not filled up,

so the less fuel in internals you have the more it will fill external tanks, I tend to burn my fuel till 3000 is left total so externals will fill up to full when I rearm my jet.

Yea. That's a nice work-around that will work in some cases. However, if you have burned mostly your external fuel, and land with a lot of internal, I guess it will not fill up the externals even one bit.

So then you're left with two un-natural scenarios

1. Burn a lot of extra fuel to give yourself less internal fuel

2. Jettison the external tanks

Neither is a good option immersion wise, but it is what it is. I guess I will keep jettisoning all my external tanks over random villages

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Photon said:

Neither is a good option immersion wise, but it is what it is. I guess I will keep jettisoning all my external tanks over random villages

They do burn fuel in real life cause they don't want to land heavy on some short runways, so its not rly immersion killer (dropping tanks is tho), I burn fuel every time I need to rearm and refuel for immersion and it consumes few minutes of your time.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Furiz said:

They do burn fuel in real life cause they don't want to land heavy on some short runways, so its not rly immersion killer (dropping tanks is tho), I burn fuel every time I need to rearm and refuel for immersion and it consumes few minutes of your time.

Burning jet fuel when your landing weight is perfectly fine is though

Since nobody mentioned it yet, another extremely quick workaround is to hit GND JETT ENABLE then EMER STORES JETTISON while on the ground. The tanks will thunk off allowing you to rearm with fresh ones immediately.