Rearm and refuel- empty external tanks

jed40

Currently an engine limitation for refueling. Best option for now is to remove and replace the fuel tank: 

The afterburner on the F-16 guzzles a lot of gas, but check your fuel flow rate first and make sure you're not leaking.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

On 8/30/2022 at 1:16 AM, Juanillo said:

After refueling in ground, when you go AB your tank will empty in no time. I mean, very fast. Just like 20 secods...
Is that normal?

Yes, Viper is thirsty little bird, be careful with your AB.

On 8/30/2022 at 2:02 AM, Tholozor said:

Currently an engine limitation for refueling.

While doing AAR it will refuel all tanks to full, how is it engine limitation?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Furiz said:

While doing AAR it will refuel all tanks to full, how is it engine limitation?

Because there's no way currently set up to do it on the ground. The slider on the rearm panel only considers internal fuel (like you mentioned before, the amount of internal fuel needed must be at least the same amount needed to put into the external tanks to get them full). AAR just goes until fuel flow stops to declare transfer complete.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

4 hours ago, Tholozor said:

Because there's no way currently set up to do it on the ground. The slider on the rearm panel only considers internal fuel (like you mentioned before, the amount of internal fuel needed must be at least the same amount needed to put into the external tanks to get them full). AAR just goes until fuel flow stops to declare transfer complete.

That sounds logical.

Then I guess ext fuel tank slider is good idea, since the slider atm considers only internal tanks,

I always thought since we can choose which ones to empty first during flight and game sees them as separate objects interlinked together to make a whole it would act the same on the ground. But cause of the rearm window it not like that.

23 hours ago, Furiz said:

Yes, Viper is thirsty little bird, be careful with your AB.

I know that. But empty the tank  in les than 20 secs must be a bug. its abusive. It only happen when rearm and refuel as mentioned before. Other times I have a High flow but wont deplete in 20 secs lol

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2022 at 12:56 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi this is correct as is currently

you need to remove the tanks and add them again. 

I have requested a slider for external tank refuel but I can not say if this will be added yet. 

thanks

How is this correct if you requested it be fixed?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has there been any further looks into fixing the refuel programming? Having read through the previous comments, it makes sense that the current system is 1:1. Im just curious if there was a way to change the coding so that it can recognize that external tanks are installed and filling the external tanks first before filling the internal cells even with using the normal slidder we have. That would make the refueling model/cinematic more realistic and could be applied to all models. Just me thinking aloud from my experience.

• 3 months later...

I ran into this earlier today on a long session. I'll look at playing a quick session to confirm and supply track.

After a long flight, I landed on cvn-71 super carrier. Came to a stop and began Refuel and Rearm.

Refuel seemed to bring my internal tank up to full and provided around 1000 lbs to each external tank.

Rearming properly loaded weapons, but did not change out empty/partial tanks for full ones. So I had about 14k lbs of fuel instead of normal 17k.

What seemed to "work" was to first load weapons and remove the drop Tanks, then load new drop Tanks again. 

I am unsure if this is specific to carrier(s) or if this is just the hornet itself.

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

Ok. Obviously, this has been an issue before. I just finished a small mission just running full burn and fuel dump on the deck. tanks went to zero, and I initiated refuel and rearm at 8,450 fuel. it filled up my internals and didn't touch the drop tanks at all. I'm unsure if it's because they were in oride position or not. but yes, they seemingly were not replaced or fueled at all.

However, this creates a bigger question for me: In all my time playing this is the first time I've noticed this. Until this session rearming would actually replace my tanks in all of my sessions. edit: I've watched as the indicator went from whatever fuel was in the tank to the full 3000 lb without climbing.

It's as if the tanks were previously considered "weapons" to be rearmed/replaced then became some sort of "other" item like NVG/JHMCS/Apache radar etc that isn't loaded/armed in the normal sense but lacked the actual adjustment options.

Edited by AegisFX

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

In DCS, a refueling operation will halt once the internal fuel level reaches 100% (the fuel slider does not take external tanks into account). In the Hornet, if an external fuel tank control switch is placed to ORIDE, the relevant tank(s) will be pressurized on the ground, and fuel will flow directly from the external tank(s) to the internal tanks. Realistically speaking with an external tank pressurized, no fuel would be allowed to enter the external tanks while pressurized, depending on the refueling pressure (assuming the aircraft is refueled via the single-point refueling port, this doesn't take into account if the external tanks are refueled via the exterior fill port, which you wouldn't use to refuel anyway if the external tank was already pressurized). With the switch in the NORM position, pressurization is not provided with weight-on-wheels, and fuel transfer from external to internal will not happen until the aircraft is weight-off-wheels.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor

• ED Team

Threads merged. 

A request has been made for adding a slider for the tanks on the rearm menu, I have no news to share on this however. 

For now you will need to remove spent tanks and add them again. 

thank you

• Like 5

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 6 months later...

Glad I found this. Thought I had to switch something on the fuel panel for the center line tank to get refueled on the ground. Detaching and adding the tank is the way to go. Would be nice if the feature of refilling ext. tanks could be added.

On 7/26/2023 at 2:06 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Threads merged. 

A request has been made for adding a slider for the tanks on the rearm menu, I have no news to share on this however. 

For now you will need to remove spent tanks and add them again. 

thank you

hopefully after 6 month this feature is close to be ready for the general public

Can you please add this feature in DCS core. F-16 take no longer than 4min to rearm that way and they even don't shootdown engines. Fuel tanks doesn't get installed full; they are part of the refueling process. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2024 at 8:28 AM, gulredrel said:

Thanks, will try next time. Was not sure as this thread has quite a long history with different opinions and I guess changes throughout DCS versions whether this is a workaround or not.

Through lots of landings and refueling I came to conclusion that game refuels the jet on the ground until internal tanks are full,

so if Internal Fuel is at around 2300lbs or less and AAR door open, it will depressurize the external tanks and they will be filled up to full.