Were you able to learn to use a button box consistently without needing to lift your VR headset up to look at it?

HoneyBadger

I'm considering buying the VPC Control Panel 2 to add to my setup but I'm worried that I may have to lift my headset up to use it, therefore breaking my immersion. Before I spend £200, I just want a bit of assurance from people here that do use button boxes with VR headsets if it's worth it or not. Can you use your button box consistently (emphasis on "consistently", were you're not thumbling around or misclicking 1/3rd of the time) without needing to lift your headset up?

Edited by HoneyBadger

1 hour ago, HoneyBadger said:

I'm considering buying the VPC Control Panel 2 to add to my setup but I'm worried that I may have to lift my headset up to use it, therefore breaking my immersion. Before I spend £200, I just want a bit of assurance from people here that do use button boxes with VR headsets if it's worth it or not. Can you use your button box consistently (emphasis on "consistently", were you're not thumbling around or misclicking 1/3rd of the time) without needing to lift your headset up?

I use a variety of small, self-adhesive cabinet door bumper cushions found at any hardware store. Placed on the buttons, they provide tactile feedback. You can also use small pieces of Velcro on selected buttons.

Edited by Habu_69
  • Like 1

yep, easy...just like using buttons in your car without looking at them.  It's all feel...as long as the button device is designed with various input control elements (i.e., toggles, encoders buttons, etc.) it's easy and intuitive to use in VR.  I have 4 of them!

Compare this with a keyboard.  With a keyboard all of the keys are the same and unless you are a pro typer-person, they are pretty easy to use without at least getting a glance at it...try it!  Close your eyes, guess a key and then try to pick it on the first try...In fact, any well designed button controller MUST afford the user with the opportunity to interact with it else it becomes entirely meaningless it if does not.

Edited by DerekSpeare

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

• Like 1

I910900K, 4090, 32gb,Varjo Aero, no compromises: all VR all the time. 

I tried this, for me it works if you hook your fingers over the edge of the box and use your thumb to hit the buttons. The gear lever and things like that with large controls that you move a comparably long distance are much easier to use. You need something, in my experience, to anchor yourself to so that you can get the correct button or switch, for the smaller stuff.

I found that strapping a left-handed trackball to my chair next to my throttle was better - I can easily move my hand to get the mouse and click the switch in the cockpit. Obviously that's not efficient for the gear and flaps, but I have enough switches on my throttle to cover those. That said - left handed trackballs can be expensive!

• Like 1

Do you use VR? Do you feel sad when you are just a dismbodied set of eyes floating in the cockpit? Check out my list of paid aircraft modules that support the visible virtual pilot body:

I bought an used virpil CM1 throttle (the big one with the detents) couple of weeks ago and an used rift s. The throttle arrived before the rift and i set it up and used it a bit with my flatscreen and headtracker. I used a TWCS throttle wich has only buttons on the grip before the virpil throttle and i got used to all the buttons quite easy. The only thing that doesn't work that well is my memory about the mode switch, "Why is my landing gear not going down?" in the meantime navigation lights go on/off/on/off/on/off. 

I think if you can mount it always on the same position via a fixed cockpit or maybe some deskmounts, it should be easy to navigate all the buttons. 

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick

Use five different USB controllers not including rudder pedals which are a no brainer to use.  Custom built pit chair with everything measured and placed for natural dexterity.  No problems, never need to peek.  Placement is everything in VR.

En 27/3/2022 a las 16:28, HoneyBadger dijo:

If you are using a reverb G2, I use the voice recognition in WMR and saying "linterna activada" (in english see microsoft wmr voice recognition on your languaje) it shows me in a circle my  pastrough video where I can see my MFD and my controls, when I reach them, saying "linterna desactivada" closes the passtrough.

Hope it helps

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

I have all of the WingWing panels: Startup that comes with the throttle, Takeoff, and Combat as well as a pair of TM Cougar MFDs. When I am not in a panic, I can consistently navigate all of the panels almost reflexively. I tend to grab a reference point such as the corner of a panel or a uniquely shaped control, then count over to avoid flipping the wrong switch. When in combat or in a hurry, I tend to make mistakes or fumble for a few precious seconds before finding a reference point. But most switches/knobs/levers that I use all the time, I grab reflexively even when panicked.

I have PointCTRL, too. PointCTRL works almost as well as a mouse. But I have two problems with using it compared to the aforementioned physical panel controls:
1) I have to more or less look at the switch I want to operate whereas I can be looking over my shoulder and still find physical switches on my USB control panels.
2) I live in Florida with bright sunny days which disrupt the PointCTRL IR sensor unless I black out my windows or wait until sunset to fly.

Once you can rapidly grab real world controls with few errors, there is nothing faster or more precise, but PointCTRL encourages learning where all the controls are on the real panels instead of memorizing arbitrary assignments to USB panels. In combat I prefer the real panels, but for start-up, takeoff, and navigation PointCTRL is as good or better.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I built a generic cockpit for VR with unique buttons for easy recognition. With over 500 hours in the seat, I can go directly to the desired switch. Also very immersive having switches in the accurate location. The Virpil stick and custom twin throttle cover the remaining functions.

SCHOOL

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1819.JPG

• Like 1

I use the Virpil Control Panel 2 in VR and I must say I struggle a bit with hitting the buttons.

Obviously the landing gear lever is no problem and also the three dials below it work well. The 4 buttons right next to the lever are also OK.
For me it´s a bit problematic with the momentary switches on the lower left and the six buttons on the lower right. I usually go down from the landing gear lever and then have to count to find the correct switch/button.

And well, another thing is remembering what all the buttons do, as you can´t use any color codes or put the little symbols in the buttons.
So honestly, for the most part I just use the landing gear lever, most other stuff is faster and easier to click in the cockpit with the mouse.
But maybe I simply have to practice more...

9 hours ago, Eugel said:

I use the Virpil Control Panel 2 in VR and I must say I struggle a bit with hitting the buttons.

Obviously the landing gear lever is no problem and also the three dials below it work well. The 4 buttons right next to the lever are also OK.
For me it´s a bit problematic with the momentary switches on the lower left and the six buttons on the lower right. I usually go down from the landing gear lever and then have to count to find the correct switch/button.

And well, another thing is remembering what all the buttons do, as you can´t use any color codes or put the little symbols in the buttons.
So honestly, for the most part I just use the landing gear lever, most other stuff is faster and easier to click in the cockpit with the mouse.
But maybe I simply have to practice more...

my dude, give these a look, they really help https://www.etsy.com/listing/1170534558/f18-hornet-toggle-set-11-toggle-covers?ref=yr_purchases

I910900K, 4090, 32gb,Varjo Aero, no compromises: all VR all the time. 

For another reference: I use the Virpil CP2 in VR and have no trouble finding buttons.   Muscle memory gets me close although sometimes a few buttons off from what I intend.  The trick is to memorize the layout and use the extra fingers on your hand to reference "landmarks" (e.g. the sides, the lever, the dividers between switches) to double check where you are.  There is enough variety on the device that you can relatively quickly find what you're searching for in my experience.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 7:16 PM, Phoonzang said:

For another reference: I use the Virpil CP2 in VR and have no trouble finding buttons.   Muscle memory gets me close although sometimes a few buttons off from what I intend.  The trick is to memorize the layout and use the extra fingers on your hand to reference "landmarks" (e.g. the sides, the lever, the dividers between switches) to double check where you are.  There is enough variety on the device that you can relatively quickly find what you're searching for in my experience.

Same here.