laser rangefinder issue??

eatthis

im trying to learn cpg (very slowly!!)  and iv got the gun selected (dotted) got the tads facing the target, master arm on. sometimes the gun will fire others it wont and i have idea why. the range is showing man 3000 (3km?) . i thought you changed it by boxing it then typing a and enter on the keypad? that does nothing, what am i doing wrong?

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

Range setting shouldn't prevent you from firing the weapon.  If you can't fire the gun, you have missed something.  Double check Arm/Safe setting and and that the gun is WAS'd up.  Entering A into KU for range just means autorange is enabled, which means it will estimate range based on your radar altitude and downward angle on the TADS/IHADSS.  What the MPD shows (MANRANGE) is not what you should look at to verify your setting.  That just shows you the default for that seat.  Look in the left hand bottom of the TADS/IHADSS and (let's say your estimated range is 2.5k) it will show A2.5.  Otherwise, set your range manually.  For example, if you plan to engage at 1500 and disengage at 800 then set your range manually to something like 1100 and split the difference.

But setting autorange has nothing to do with the gun being able to fire or not.  

as gunner, i would recommend mapping the tedac handgrip weapon selector, and tedac weapon trigger. this will mean you dont have to worry about trigger guard. for firing the gun as cpg a few things have to align,

master arm must be on, (in multiplayer this means the pilot and gunner must both see master arm on, due to desync)
tads as sight source

gun selected

the gun must be in a position where it can fire, if you see a message right above your high action display that may clue you in to what is out of limits

Elevation limit- gun cant look that far up or down
Azimuth Limit - gun cant look that far to the side
BAL limit- the gun cant shoot that far

Man range will tell the gun how far you think the target is away, when not lasing

If you lase and fire, the gun will use the laser range.

If you are in the CPG seat, you shouldn't be using auto range anyway except in a snap engagement where you don't have time to lase.  The LRF is activated by the trigger on the right hand grip (I don't remember the name of the keybind off the top of my head), and there is a 1st detent for range only, and second detent for guidance for the hellfire (though it will generate a range just fine, so if you don't have a 2 stage trigger just bind the second stage only).  Take that half second to lase before you fire and you'll be MUCH more accurate.

It sounds like you are out of limits on the cannon, ie the elevation or azimuth is too large for the cannon to engage.  That would explain the interment ability to shoot.

4 hours ago, glen.a.williamson said:

Did you remember to raise the trigger guard ?

trigger guard and master arm on

4 hours ago, Jenrick said:

If you are in the CPG seat, you shouldn't be using auto range anyway except in a snap engagement where you don't have time to lase.  The LRF is activated by the trigger on the right hand grip (I don't remember the name of the keybind off the top of my head), and there is a 1st detent for range only, and second detent for guidance for the hellfire (though it will generate a range just fine, so if you don't have a 2 stage trigger just bind the second stage only).  Take that half second to lase before you fire and you'll be MUCH more accurate.

It sounds like you are out of limits on the cannon, ie the elevation or azimuth is too large for the cannon to engage.  That would explain the interment ability to shoot.

it was straight off the nose so well within limits.
if you lase doesnt that autorange anyway?

Make sure you "WAS" the weapon from the TEDAC handgrip, if you "WAS" it from the cyclic, you'll need to push the cyclic trigger. I'd recommand you to just map the TEDAC for CPG, boresight, make sure LASER is activated in WPN -> UTIL (as CPG), this kind of stuff. And yes, lasing would autorange the gun to the last laser distance it measure, so in other word, unlike "AUTO" range with the A00.0 distance, you're gun will still kept that range if you move youre sight away.

19 hours ago, jayst0r said:

@eatthis the message IHADS borside required means you have to boresight your IHADS.

To do that refer to Page 245 of the manual.

it was boresighted, everything worked too, then it didnt

On 3/27/2022 at 5:12 PM, eatthis said:

It was straight off the nose so well within limits.
if you lase doesnt that autorange anyway?

Range yes.  Auto range, no unless you pull to the second detent and hold (ie believe, it's been a week or so since I flew the Apache and messed around in the CPG seat).  If you have a target at A, and range with the first detent it will give you the range (say 2000m) and it will use that range regardless of if you fly towards the target, away, or ciricle it.  If you hold the second detent down, it will continually adjust range regardless of opening or closing range and you will in general be much more on target.