Simpit progress.

Sr.

I started this build a few months ago while we were doing some junk clean up at work.

We tend to accumulate lots of out dated tech stuff and when I look at it in a pile, my inner Macgyver kicks in and my inner voice says "hey, I could use that for____________"

It's a curse.

The frame is cut and bolted together from an aluminum 2 post server/equip rack, very strong.

Later, I used one of the "feet" of the rack to cut out some custom pedals for the Crosswinds. They are about 1/4" thick aluminum as well.

The seat was an old, leather office chair. I liked this chair as the back and seat are one piece. Replace the cushion with some thicker memory foam, and made a rough cut out for stick extensions.

The side control surfaces are some scrap plywood bolted to the side of the chair covered in 3/16" black foam board.

Keyboard slider from an old desk.

And an extension type base for the VKB Gladiator made from an old projector ceiling mount. This this is great as it allows for adjustment in any/every direction. Made pattern from the sticks base plate, then used a cut off wheel to make the projector top plate match perfectly to the underside of the NXT, attached using the original screws.

When I floored the room that is my office, I installed a 1/4" plywood subfloor and the typical office square carpeting. The floor of the pit is a very thin piece of MDF screw to the plywood subfloor and the crosswind pedals screwed in place.

I then cut a few 4x4 blocks to raise it off the floor a bit... for comfort.

Still a work in progress. 

rack.jpg

mount.jpg

pedals.jpg

pit.jpg

side.jpg

Edited by Sr.
  • Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

• Sr. changed the title to Simpit progress.
  • 2 weeks later...

So I made a Bodnar button box...

Works nicely as the left / rear panel in the Apache... those can be hard to see in VR, let alone manipulate.

The upper right group of push buttons are for George AI commands.

Plan to add a 3pos switch (starter) and try to replicate the APU switch and guard... if anyone has any suggestions for sourcing one. 😉

20220409_122343.jpg

20220409_183206.jpg

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

• 2 months later...

There was a guy on YouTube who built an F-14 pit....One of the switches he created had a safety cover. In the video, it's well described but basically my memory says he built the cover (the actual safety cover, hinged to go up/down as needed), and hooked up a short length of thin but stiff wire to actuate a switch that was under the panels. This switch activated the safety cover in-game. When he closed the cover, the switch was toggled "off" and closed it inb-game. Very clever method!

The actual switch was one, and there was a second (under-dash) switch for the safety cover.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VZ_342 said:

Found a thread which may be what I'm thinking of....although I'm pretty sure the idea was in a YouTube video.

No.  What you're describing had a physical switch which was activated by the cover, and the physical switch under it.
The SwitchWithCover2Pos function works on one physical switch. When you flip the switch, it opens the cover in DCS, then flips the switch.

If you want physical switch cover stuff, have a look here:

• Like 1