Work on Combined Arms

JeffC

vor 20 Stunden schrieb NineLine:

Not true, we have some tweaks and fixes coming through in the next patch, and other work behind the scenes. 

We have had a number of AI ground forces fixes over the last few patches as well, and more on the way. Now its nothing big and flashy right now, but hardly abandoned for forgotten. It is still one of my favorite aspects of DCS missions. 

Now you got me excited 🙂

• Like 2

Module has been out for 11 years

-still no working thermals

-still wonky fire control systems

-AI still shooting through trees and bushes

-still using hit points as damage models / no real armor modelling.

-still broken reloading

-still massive issues with waypoints / pathfinding / units not responding

-still no way to load infantry without scripting

I could go on. Whats the point?

Edited by Apocalypse31
  • Like 7

• ED Team
4 hours ago, Apocalypse31 said:

Module has been out for 11 years

-still no working thermals

-still wonky fire control systems

-AI still shooting through trees and bushes

-still using hit points as damage models / no real armor modelling.

-still broken reloading

-still massive issues with waypoints / pathfinding / units not responding

-still no way to load infantry without scripting

I could go on. Whats the point?

What do you mean no working thermals?

"-still wonky fire control systems"
We are not making a full fidelity ground sim, so not sure what you mean.

"-AI still shooting through trees and bushes"
Not true, and being further improved internally. But perhaps you mean seeing through bushes and trees, again all being worked on. 

"-still using hit points as damage models / no real armor modelling."
This is a huge task for something not built for the fidelity we would want to see. 

"-still broken reloading"
Broken how? I reported the ready racks, but if you are seeing an issue with reloading I would love to hear about it in a proper bug report.

"-still massive issues with waypoints / pathfinding / units not responding"
Again, I need tracks, we have had fixes come through the last couple weeks for pathfinding, and more on the way and more to be fixed.

"-still no way to load infantry without scripting"
You can embark troops in the sim, not sure what you mean here either.

"I could go on. Whats the point?"
If you want to report issues, do so, if you don't, then don't but you need to level your expectations, CA was never meant to be a full blown full fidelity ground vehicle simulation, and while we make improvements towards a better sim of ground vehicles, its not going to be a full blown sim, its always meant to be a support module for missions and such. Used as intended it adds a lot of enjoyment and dynamics to most any mission. 

• Like 2

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

"-AI still shooting through trees and bushes"
Not true, and being further improved internally. But perhaps you mean seeing through bushes and trees, again all being worked on. 
This is a huge task for something not built for the fidelity we would want to see. 
"-still broken reloading"
Broken how? I reported the ready racks, but if you are seeing an issue with reloading I would love to hear about it in a proper bug report.
Again, I need tracks, we have had fixes come through the last couple weeks for pathfinding, and more on the way and more to be fixed.
"-still no way to load infantry without scripting"
You can embark troops in the sim, not sure what you mean here either.
"I could go on. Whats the point?"
If you want to report issues, do so, if you don't, then don't but you need to level your expectations, CA was never meant to be a full blown full fidelity ground vehicle simulation, and while we make improvements towards a better sim of ground vehicles, its not going to be a full blown sim, its always meant to be a support module for missions and such. Used as intended it adds a lot of enjoyment and dynamics to most any mission. 
About the infantry. I think he expected a true load / unload / transport infantry mechanic on IFVs, APCs , trucks, but the DCS Core never has implement that. Only working by scripting and radio menu... And I think that has only implement on some helos, no on vehicles.

On fact ED team never has talking about implement realistic infantry formations and Infantry IFV coordinate combats (and of course, the lack of infantry types) on DCS Core, all, out of scope of CA.

Enviado desde mi RNE-L21 mediante Tapatalk

One thing I would like to see is the ability to drag select and click to move just like most other strategy games, it would improve the module immensely, I know this is probably very hard and not something that would come soon but I know a few guys who aren't into plane sims who are put off using the ground forces due to the "clunkyness" of the controls.

Take this as a suggestion and not a critique!

• Like 2

The first thing I would like to see is a complete manual. I just started using CA as a TAC Cmd this week and I already have 2 questions. IFV are troop carriers and yet I can't find anything on where to get the troop and how to load and unload them. The second is about the M978 Tanker. What does it do? I parked my Mi-8 next to it and tried to refuel...no go. Other round vehicles don't have gas gauges and I haven't seen any drop downs to request a refuel of anything from the tanker.

BOTTOM LINE IS CA IS WORTHLESS IF YOU CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO USE IT.  

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

• ED Team
8 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

And I think that has only implement on some helos, no on vehicles.

This is not true, while some vehicles that should have it are still missing it, it is on ground vehicles as well.

6 minutes ago, RackMonkey said:

The first thing I would like to see is a complete manual. I just started using CA as a TAC Cmd this week and I already have 2 questions. IFV are troop carriers and yet I can't find anything on where to get the troop and how to load and unload them. The second is about the M978 Tanker. What does it do? I parked my Mi-8 next to it and tried to refuel...no go. Other round vehicles don't have gas gauges and I haven't seen any drop downs to request a refuel of anything from the tanker.

BOTTOM LINE IS CA IS WORTHLESS IF YOU CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO USE IT.  

We just hired a new manual writer I am hoping some of the manuals needing love will get it.

6 hours ago, mmarques said:

One thing I would like to see is the ability to drag select and click to move just like most other strategy games, it would improve the module immensely, I know this is probably very hard and not something that would come soon but I know a few guys who aren't into plane sims who are put off using the ground forces due to the "clunkyness" of the controls.

Take this as a suggestion and not a critique!

These are all features that have been requested, some of them would require a major overhaul to add though, but we are pushing for better controls for these types of things. 

• Like 5

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

vor 13 Stunden schrieb NineLine:

Maybe he means that the stabiliser is not working properly.

He could also be referring to the tracking mode, which works quite well, but the term "wonky" still applies, so a little fine-tuning wouldn't hurt.

Examples AAA

Example TANK

Otherwise, I would also like to know what he means.

Edited by Hobel

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Thanks to confirm them. I had my doubts about this

It is good though, reminds me I need to go through and make a list of what vehicles are still missing embarking and how many they should carry.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

64Sig.png

17 hours ago, NineLine said:

Pathfinding is still the worst since forever.

I hope the next fixes really address this issue.

Sometimes it's really infuriating. Groups getting stuck and also making other groups getting stuck.

Also the behavior of the column formation is broken and has no sense. They get stuck really easy. The group stop moving a few seconds after the first waypoint until you change the formation so they go straight to "yellow dashed line" and then get stuck by scenery.

I don't know how ED is going to do the Dynamic Campaign with this issue.

I'm waiting for these fixes really. CA is almost unplayable.

Thanks.

• Like 2

These are NOT working thermals. 

We're talking about MODERN main battle tanks - their cornerstone is fire control systems and thermal imaging systems. Our current 'lead mode' system or whatever is not accurate not realistic. 

I posted an entire thread on this...You were part of the conversation. 

Would it be so hard to distinguish mobility and firepower kills? Why is it that HE rounds sometimes kill more effectively than AP? that seems insane to reality. 

I've made the reports

I've made the videos

Nobody is asking for a "full fidelity ground vehicle simulation" - we just want something that more closer reflects true vehicle and weapon capabilities. Modern western main battle tanks are built around fire control system and thermal imaging systems. We have neither of those in game - we want what can be expected from reality. Nobody is asking for fully modelled interiors or ultra-technical details of vehicles - we just want the basics to be right. 

The module has existed for 11 years with very little to show. 

15 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

About the infantry. I think he expected a true load / unload / transport infantry mechanic on IFVs, APCs , trucks, but the DCS Core never has implement that. Only working by scripting and radio menu... And I think that has only implement on some helos, no on vehicles.

What's the point of having these vehicles in game if we can't use them for their intended purpose? To serve as Armored PERSONNEL carriers or Infantry Fighting Vehicles - that can actually carry infantry. 

Currently - the ONLY want to transport infantry is via scripting done in the Mission Editor. 

The reality should be that you drive up to any group and can 'embark' and then disembark without any previous scripting requirement. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team
1 minute ago, Apocalypse31 said:

These are NOT working thermals. 

Not working or not correct, remember we are not doing a 1:1 simulation of tanks, but if you have ideas to make it better, then let me know. I have already asked for and we are getting the proper zoom levels for FLIR on the Abrams and Stryker. 

2 minutes ago, Apocalypse31 said:

I posted an entire thread on this...You were part of the conversation. 

Yes, ready racks, as I said, this is reported and I hope to see something soon. On the priority list it isnt as high as many would like, but it is getting action already. 

3 minutes ago, Apocalypse31 said:

Would it be so hard to distinguish mobility and firepower kills? Why is it that HE rounds sometimes kill more effectively than AP? that seems insane to reality. 

Once again, we have low-fidelity DMing on ground units, we do have damage that reduces mobility and weapon usage, but these are band aids till we can get something better.

4 minutes ago, Apocalypse31 said:

Nobody is asking for a "full fidelity ground vehicle simulation" - we just want something that more closer reflects true vehicle and weapon capabilities. Modern western main battle tanks are built around fire control system and thermal imaging systems. We have neither of those in game - we want what can be expected from reality. Nobody is asking for fully modelled interiors or ultra-technical details of vehicles - we just want the basics to be right. 

The module has existed for 11 years with very little to show. 

Again, this was never the scope of the original CA, but it is and I would like to see it expand even more, saying there is very little to show in 11 years is misinformation in that it wasnt intended to do anymore than the original feature set which was complete at the time of release. Now it continues to expand and grow, not as fast as you or anyone may want, but it does. This included many things you specifically asked for. 

• Thanks 1

64Sig.png

7 minutes ago, NineLine said:

Not working or not correct, remember we are not doing a 1:1 simulation of tanks

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2022.06.15 - 07.51.11.66.png

This thermal imager is NOT WORKING  - It is not displaying the correct thermal depiction of vehicles or objects according to their thermal temperatures or signatures. (I'm aiming directly at an enemy tank!)

It would be different if I said that the the in-game leopard is displaying the WRONG COLOR THERMAL (actually green for this model) - that would mean that they are NOT CORRECT.

Nobody is asking for a 1:1 simulation of vehicles, but the M1 Abrams and Leopard 2 tanks have the arguably the most sophisticated thermal imaging packages in the entire world for MBTs - They should, at a minimum, be displaying SOMETHING that appears to be the thermal representation of what they're looking at. 

Edited by Apocalypse31
  • Like 1

• ED Team
32 minutes ago, Apocalypse31 said:

This thermal imager is NOT WORKING  - It is not displaying the correct thermal depiction of vehicles or objects according to their thermal temperatures or signatures. (I'm aiming directly at an enemy tank!)

It would be different if I said that the the in-game leopard is displaying the WRONG COLOR THERMAL (actually green for this model) - that would mean that they are NOT CORRECT.

Nobody is asking for a 1:1 simulation of vehicles, but the M1 Abrams and Leopard 2 tanks have the arguably the most sophisticated thermal imaging packages in the entire world for MBTs - They should, at a minimum, be displaying SOMETHING that appears to be the thermal representation of what they're looking at. 

The new FLIR is not 100% complete, it very well could be this. And this would not be a CA issue but a core issue.

64Sig.png

43 minutes ago, Apocalypse31 said:

What tank is this?

2 hours ago, mmarques said:

I wonder if that tank has the engine on or is it not affected by that

This is a myth.

A tank will ALWAYS draw heat. There are enough energy sources and metallic objects on a tank to draw and hold heat.

Even the smoldering wrecks that we use as target practice on our training ranges provide enough heat to draw a gunners attention in thermals.

2 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

What tank is this?

Leo 2A4 - ironically, now that I noticed...is using American M829A2 APFSDS ammo. Not a big deal but a great example of BROKE versus INCORRECT 

Edited by Apocalypse31

• ED Team
1 minute ago, Hotdognz said:

No mention of VR gun site fixes, its a pain to have to go to 2D and get out of VR just to do the CA stuff in our squads missions, the other sim has done it ok.

CA was never built with VR in mind, it would be a big effort that we just dont have time right now to do. I would love VR, and everyone internally knows people want VR.

• Like 3

64Sig.png

Nineline can we have an update on new infantry behaviour? pinned and supressed infantry, running for cover o9r something like this will be amazing. Also something new about the sniper AI gunners on those APC?

• Like 1

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

3 hours ago, NineLine said:

CA was never built with VR in mind, it would be a big effort that we just dont have time right now to do. I would love VR, and everyone internally knows people want VR.

Is it in official plans? Or just a wishlist item?

You said something is cooking for CA - can we get at least a list of what is planned for CA short and long term?

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria