OpenXR Toolkit Tuning Guide (updated 21/02/23)

edmuss

so i dont see any "Jelly eels" in the spit though i definitely do in the KA50 if i look through the roof and the AH64.. but he 64 is still new so ...  

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

15 minutes ago, edmuss said:

If you're using upscaling then it adds (for me personally) loads of noticable crawling ants (shimmer).  I think these shimmers were also present in vrperfkit and the like but because of the muted, slighty fuzzy nature of the SVR render image it wasn't half as noticeable as compared to the exceptionally clean image generated by OC_ACC.  For me, reducing the render resolution in OXRDT doesn't actually introduce anywhere near as much aliasing (shimmer) as doing so in SVR.  Then as a function of the fuzzy SVR image, people want it sharper so it gets sharpened which gives more shimmer still!

I think what I'm trying to say is that the artwork that ED has created is terrific and it's such a shame that it's been masked by SVR for all this time.  I truely believe that what we're seeing with OC_ACC is so very close to pancake (visual resolution when compared to a 4k monitor aside) and is what ED are wanting us to see; perhaps VR will soon stop being the uglier, slower side of DCS!

Easy enough to test with the PF51T 🙂

I'll have another go this afternoon. I do need MR though as the jittery head movement when scanning without a solid frame rate irks me. I mostly fly the Harrier or Hornet. I'll zap my shaders and see. Take it OCC V 0.63 is fine to use still?

13 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

I will give it a go, i have warbirds & helos, i just fly jets a lot more 🙂 I have also switched off upscaling, so running at 100% 

Are you still able to maintain a solid 45 using the setting you had when using VRPerftoolkit (at 0.80 scaling as I recall and Steam SS @ 100%) or have you had to drop some settings?

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

26 minutes ago, zildac said:

Are you still able to maintain a solid 45 using the setting you had when using VRPerftoolkit (at 0.80 scaling as I recall and Steam SS @ 100%) or have you had to drop some settings?

so far yes 🙂 i even get 45FPS on the super carrier in cold start and looking at the super structure.

though i mislike not having the rather more solid frametime data logs to back that up with 

but the counter is when it drops to 30 as it surely will, it  will still be smooth. I will give the Marianas a go at lunchtime 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

42 minutes ago, zildac said:

I'll have another go this afternoon. I do need MR though as the jittery head movement when scanning without a solid frame rate irks me. I mostly fly the Harrier or Hornet. I'll zap my shaders and see. Take it OCC V 0.63 is fine to use still?

There's a head motion smoothing tool in OXRTK, it will dampen your head movements as a function of your current frametimes (I think). Basically at 100% it gives you a slightly lag to head motion but at 30-50% the lag is imperceptible but it takes out any jittery head movement.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

• edmuss changed the title to Open Composite & OpenXR Toolkit Tuning Guide (updated 04/04/22)
28 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

so far yes 🙂 i even get 45FPS on the super carrier in cold start and looking at the super structure.

though i mislike not having the rather more solid frametime data logs to back that up with 

but the counter is when it drops to 30 as it surely will, it  will still be smooth. I will give the Marianas a go at lunchtime 

That's reassuring, and yes re the 30FPS dip, that is certainly one of the main benefit this solution appears to offer. 👍

8 minutes ago, edmuss said:

There's a head motion smoothing tool in OXRTK, it will dampen your head movements as a function of your current frametimes (I think). Basically at 100% it gives you a slightly lag to head motion but at 30-50% the lag is imperceptible but it takes out any jittery head movement.

Interesting..Is that the "jitter" setting or something similar? I can't recall the menu options off the top of my head.

Edited by zildac

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

I don't recall the exact menu item name and I'm at work so can't check but it's on the third tab along I think?

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

49 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Yeah motion vector shouldn't have anything to do with head rotation.  Camera rotation is handled differently from camera panning. 

Motion vector, or in Oculus terminology "asynchronous space warp" reduces judder along the 3-9 line, or when doing a barrel roll.  Asynchronous time warp uses sensors in the HMD to determine rate of rotation.  To my understanding that's built in and always on. 

How do you go from looking at the left DDI to the right?  If you rotate your head, you're using asynchronous time warp and it should work pretty well; if not, use the toolkit to adjust.  If you pan or strafe our head from left to right, for example if you have to lean in to read the displays, one would hope that asynchronous space warp would take care of the judder.  Although that's a tall order.  The closer the object is to the camera, the more of a stroboscopic effect you're going to get, and even 90fps may not be enough

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

So, just been fiddling with this some more (no conclusion as yet). I've just had a very odd experience in as much as I fired up an instant action mission and had what I thought were NVG's  (same lens effect) appear but were in fact the views from my G2 camera?! I didn't think this was possible with the G2 and I have no idea how or why they appeared. I killed off DCS and restarted, and all was back to normal. Have I missed an option to toggle this somewhere, it would be bloody useful in certain situations....

Edited by zildac

6 minutes ago, j9murphy said:

how do you delete all the settings for the toolkit and start over from scratch?

There is a reset to default option within the VR toolkit settings.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

48 minutes ago, dburne said:

There is a reset to default option within the VR toolkit settings.

Yes, I tried that, however I'm suspicious that my setting have been corrupted or left in an inconsistent state and would like them to be rebuilt.  Maybe they're in the registry somewhere?

1 hour ago, j9murphy said:

Yes, I tried that, however I'm suspicious that my setting have been corrupted or left in an inconsistent state and would like them to be rebuilt.  Maybe they're in the registry somewhere?

Probably best to ask the developer over on the Open XR Toolkit channel on Discord.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 hours ago, j9murphy said:

The OXRTK settings as per attached.

I think if you rename the opencomposite_DCS to opencomposite_DCS.old then it should recreate the folder with a default set of keys as and when you set them using the ingame menu.  If it all goes wrong just rename it back to the original name and it should all be good.

unknown.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edmuss said:

The OXRTK settings as per attached.

I think if you rename the opencomposite_DCS to opencomposite_DCS.old then it should recreate the folder with a default set of keys as and when you set them using the ingame menu.  If it all goes wrong just rename it back to the original name and it should all be good.

unknown.png

prefect!  Exactly what I needed, thank you.

Finally glad to replace SteamVR, just attempting to set up the system. (I just wish ED would just do this all for us!)

Can you remove/delete Steam & SteamVR after installing OXR or are some components still required by the WMR or Reverb G2 elsewhere?

15 minutes ago, pythonpete64 said:

Finally glad to replace SteamVR, just attempting to set up the system. (I just wish ED would just do this all for us!)

Can you remove/delete Steam & SteamVR after installing OXR or are some components still required by the WMR or Reverb G2 elsewhere?

I deleted SteamVR 4 Windows Mixed Reality, SteamVR itself. All gone

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SkipCarey said:

So when you do that and start DCS openxr takes over?

OpenXR takes over by default as long as you’ve placed the correct files in the correct folder and are launching DCS directly. There are some oculus shenanigans that users have gotten used  to that I don’t understand, you can also use Skatezilla to launch VR

Edited by nikoel
  • Like 1

I have had NIS down to 80% without a problem (albeit shimmering like hell) 

3 hours ago, corb said:

I enabled NIS/FSR and scale down to 90% but then DCS just crashes to desktop when I try to start DCS. Any solution? 

Enabling FSR causes a similar behaviour for me: DCS crashes 1-2 seconds into the main menu, and I haven't found any solution, sadly. I cleaned and repaired my install, reinstalled all OXR-related software. No luck, sadly.

I'll say NTTC was made for OpenXR/DCS.

I run MR disabled, OXR tools for WMR @ 80%, OVRTK NIS @100 and get only very slight stutters 3-9 while J-hooking Vegas at about 1000 ft.

DCS settings high, 4x MSAA 9 (just because I can) and it is stunning. 

This evening, I'm going to toggle both ends by another 10% and see if I can retain the visuals.

Would be cool if there was a way to keep different startup configs for the individual DCS maps.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark