OpenXR Toolkit Tuning Guide (updated 21/02/23)

edmuss

10 hours ago, SkipCarey said:

installed as per the guide and Steamvr autostarts everytime even after unchecking autostart in settings ?<<<<scratchin my head

If you're using the stand-alone version try Skatezilla's app.  I fire up WMR, make sure the headset is working, then peek out to launch DCS.  If you're using the Steam version of DCS, I'm not even sure what to tell ya.  I've heard of people launching from a desktop shortcut.  Wonder if installing OXR globally (using the installer .exe) might work.  

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

DCS Standalone/DCS desktop shortcut,Ive given up I will wait till ED provides a way to switch between the two because Im not willing to uninstall Steamvr and WMR for steamvr for my other flightsims IL2/CLOD or anything else vr on steam...............its just to much faffing around and besides AMDs FSR works without all this hassle..............

2 hours ago, DeltaMike said:

If you're using the stand-alone version try Skatezilla's app.  I fire up WMR, make sure the headset is working, then peek out to launch DCS.  If you're using the Steam version of DCS, I'm not even sure what to tell ya.  I've heard of people launching from a desktop shortcut.  Wonder if installing OXR globally (using the installer .exe) might work.  

• Like 1

hello.
I've been following this topic for a while now and I tried it today and it didn't work out. there is a remarkable improvement in sharpness (it's not night and day either) but I can't get used to the loss of fluidity.
The reprojection seems not to work.
i9900k,rtx3090,G2.
I am running in 60hz mode and motion vector on .DCS setting in high.water on medium
flat shadow and MSAA 4x.
It's obviously not perfect or I wouldn't have tried openxr.
But it is very easy to switch from one to the other. (for those who hesitate). 10 files to transfer from one folder to another.
To finish on a positive note I think that as soon as the RTX4090 will be on sale the problem of DCS with the Reverb G2 will be solved by openxr, and it will surely also pass with the Varjo AERO.
Thank you, I had a lot of fun.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Edited by CacooLR07

If you're using reprojection then it's much better to run the headset at 90Hz and then you have the facility to drop down to 45, 30 and 22 brackets.

At 60Hz it will drop down to 30, 20 and 15 brackets which isn't particularly great.

If you can hold your frametimes below 16ms consistently then running at 60Hz with reprojection off is superb, because you're above refresh rate it's always synced and perfectly smooth.

I'd recommend you set 100% resolution and MSAA x2 rather than x4, you'll get better performance with almost identical image quality.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

6 hours ago, SkipCarey said:

DCS Standalone/DCS desktop shortcut,Ive given up I will wait till ED provides a way to switch between the two because Im not willing to uninstall Steamvr and WMR for steamvr for my other flightsims IL2/CLOD or anything else vr on steam...............its just to much faffing around and besides AMDs FSR works without all this hassle..............

You don't have to uninstall SVR.  Try Skatezilla's "updater."   It's more than an updater, it's a DCS dashboard/launchpad.  Among other things it makes it really easy to update and clean your install which might help.  

Good news is, if you follow the instructions in this thread it tends to work.  Bad news is, if you don't....

You *must* (Yes, really really must!) start with a clean installation of DCS. This doesn’t mean a reinstall. Just thorough clean/repair and check. This must be done via the Skatezilla utility here. The default DCS quick repair, light the fires, kick the tires won't do. Do a clean and a repair, make sure that the checkbox to check all the files is selected. Don't skip this step unless you know you have a fresh and clean install. Don't do this half heartedly. You will see people on every page asking to fix issues when they still had files remaining inside their install. Follow every step and it will work

Word.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Disclaimer: I didn't have to do any of that, just transfer some files and it worked straight away.
I'm writing this because I hesitated quite a bit before trying it because I thought it was going to be tedious to make it work.
I think that for the majority of people who do not modify the DCS files all the time it will work easily.
I have a small question: I have not tried the openxr toolkit, does it bring an improvement of the FPS and if so how to get it?
thank you and have fun flying in VR ;)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I admit that this improvement of the sharpness has me much more, but to sacrifice the MSAA 4x is really too expensive to pay (I am very sensitive to aliasing and flickering that cuts me immediately immersion)
but if there is a chance to have the best of both worlds with the openxr toolkit I'm willing to try again.
I am greedy ;)
Anyway, while waiting for the RTX 4090 I have to keep myself busy.

Just to understand, how does NIS work?

So far so good, I´ve set up OXRTK and got really good results. With MR always on, I got solid 45 FPS with the Harrier everywhere and solid 30 FPS with the Hind on Syria.

Mariana Map pushed down the FPS in the Hornet from 30 to around 20, depending how many buildings are rendered in the view, but Marianas is not the usual environment, just for getting some FPS figures by putting heavy load to perform.

Beside the 100% in OXRDT and the super clarity and detailed image, I´m also keeping the MSAA 2x in DCS. Tried no MSAA, which resulted in a "restless" image, with MSAA 2x the image is calm and nice. A really bonus for through the process is, that I´ve added flat shadows in DCS. Before via SteamVR I´ve left shadows off for perfromance reason, now I could add and still get a smooth flying without permanent stutters and shimmering effects.

But how does NIS work exactly? I´ve set it on OXRTK to 88% for the moment, which indicates a resolution around 2700 x 2700. In OXRDT the res. is set to 100% which is around 3160 x 3060 (  can´t recall the exact res. )

Does NIS then reduces the original resolution set in OXRDT of 100% to 88% and then upscales from there back to the 100% resolution? 

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

yep

sorta , same with FSR.

it's kind of like an every-person DLSS (weak sauce version)

• Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Ok, did some testing and have some stutter I need to get rid off.

Switched off MR to do some benchmarking. Good results all that jazz.
But then I decided to check out this Radeon Chill feature, locking my FPS @ 45 with MR OFF.

It was smooth, but the ghosting on trees and buildings was a bit to much in a fast mover. But in the Apache, I was surprised how good it looked.
Was some "smearing/ghosting" on trees when looking out to the side. But head on it was quite good.

So here comes the kicker. Like a clockwork I get stutters at set intervals. I have had it from before, but I have thought it was due to bad MR (OpenVR) together with the apache's rotorblades.

- If I set my camera so I can move it freely (F11), and starts going across the map, every 8th second or so I get it. It's constant, and lasts roughly a second where the picture stutter, but FPS is locked @ 45 FPS. 
- If I turn of my manual overclock of the GPU it's constant. 
- If I turn of Radeon Chill I have 60-70 FPS, but still get stutters, but harder to detect due to inconsistent frames.

It seems to happen at the same time as my GPU usage drops. Hard to be 100% sure, as monitoring the GPU usage and stutter in the VR set at same time is a challenge 😂

AMD 5800X
AMD 6900XT (Overclocked, and with only 100MHz difference on min/max freq)
32GB RAM with XMP profile activated
M.2 SSD Gen 4

Power Plan is set to High Performance and PCI Express Link State Power Management is set to OFF.

Am 6.4.2022 um 18:36 schrieb SkipCarey:

its just to much faffing around and besides AMDs FSR works without all this hassle..............

I do not understand the context. AMD FSR works in DCS/VR and Steam VR?

Bequiet Dark Power Pro P11 850Watt, MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Carbon WiFi
Core i7 11700K@4,9Ghz all Core OC ["stable"], 64GB (2*32) Corsair Vageance 3200 CL16
AMD Radeon RX6900XT Referenz, HP Reverb 1
WD850X 2TB SSD für SIM und 1TB Firecuda 520 für OS
Virpil CM2 Base, Virpil WRB Rudder Pedals, Saitek X55 Throttle, Honeycomb Bravo, Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke

33 minutes ago, onlinetk said:

Yes, there are ways to make FSR and NIS work inside both SteamVR, as well as using OpenComposite/OpenXR.

System: Intel 14700k on MSi z690 DDR4 pro, Arctic Liquid Frozer II 360mm AIO, 64gb ddr4-3600mhz CL16, Gigabyte 4090
Winwing Orion2 F-15EX/F-16EX combo, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, TM Warthog (Shelved)
2x 256gb Vertex 4 SSD's, 2x 1tb Sabrent NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD's, 1x 4.0tb Silicon Power NVMe, 1x 4tb Seagate HDD
VR: Quest 3 (Current), HP Reverb G1 (Shelved)

I've been testing OpenXR for about a week now based on the settings in this guide. I'm extremely pleased with results.

I'm now able to run full high settings in DCS with msaa x2 enabled, the exact same as in 2D pancake mode. With the increased graphics presets, my visuals are also better and sharper thanks to NIS upscaling (77%) and sharpening (70%)--the default settings I was previously using from vrperfkit. 

I started with a custom render resolution of 100% at first, but I'm finding I can run 150% with NIS enabled and still maintain smooth frames.

Given the number of DCS players using WMR headsets via the G2 and legacy G1, DCS would benefit tremendously from native OpenXR support. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, onlinetk said:

This is about switching off steamvr and using WMR natively...

You get fsr and nis and ffr as a byproduct 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

I´ve now locked reprojection in the toolkit to 45Hz. 45Hz feels much smoother and does not cause eye strain to me, as it feels with 30hz.

It looks like the reprojection is triggered from 45Hz to 30Hz, when it´s just below 45Hz - no surprise, but with the same settings as before, I´ve reached 38FPS - 42FPS with ocked 45Hz instead of permanent 30FPS when unlocked.

So next step was to achieve constant 45 FPS by reducing clouds to ´high´ instead ´ultra´ and turning shadows completely off ( the mirrors in the cockpits are off anyways - in the Hornet the mirrors are a frame killer for my system ). ... much better now and I could keep up FPS above 40 and most time constantly with the Viper and Hornet in low level flight over large cities on Syria, Caucasus and Las Vegas. 

When locked at 45Hz the FPS down to 43FPS aren´t such noticable, but below 43FPS some stutters could be observed to left and right ( in low level flight over large cities only ). I could live with that, as most of the time the 45/46 FPS when locked could be maintained.

On the Nevada map constantly maintained 45/46FPS even with 500 knots in low level flight over the strip with the Viper.

With helicopters things are different a lot, when locked at 45Hz! Apache: around 30 or even lower - stutterfest. Hind the same: stutterfest low FPS.

Surprisingly the KA-50 is not affected: NOE flight over Sukhumi with 250 Kph and between the buildings with a rocksolid 45/46 FPS.

Another surprise was that the Huey is also affected of low FPS and stutterfest, when locked reprojection at 45Hz.

... then DCS was no longer playable as the low FPS didn´t return to 90 FPS, when going back into the main menu, what for sure has nothing to do with OpenXR 🙄.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

16 hours ago, Vortex225 said:

I started with a custom render resolution of 100% at first, but I'm finding I can run 150% with NIS enabled and still maintain smooth frames.

So you're at 88%.  Once you get to that level it might more efficient to simply run at full resolution (the scaling software does carry some overhead)

20 minutes ago, DeltaMike said:

So you're at 88%.  Once you get to that level it might more efficient to simply run at full resolution (the scaling software does carry some overhead)

exactly what I do when running at 150%.  Up-scaling off at that point.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Following reading up with some of the responses here and on discord in going to test pushing all the settings up to get as close as I can to 45fps and see if the built in vsync in OXR can keep it smoother than 60fps. Unfortunately there's no way of locking vr framerates in nvcpl.

Will update further if results are positive 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

1 hour ago, mtd2811 said:

Anyone has the issue of major stuttering since the last OB update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not for myself, did you uninstall and reinstall the three files before and after updating?

In other news, tested out framerate locking and first post updated 🙂

• Like 1

• edmuss changed the title to Open Composite & OpenXR Toolkit Tuning Guide (updated 08/04/22)
Not for myself, did you uninstall and reinstall the three files before and after updating?
In other news, tested out framerate locking and first post updated

Yeah cleaned the install and recopied the files.

I am confused and not sure whats happening. It was really smooth with this mod before the latest update

4 hours ago, mtd2811 said:

Anyone has the issue of major stuttering since the last OB update?

I updated to 2.7.11 stable and performance got worse. But it could be that the game is still recompiling some shaders on the fly. I always have bad performance the first time in a map after clearing shader cache or updating.

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

6 hours ago, Rosebud47 said:

Apache: around 30 or even lower

Cleaning DCS turn on mirrors by default. Have exacly same fps with them. Today when discover my mistake I have stable 30fps and occasionally see even 40(!) on 4YA server with 40ppl. Before that in populated area was dropping to <16fps.

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

@speed-of-heatyou might be interested in the 45fps lock as opposed to MR, it doesn't drop to 30 but it doesn't have the overhead or artifacts of MR.

Just in case you hadn't seen the update 🙂

Ack, it's an Interesting option away from with Marianis or Channel, I will give it a crack!