OpenXR Toolkit Tuning Guide (updated 21/02/23)

edmuss

Really appreciate the easy to understand step by step guide getting OpenXR support for DCS. And results are great on my G2 clarity in textures and able to run with frame rates so I dont need motion reprojection activated.

But somewhere along the way I lost my communications menu, it does not appear either by pressing "\" or the push to talk bindings for the different modules. Anyone experienced this or has suggestions on how to troubleshoot?   

I've not had any issues with missing bindings?  Could it be that a DCS update has cleared it off?

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

@edmussHi edmuss,thank you for your detailed introduction, but I have a problem. I use RTSS to lock the frame rate to 45fps, but it has no effect in dcs. The frame rate is still running at 50+, which cannot achieve perfect smooth. I have stability 45fps in Steam VR, so I guess something is not set correctly.
My PC: I12700, 2080, 32G, SSD, Hp Reverb G1.

image.png

Inte 12700KF/ 32GB@3600MHz/ RTX2080/ 2T NVMe /Hp Reverb G1 

Link it to dcs.exe rather than dcs_updater.exe, the updater closes once it's finished checking for updates and then opens dcs.exe 🙂

edit: note that you won't get perfect smooth by locking the framerate, you will get ghosting to an extent outside of the cockpit; it should however be smoother than 50fps because you're matching vsync.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

18分钟前,edmuss说:

Link it to dcs.exe rather than dcs_updater.exe, the updater closes once it's finished checking for updates and then opens dcs.exe 🙂

edit: note that you won't get perfect smooth by locking the framerate, you will get ghosting to an extent outside of the cockpit; it should however be smoother than 50fps because you're matching vsync.

Thank you!it's perfect! now it's stability 45fps. I don't see the ghost ,inside and outside of the cockpit are both fine. muth better than steam vr~🤩

• Like 1

Inte 12700KF/ 32GB@3600MHz/ RTX2080/ 2T NVMe /Hp Reverb G1 

60hz will give a much better result than locking the framerate if you can.

Edited by edmuss

I've not had any issues with missing bindings?  Could it be that a DCS update has cleared it off?

Thanks for replying. Replaced files in bin folder with originals, quick repaired installation and copied files back to bin folder. That fixed it, comms menu is showing again. No idea what happened there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DeltaMike said:

Locking Chill at 45fps is not smooth.  It's OK in the cockpit as long as you keep your head still; in other words you can rotate your head, but can't pan or strafe the camera.  You should get a stroboscopic effect along the 3-9 line.  That's why I don't do that.  Don't recall if I get dropped frames every 8-10 seconds, I'll look next time I'm up.  

So, every 8-10 seconds your GPU is just standing there with nothing to do?   So the CPU missed a deadline in there.  Wonder if it's just a VR optimization issue.  

Sounds like your system is running beautifully.  Take it from somebody who fiddles with this stuff for entertainment.  Sometimes you just gotta learn to ignore stuff. 

Strange. I guess all our setups do differ, but in my case I’ve been testing many different settings and combinations in the last weeks. I rarely get stutters with any settings and I’m pretty sensitive to it. I spent months tuning it out before openXR. Until I push the resolution too much above 100% there’s generally very little but sometimes close in and low it’s noticeable, but for me Radeon chill and locking fps in Xr toolkit to 45 gives a totally stutter free experience and no motion smoothing on. 

Finally!

My stutters I got with Radeon Chill is gone. I used Riva Tuner instead. Locked it at 45 FPS, and off I went.

Yes, I have some slight ghosting/blurred view on my 3-9 line, but the smooth ride skimming 20 Feet over the terrain in the Apache with clear cockpit and no artifacts from MR is well worth it.
Also, when in hover the blurred view on the 3-9 line is not an issue, as you are almost stationary and moving very little. So there is no ghosting basically.

60Hz could have given me better clarity overall, but at the cost of visible refresh in the G2 and hardly any spare capacity for the GPU.

Very happy right now.
Thank you all who have made inputs and suggestions.

Does FSR work now? See multiple people running with it. But know from the start that it was bugged.

Edited by TZeer
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TZeer said:

Finally!

My stutters I got with Radeon Chill is gone. I used Riva Tuner instead. Locked it at 45 FPS, and off I went.

Yes, I have some slight ghosting/blurred view on my 3-9 line, but the smooth ride skimming 20 Feet over the terrain in the Apache with clear cockpit and no artifacts from MR is well worth it.
Also, when in hover the blurred view on the 3-9 line is not an issue, as you are almost stationary and moving very little. So there is no ghosting basically.

60Hz could have given me better clarity overall, but at the cost of visible refresh in the G2 and hardly any spare capacity for the GPU.

Very happy right now.
Thank you all who have made inputs and suggestions.

Does FSR work now? See multiple people running with it. But know from the start that it was bugged.

Might try this. Wasn't sure RT worked with AMD.  Do I also have to use MSI Afterburner?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Don't think so. I think you can download Riva Tuner as a stand alone, but I got it together with MSI Afterburner.
I don't use any of the Afterburner features though. My overclock is done with Radeon Software.

Just now, TZeer said:

Don't think so. I think you can download Riva Tuner as a stand alone, but I got it together with MSI Afterburner.
I don't use any of the Afterburner features though. My overclock is done with Radeon Software.

I did find a standalone installer. Gonna give it a shot.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-get/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download,17.html

I have used Afterburner before to OC my 6900XT, but I prefer the Radeon pkg.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

Very nice... just ran the RT 45fps lock. Very smooth FA-18 river run. Only saw some slight ghosting at altitude with the fly through green squares.

Are you also using the OXR tool to lock fps at 45 or just RT?

--Arthur C Clark

Only Riva Tuner. MR off in OpenXR, used toolkit for some adjustment on colours.

Have only tested with the Apache, so I can't give any opinion on how it looks in a fast mover.

Up high I can guess it gives a smooth experience. Down low the ghosting might be a bit much? I don't know.

Just now, TZeer said:

Only Riva Tuner. MR off in OpenXR, used toolkit for some adjustment on colours.

Have only tested with the Apache, so I can't give any opinion on how it looks in a fast mover.

Up high I can guess it gives a smooth experience. Down low the ghosting might be a bit much? I don't know.

It is certainly an improvement with the FA-18 low flights. THIS is how I always envisioned DCS in VR to looks.

holy crap!

--Arthur C Clark

12 hours ago, TED said:

Strange. I guess all our setups do differ, but in my case I’ve been testing many different settings and combinations in the last weeks. I rarely get stutters with any settings and I’m pretty sensitive to it. I spent months tuning it out before openXR. Until I push the resolution too much above 100% there’s generally very little but sometimes close in and low it’s noticeable, but for me Radeon chill and locking fps in Xr toolkit to 45 gives a totally stutter free experience and no motion smoothing on. 

Depends on how we define "stutter" -- in OpenXR it's more like a blur than the ratchety effect I got in SVR.  What Tzeer is probably calling "ghosting."  @TZeer glad you got it sorted!

Haven't tried locking FPS in the toolkit.   Although last time I was looking at how smooth stuff was on the 3-9 line I was showing in the low 50's on the DCS FPS counter, so I imagine I was at 45 most of the time anyway.  

Far as actual gameplay is concerned, lately I've just been letting the GPU do what it wants and the game is playing fine, and for the most part I don't notice any stutters or glitches.  That's in complex SP games on the PG map, Raven One and Liberation.   Only notice problems when Adrenaline resets itself.  Which it does a lot.  

My next round of testing is gonna be looking at CPU times in big missions.  So far OpenXR isn't any worse than SVR.  DCS either runs or crashes; when it's running, it's fine.  I've noticed, if I let my headset go to sleep, I can wake it up, and get dropped into WMR home but can't get back into DCS.   Wonder if that's a bug.  

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Locking in toolkit is only in regard to MR isnt it?

I have to look at my CPU as well now. Had very smooth frames, until I came within the range of a SAM site. Very small mission in Nevada, just as target practice with the Apache. So either my CPU needs to be dialed in, or there is some issue with how the simulation handles radar sites and the EW systems in the apache. When the radar was destroyed everything was back to normal again.

Stutter in my opinion is when I can clearly see the frame is "jumping" or "skipping" along. Regardless of how clear it is. There is no tearing or artifacts, but one can see that frames are "skipping" or "jumping" maybe 2-3 frames, before having a moment of smooth frames again. That is maybe my biggest dealbreaker when it comes to games or simulations.

"Ghosting" or "blurred" for me is when I can not see a clear picture/outline of an object. Example a tree or house on my 3-9 line. A little bit like when things are moving to fast to actually focus and get a clear picture. But the motion is smooth.

If we had a working MR without artifacts that would have been my go-to as a setting. AS it would have given both a smooth experience AND a clear picture on the 3-9 line.

Anyone saying they don't have any stutter with MR off and just letting the frames go up and down at free will, simply is not as sensitive to stutter/inconsistent framerates as some others are. And in some way I envy them 😂

50 minutes ago, TZeer said:

Locking in toolkit is only in regard to MR isnt it?

Not necessarily.  The headset is going to want to lock itself at some fraction of refresh rate even if MR isn't on.  I think TED is working it from both angles.  

I have to look at my CPU as well now. Had very smooth frames, until I came within the range of a SAM site. Very small mission in Nevada, just as target practice with the Apache. So either my CPU needs to be dialed in, or there is some issue with how the simulation handles radar sites and the EW systems in the apache. When the radar was destroyed everything was back to normal again.

Stutter in my opinion is when I can clearly see the frame is "jumping" or "skipping" along. Regardless of how clear it is. There is no tearing or artifacts, but one can see that frames are "skipping" or "jumping" maybe 2-3 frames, before having a moment of smooth frames again. That is maybe my biggest dealbreaker when it comes to games or simulations.

"Ghosting" or "blurred" for me is when I can not see a clear picture/outline of an object. Example a tree or house on my 3-9 line. A little bit like when things are moving to fast to actually focus and get a clear picture. But the motion is smooth.

Now I understand what you're saying.  To me that's one of the biggest benefits of OpenXR, it's more of a blur like you see in cinematography than the strobe effect WMR4SVR gives you.  Huge difference. 

If we had a working MR without artifacts that would have been my go-to as a setting. AS it would have given both a smooth experience AND a clear picture on the 3-9 line.

Anyone saying they don't have any stutter with MR off and just letting the frames go up and down at free will, simply is not as sensitive to stutter/inconsistent framerates as some others are. And in some way I envy them 😂

I can see it if I'm looking for it, I just find that I'm not typically looking for it in-game.  Been flying F18 mostly so I'm typically above angels 12, head down in the cockpit working the computer.  If I'm on the deck, I'm typically in some kind of trouble and have bigger fish to fry.    

On the PG missions I've been flying lately, I think I just happen to be close enough to 45 most of the time anyway.  Which is one way of doing it, adjust your settings to get close to your target FPS and just fly the thing

I imagine flying choppers is a whole different ballgame, about the only thing going for you is, you aren't going that fast so maybe judder won't be as bad.  I imagine the MR artifact is driving you bonkers.  It drives me nuts in MSFS and I'm not sure I see a good solution until they improve MR

I think the take-home is, the key to VR is not so much to maximize your settings or your frame rate, the key is to pick a target and figure out a way to hit it consistently.  

• Like 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Here is a quick video - Apache on Syria mission (with AMD Capture overhead). The image of course is much better in the G2 as it's compressing it on to the monitor which the software is recording and then youtube takes over and deep-fries it more. However since this is a smoothness demonstration and everyone here knows what a great image OpenXR provides it's neither here or there. I also snapped my head back and forth to show how the image is stable even in those extreme conditions

@DirtyMike0330 Gather the boys. BYO Red Prius

P.S. Uploaded it a minute before making this post, might be potato quality until Youtube elves come to life

F-14 - Notice how there is no ghosting during merge even when I snap the view behind me. There is no ghosting when I vertically cut behind the bandit about halfway through either. (Ignore the otherwise mediocre flying and aim)

& Apache on Syria with a bunch of SAMs and other objects:

Edited by nikoel
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, nikoel said:

Here is a quick video - Apache on Syria mission (with AMD Capture overhead). The image of course is much better in the G2 as it's compressing it on to the monitor which the software is recording. However since this is a smoothness demonstration and everyone here knows what a great image OpenXR provides it's neither here or there

@DirtyMike0330 Gather the boys. BYO Red Prius

😄 😄 

I have slowly jumped into the OpenXR fray so I appreciate this video. 

P.S. Where are those audio cues ref search radar coming from?? 

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

5 minutes ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

😄 😄 

I have slowly jumped into the OpenXR fray so I appreciate this video. 

P.S. Where are those audio cues ref search radar coming from?? 

Affectionately known as Bitchin' Betty - she is part of the Apache Situational Awareness suite

The designers thought that the pilots were more likely to listen to a female voice

Having heard the Garmin, Airbus and Boeing dude equivalent, I have to agree

Edited by nikoel

On 4/7/2022 at 11:06 PM, speed-of-heat said:

sorta , same with FSR.

it's kind of like an every-person DLSS (weak sauce version)

From what i understand DLSS would be the only tech capable of reducing shimmering in DCS, so the only usable option in VR. An interesting comparison:

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

I'm having an issue. I'm doing a complete reinstall right now just to not run into any further issues but...

I have a Quest2. In Openxr toolkit It shows that it's running on the Oculus software, I can use the demo in OPENXR as it requests under the set runtime option... however, while i can move around and interact with the demo, with the controller etc, I CAN NOT get the keyboard functions to work. 

I noticed that it states, that Openxr is install but not the active runtime. (that's because oculus is) If I set WMR in the openxr tool kit via (set openxr) it installs fine but then below, it says no headset detected.. clearly some kind of conflict, understandably being it's not a WMR headset.. 

however, there are people in here using it without issues. What am I doing wrong here? This is just between the oculus and WMR and Toolkit... In the portal it wont detect the headset either.. but I can reproduce it, with no control over the headset or controller.

I have steamvr launch in settings turned off. I also have the OPENXR toolkit extension to set the keybinds for the menu, (claims it's active) but still the menu will not show up. Not only in the demo but outside of the demo 

Any help would be amazing. Thanks!

@nikoelgood demo videos of how it looks when all is tuned. Very similar to my experience lately. Out of interest what fps are you getting? Are u using fsr and  msaa? 
At the moment I’m using fsr and it seems to work well allowing me to fairly easily adjust depending on whether I’m going to do mp or sp. I’ve had no negative issues with it at all. 

Edited by TED