OpenXR Toolkit Tuning Guide (updated 21/02/23)

edmuss

26 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

migimoto

Has a nice ring to it though 😆

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

• edmuss changed the title to Open Composite & OpenXR Toolkit Tuning Guide (updated 25/04/22)

I would say the latest OpenXR is nothing short of impressive! I don't have Aero but I have much better frame rate now with Quest 2 and I am happy. The new colour settings are also great.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

2 hours ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

I would say the latest OpenXR is nothing short of impressive! I don't have Aero but I have much better frame rate now with Quest 2 and I am happy. The new colour settings are also great.

Much improved. 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

I still get crashes as soon as DCS gets into the main menu, with FSR enabled... it's been like this with every build for me and I've been unable to diagnose the issue successfully. I know other users have encountered the same problem... any news?

Short answer? Don't use FSR 😄

Short of uninstalling WMR/OXR and the toolkit and cleaning out the registry I'm not too sure; it must be something specific to your hardware/software configuration.  Have you tried the latest version (1.1.0) of the toolkit?

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

I am not getting "many" crashes with FSR enabled (and i only had a brief chance to test with OXRTK 1.1, and no crashes there), but i am currently using migimoto mod for sharpening as well which seems to play nicely and be stable

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

37 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Short answer? Don't use FSR 😄

Short of uninstalling WMR/OXR and the toolkit and cleaning out the registry I'm not too sure; it must be something specific to your hardware/software configuration.  Have you tried the latest version (1.1.0) of the toolkit?

I MUST use FSR! Jokes aside, yeah, I've also tested the latest build but as I said the issue has been consistent through each and every build. All OpenXR-related applications are up to date. I might try a deep uninstall, cleaning the relevant registry entries as well, assuming that I can find all of them. I agree that it must be something system-specific... at any rate, I've been in contact with mbucchia in Discord, hopefully he will be able to help me in debugging. Oh well!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Picchio said:

I MUST use FSR! Jokes aside, yeah, I've also tested the latest build but as I said the issue has been consistent through each and every build. All OpenXR-related applications are up to date. I might try a deep uninstall, cleaning the relevant registry entries as well, assuming that I can find all of them. I agree that it must be something system-specific... at any rate, I've been in contact with mbucchia in Discord, hopefully he will be able to help me in debugging. Oh well!

Have you tried using OXRTK's NIS upscaling instead of FSR ?

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

5 hours ago, Picchio said:

Yes I have. I say FSR but both scaling methods produce the same kind of crash.

I have the same issue, though really I'm not finding that I need either with the aero getting pretty stable 40-60fps kind of amazing considering how much I struggled to maintain those same numbers with the Index

Edited by DavePastry

I910900K, 4090, 32gb,Varjo Aero, no compromises: all VR all the time. 

not sure if this has been discussed already, but my friend and i are banging our heads against the wall trying to figure out an issue he's having. he cannot get the openxr tool from the ms store to install, which means he can't force the openxr runtime to bypass steamvr. is there anywhere else he can download the openxr runtime from, or anyone know why it keeps erroring out on the ms store? mine works without issue, and we have similar setups using the G2, but he can't progress that first part. thanks for any help!

31 minutes ago, flyingmunkey said:

not sure if this has been discussed already, but my friend and i are banging our heads against the wall trying to figure out an issue he's having. he cannot get the openxr tool from the ms store to install, which means he can't force the openxr runtime to bypass steamvr. is there anywhere else he can download the openxr runtime from, or anyone know why it keeps erroring out on the ms store? mine works without issue, and we have similar setups using the G2, but he can't progress that first part. thanks for any help!

Is he signed in with a MS account?
In a restricted region?

Valid copy of Windows?

Maybe reset the store app

1. Press the Windows logo key + to open the Run dialog box.

2. Enter wsreset.exe then select OK.

3. A blank command prompt window will open, and after about ten seconds the window will close and Microsoft Store will open automatically.

Last but not least

Microsoft Store apps fail to download with Error: 0x80070005

While this known issue is fixed in the Windows 10 Version 20H1 (May 2020) Update, you might need to take the following steps if you are still experiencing this error:

1. Update Windows to the Windows 10 Version 20H1 (May 2020) Update or later.

2. Delete the account files in the following folder: %systemdrive%\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy\AC\TokenBroker\Accounts.

3. Take a backup copy of %systemdrive%\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy\Settings\settings.dat, then delete it.

4. Sign out of your device, then sign back in.

Edited by Sr.
  • Like 1

--Arthur C Clark

2 hours ago, Sr. said:

Is he signed in with a MS account?
In a restricted region?

Valid copy of Windows?

Maybe reset the store app

i believe he is signed in. he's in the US. valid copy. he says he's tried the reset before and it didn't work. he even went as far as reinstalling windows and same issue. it's driving us both crazy. it's also hard to believe that we can't find a mirror or other source of download outside of the ms store.

Edited by flyingmunkey

13 hours ago, DavePastry said:

I have the same issue, though really I'm not finding that I need either with the aero getting pretty stable 40-60fps kind of amazing considering how much I struggled to maintain those same numbers with the Index

Solved. Fortunately, it was easy but I wouldn't have found a solution by myself.
1) regedit
2) under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\OpenXR_Toolkit\OpenComposite_DCS
3) create DWORD 32 key mipmap_bias and set it to 0

:biggrin:

Hey guys, 

Do you also get alot of shimmering in VR? I find it so annoying i can´t play. Like for example telephone poles.. They are the worst, but the shimmering is everywhere and i tried alot of settings in the openxr toolkit but nothing seems to help. Is there any way to get rid of it, or is it just something we have to live with? My comp down below. 

AMD 3700X

5700XT

16GB RAM

HP reverb G2. 

Yes, msaa helps a little... and sharpening typically makes it worse

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

23 minutes ago, Dozer1606688093 said:

Hey guys, 

Do you also get alot of shimmering in VR? I find it so annoying i can´t play. Like for example telephone poles.. They are the worst, but the shimmering is everywhere and i tried alot of settings in the openxr toolkit but nothing seems to help. Is there any way to get rid of it, or is it just something we have to live with? My comp down below. 

AMD 3700X

5700XT

16GB RAM

HP reverb G2. 

No, you can't get rid of it.  Yes, you have to live with it.  For now.  

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

shimmering gets worse with FSR, which is why I dont use it. Even with sharpening at 0

MSAA 2x and the highest render scale you can get works best for me

DLSS would be a real improvement, as it can upscale without introducing shimmering

Edited by winghunter

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

As above. MSAA gets rid of it for me but if you use NIS, it will make it worse so I no longer use NIS/FSR.

• Like 1

i9-13900k (stock), ASUS TUF 4090 OC, Gigabyte Z790 UD AX, Corsair Vengeance Black 64GB 5200MHz DDR5, 1 x 1TB WD_BLACK SN850x GEN4 NVMe, 1 x 2TB WD_BLACK SN850x GEN4 NVMe, 1 x SanDisk SSD PLUS 1 TB SATA III 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1650W PCIe GEN 5.0 ATX3.0 PSU, Corsair AIO iLink cooler, Corsair Graphite 780t Full Tower ATX Case (White), Meta Quest Pro VR headset, Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 49" UltraWide Dual Quad HD 240Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, Thrustmaster Viper Mission Pack, Thrustmaster Cougar F-16 throttle, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Thrustmaster F-18 stick, Thrustmaster TPR rudder, Winwing ICP, Edifer e25HD Luna HD speakers. 1 Gbps uplink and downlink FTTP. Windows 11. Hot tub, hot wife. Living the dream!

What they all said^

Try 100% resolution, no upscaling at all, no foveated rendering and if you have overhead available then 2xMSAA should get rid of almost all the shimmer. Whether your GPU can cope with it is another matter.

The upscaling adds shimmer all over the screen, even at 100% scaling. It's far more noticable in OXR in comparison to FSR in SVR (via vrperfkit) which is why I've stopped using it. If you need to improve performance because of a weak GPU then reduce resolution in preference to upscaling; OXR retains image quality pretty well.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Once again, I think it's worth remembering that FSR should be used in conjunction with MSAA.

It's useless to expect FSR to improve the aliasing (and the related shimmering edges) it finds on the scene.

Edited by Picchio

I'm going to leave this here for those who care about Windows optimisations and reducing the background calls and services. When I first jumped into DCS VR, I was appalled at the performance, so I went balls deep in research with dozens of Safari Tabs. This video goes through good 80% of everything that you can do (I think it leaves out paging file relocation and a few other things) - Depending on your system the performance gains can be sizeable or non existent

Also be careful just going through everything blindly - aka don't disable crap that you use/rely on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pYiDRQH92k&start=1399

Edited by nikoel