OpenXR Toolkit Tuning Guide (updated 21/02/23)

edmuss

21 minutes ago, edmuss said:

I don't see any difference between OXRDT MR disabled with OXRTK MR always on vs OXRDT MR always on with OXRTK MR always on.  I still get distortion of the pitot tube, wing ordnance and MFD glare shields in the A10 and bubbling around the mirrors and on the ABRIS in the KA50; it's the same with both options.

That said, it is certainly better than it was when OC_ACC was first applied to DCS.  As a matter of fact, on a whim I re-enabled MR a couple of nights ago and noticed that it's far less artifacty than it used to be.  Still not as good as SVR but certainly far more useable 🙂

Are you using any level of Shake elimination (I think it's called)? With no MR it's great for targeting accuracy with IHADS or just mouse pointer in general. With MR enabled, it's a jello screen mess.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

No I've got that set to zero, never needed to use it for directing the mouse pointer (I prefer to use the leap motion in reality).

Currently I'm running on all the bells and whistles, 100% render, no upscaling/FFR, high DCS settings and MR is keeping it happily super smooth with minor artifacts - it is far better than it was when I started this thread; back then it was jelly eels all over the screen if I so much as looked at the ka50 😄

@nikoel try it, you might even like it 😉

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

• edmuss changed the title to Open Composite & OpenXR Toolkit Tuning Guide (updated 15/05/22)
10 minutes ago, edmuss said:

No I've got that set to zero, never needed to use it for directing the mouse pointer (I prefer to use the leap motion in reality).

Currently I'm running on all the bells and whistles, 100% render, no upscaling/FFR, high DCS settings and MR is keeping it happily super smooth with minor artifacts - it is far better than it was when I started this thread; back then it was jelly eels all over the screen if I so much as looked at the ka50 😄

I’ll give it an other go. But only because you told me

Just to confirm, you’re using MR always on inside the OpenXR Dev Tools without any specifications inside OpenXR Toolkit

I also suspect people who are saying it’s much smoother with the MR disabled but with toolkit forced to an FPS are getting the infamous and highly elusive soft lock 

1 minute ago, nikoel said:

I’ll give it an other go. But only because you told me

Just to confirm, you’re using MR always on inside the OpenXR Dev Tools without any specifications inside OpenXR Toolkit

I also suspect people who are saying it’s much smoother with the MR disabled but with toolkit forced to an FPS are getting the infamous and highly elusive soft lock 

I've tried both options with the same results, I currently have it enabled ingame via OXRTK and disabled in the dev toolkit.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Sorry guys for a dump question, but I'm going around in circles here...

Where can I download OXRDT from? 

I have OXRTK (from Windows Store), and have been using OpenXR Tools (from github) both for some time now, but I now see all this talk about OXRTK and would like to install that to play with the settings there too. I thought it might be on the Microsoft Store but it's not showing up, nor in any google searches when I search for "OpenXR Developer Tools". Thanks.

I think you're getting the names mixed up 🙂

OXRDT is the developer toolkit that you download from the microsoft store. This allows you to set the runtime to openxr and adjust a few settings.

OXRTK is mbucchia's toolkit that your download from GitHub. This gives you a huge amount of control over the openxr render output.

30 minutes ago, edmuss said:

I think you're getting the names mixed up 🙂

OXRDT is the developer toolkit that you download from the microsoft store. This allows you to set the runtime to openxr and adjust a few settings.

OXRTK is mbucchia's toolkit that your download from GitHub. This gives you a huge amount of control over the openxr render output.

Thanks I think you're right there, but either way - I'm chasing the Open XR Developers Toolkit. From what you've said it sounds like it should be on the microsoft store - but it won't show for me. The only OpenXR item on the Microsoft store that shows is "Open XR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality". 

I'm guessing there should be a second option "Open XR Developer Toolkit" in the  Microsoft store as well. Is there something 'special' I need to do in order to have it show up. (I have Windows up to date with the latest patches, etc)?

Edit - This is all I get.

ss1.png

Edited by Dangerzone

nulltype openxr into the search bar, tell us what it shows...
nullnull

image.png

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

25 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

nulltype openxr into the search bar, tell us what it shows...
nullnull

image.png

Thanks SpeedOfHeat. I'm not sure what you mean by nulltype openxr into the search bar. 

If you mean just type in "OpenXR" into the search bar - I get exactly what I posted above - no "Open XR Dev Tools", just the "Open XR Tools"

Edit - or if you mean type it in without pressing enter, and view the dropdown - this is all I get:ss2.png

I'm wondering if I have to register as a developer, or do something special to get access to developer tools?

Edited by Dangerzone

sorry the nulnul thing was the forums wigging out.  I never have registered as a dev

thats very odd.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

OK - Thanks Speed of Heat. I'm in Windows 10. Maybe it's only available in Windows 11? 

Edit: OK - I think it's Windows actively stopping me from getting it for some reason.  I tried to get access using a webbrowser instead of the app.

So I get a link after doing a search to https://www.microsoft.com/en-ng/p/openxr-developer-tools-for-windows-mixed-reality/9n5cvvl23qbt yay - it has 'Developer Tools' in the link.

But when I click on the link I get automatically redirected to OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality - Microsoft Store Applications

It's actively not allowing me to see anything 'Developer' related.  Doesn't seem to matter what browser I use either, so maybe MS is detecting my operating system and just not giving me access, or it's as though Open XR for WMR and Open XR Toolkit is the same software.

Edited by Dangerzone

27 minutes ago, Dangerzone said:

OK - Thanks Speed of Heat. I'm in Windows 10. Maybe it's only available in Windows 11? 

Edit: OK - I think it's Windows actively stopping me from getting it for some reason.  I tried to get access using a webbrowser instead of the app.

So I get a link after doing a search to https://www.microsoft.com/en-ng/p/openxr-developer-tools-for-windows-mixed-reality/9n5cvvl23qbt yay - it has 'Developer Tools' in the link.

But when I click on the link I get automatically redirected to OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality - Microsoft Store Applications

It's actively not allowing me to see anything 'Developer' related.  Doesn't seem to matter what browser I use either, so maybe MS is detecting my operating system and just not giving me access, or it's as though Open XR for WMR and Open XR Toolkit is the same software.

https://openxr-developer-tools-for-windows-mixed-reality.en.softonic.com/download

I'm on Win 11 so can't download as it is only available for Win 10. Hopefully link works for you.

From the documentation:

The OpenXR developer tools are available for Windows 10 only. They provide a way to create and debug Mixed Reality apps. The tools are based on the OpenXR specification and have been designed for both developers and content creators to be able to create and debug Mixed Reality apps. The tools are part of the Windows Mixed Reality platform, which also includes the Windows Mixed Reality Toolkit and the Windows Mixed Reality Simulator. The Windows Mixed Reality Toolkit provides a set of APIs that are used to build Mixed Reality apps. The Windows Mixed Reality Simulator is a tool that allows users to test and debug their Mixed Reality apps on a Windows Mixed Reality device.

Cheers

Core i9 12900KF | ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 64GB DDR5 5200MHz | 3 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | MSI MAG 322CQR 32´ | VKB Gunfighter Mk.III MCG Pro | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog Throttle | Thrusmaster T-Pendular Rudder | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | Windows 11

There is some confusion over the OpenXR Tools/Developer Tools. When installed, it is called OpenXR Developer Tools for Windows Mixed Reality... but on the MS store it is called OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality (note no Developer).

I am on Windows 11 and have it installed.

OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality - Microsoft Store Applications

nullnull

image.png

image.png

4 minutes ago, slughead said:

'm not sure that the Microsoft OpenXR Tools for WMR is necessary anymore. The OpenXR Tookit (the one with the in-game control menu)

Try use fpsVR without SteamVR... its same way thinking...

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

24 minutes ago, slughead said:

There is some confusion over the OpenXR Tools/Developer Tools. When installed, it is called OpenXR Developer Tools for Windows Mixed Reality... but on the MS store it is called OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality (note no Developer).

I was wondering about that, but in the original post, there seems to be 2 different applications:

OpenXR (OXR),  and 

OpenXR Developer Tooks (OXRDT)

as per the below...

On 3/28/2022 at 8:03 AM, edmuss said:

OXR = OpenXR

SVR = SteamVR

WMR4SVR = Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR

OXRTK = OpenXR ToolKit

OXRDT = OpenXR Developer Tools

MR = Motion Reprojection

17 minutes ago, slughead said:

I'm not sure that the Microsoft OpenXR Tools for WMR is necessary anymore. The OpenXR Tookit (the one with the in-game control menu) has options to change the render scale and enable/disable motion reprojection. HAs anyone tried without the Microsoft Open XR Tools for WMR?

The problem I face is that I have no access to OpenXR Toolkit. OpenXR Tools for WMR is the only option available to me, so if I uninstall that - I'm not going to have OpenXR at all as I understand it.

55 minutes ago, Slo-Mo said:

https://openxr-developer-tools-for-windows-mixed-reality.en.softonic.com/download

I'm on Win 11 so can't download as it is only available for Win 10. Hopefully link works for you.

Thanks slo-mo. That page does allow me to download the actual toolkit (something the Microsoft page and store would not let me do). I'll give it a shot and see how I go. Thank you!

Edit: Nope - I was wrong. Clicking on download sends me to the Microsoft website, which I then get redirected again and it automatically downloads the file OpenXR-Toolkit-1.1.0.msi 

This is so weird. Microsoft seems to be doing everything possible to deny me access to the Developer tools. Is my abuse of frustration yelling at clippy in MS Word 2 decades ago finally coming back to haunt me? 😪

Edited by Dangerzone

40 minutes ago, Dangerzone said:

I have no access to OpenXR Toolkit

Rly?

https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

12 hours ago, edmuss said:

disgusted jack sparrow GIF

I diagnose you with Motion Reprojection Stockholm Syndrome. I sentence you to an entire week of dog fighting in the I-16

[EDIT] I stand corrected. It has improved (I had the anti-shake turned on, turning it off made it miles better). However it suffers from image instability when looking from left to right quickly, literal screen shift effects. Is significantly less sharp and washed out and still has the wobbles. It's smoother than my 55FPS locked setting. To me this is still a very steep price to pay with only one advantage. If 90FPS fluidity is all you care for then it's a way to achieve it

Sentence reduced to 3 days of I-16

1 hour ago, Dangerzone said:

I was wondering about that, but in the original post, there seems to be 2 different applications:

OpenXR (OXR),  and 

OpenXR Developer Tooks (OXRDT)

as per the below...

The problem I face is that I have no access to OpenXR Toolkit. OpenXR Tools for WMR is the only option available to me, so if I uninstall that - I'm not going to have OpenXR at all as I understand it.

Thanks slo-mo. That page does allow me to download the actual toolkit (something the Microsoft page and store would not let me do). I'll give it a shot and see how I go. Thank you!

Edit: Nope - I was wrong. Clicking on download sends me to the Microsoft website, which I then get redirected again and it automatically downloads the file OpenXR-Toolkit-1.1.0.msi 

This is so weird. Microsoft seems to be doing everything possible to deny me access to the Developer tools. Is my abuse of frustration yelling at clippy in MS Word 2 decades ago finally coming back to haunt me? 😪

You are confused. OpenXR Toolkit can not be downloaded from the Microsoft store. All links are laid out in the guide, and there is a nice chap above who has linked it for you again

Edited by nikoel

Yo boys, there are 3 apps

OpenXR <- Self Explanatory

OpenXR Developer Tools aka OpenXR Tools (Same app different names) <- This is what connects Your Mixed Reality Headset to OpenXR and has ability to change resolution and enable MR

OpenXR Toolkit <- A extension to the above which can now give you sunglasses, ability to change saturation, anti jitter and FSR/NIS to name a few

12 hours ago, TylerPL666 said:

Sorry  - I should have said I have no access to the OpenXR Developers Toolkit (The one defined as OXRDT in the O.P.)

11 hours ago, nikoel said:

You are confused. OpenXR Toolkit can not be downloaded from the Microsoft store. All links are laid out in the guide, and there is a nice chap above who has linked it for you again

Sorry - I'm referring to OpenXR Developers Toolkit - the one with the screenshot posted by Speed of Heat.

11 hours ago, nikoel said:

Yo boys, there are 3 apps

OpenXR <- Self Explanatory

OpenXR Developer Tools aka OpenXR Tools (Same app different names) <- This is what connects Your Mixed Reality Headset to OpenXR and has ability to change resolution and enable MR

OpenXR Toolkit <- A extension to the above which can now give you sunglasses, ability to change saturation, anti jitter and FSR/NIS to name a few

Thanks for the mention. Is OpenXR not the OpenXR app that is downloaded from the Windows Store? Is that something different again.

Just to clarify and start over - using the Original Posters acnoryms, this is what I understand:

OXR = OpenXR

This is the base OpenXR that is required to run. It is downloaded from the Windows Store.

OXRDT = OpenXR Developer Tools

This too is downloaded from the Windows Store (?)

OXRTK = OpenXR ToolKit

This is the app that can be viewed from within DCS - downloaded from Github, and brought up by using CTRL+F2

If I'm wrong with this - could I please ask that someone posts the 3 descriptions and abreviations as I have above, and provides with links or descriptions of the source above so it's all in one section to avoid further confusion. (I apologise for the confusion I've already created by accidently calling OpenXR Dev Tools OpenXR Tools).  I really appreciate the patience and time trying to sort this out - it doesn't make sense to me why some people (such as Speed of Heat) have OpenXR Developer tools available to them in windows store, yet I don't. 

Edited by Dangerzone

I think the Microsoft Store is wacky,  definitely some people see a different name for the same thing. They were supposed to drop the "developer" from the name. And some see that in the store, some do not, yet the installed product still shows the word in the title bar. As I do.

Latest version, store does not show the word "developer" but opening my installed product via store open button still does..

So pretty sure 'OpenXR Developer Tools' and  'OpenXR Tools' are same thing, in the MS store. May be a Windows 10 or 11 thing....

The toolkit, as mentioned is the other one...

image.png

Edited by johnbowzer
  • Thanks 1

Intel i5-12600K | RTX4080 Super OC 16GB | 64GB 3600 MHz RAM | M.2 SSDs | Meta Quest 3

1 hour ago, johnbowzer said:

I think the Microsoft Store is wacky,  definitely some people see a different name for the same thing. They were supposed to drop the "developer" from the name. And some see that in the store, some do not, yet the installed product still shows the word in the title bar. As I do.

Latest version, store does not show the word "developer" but opening my installed product via store open button still does..

So pretty sure 'OpenXR Developer Tools' and  'OpenXR Tools' are same thing, in the MS store. May be a Windows 10 or 11 thing....

The toolkit, as mentioned is the other one...

image.png

Yeah This here exactly 

You will Have OpenXR installed by default because it comes with windows. But you can uninstall it and then install it again if you want

Additionally if you want start again, which I highly advise, here are the steps

Remove all three apps by searching 'OpenXR' inside the remove programs screen (screenshot below)

OpenXR Developer tools (aka OpenXR Tools) here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/openxr-tools-for-windows-mixed-reality/9n5cvvl23qbt .
To install OpenXR Runtime (OpenXR for Windows Mixed Reality), navigate to the right most tab inside the newly installed OpenXR Developer Tools (aka OpenXR Tools). It gives you an error and a link to install the OpenXR Runtime via the Windows Store (something that I could not find by searching the store alone)

Then follow every step of the guide

Once you have everything the OpenXR Toolkit can be found here: https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/

There is no such thing as OpenXR Developer Toolkit. This is a mishmash of two names of the apps

You really are confusing yourself for no good reason, if you just blindly follow every step it will work regardless if you have OpenXR Tools or OpenXR Developer Tools name

image.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much to all who have offered their help to clear up my confusion!

Here's what I have in my list of program files.

ss3.png

Interesting that OpenXRTools for WMR and OpenXR Developer Tools for WMR ( @nikoel's) are different sizes - so it would appear to be 2 different apps / versions/ whatever, but I'm guessing they both do the same thing so will let that rest and not pursue any futher. 

@edmuss - if it's not too much trouble, could you please maybe change the original post so that the abbreviations refer to the following to avoid any further confusion. (I've highlighted the changes I've made to green)

Some naming conventions: -

OXR = OpenXR (Installed with windows by default or available from sourceforge)

SVR = SteamVR (Steam App

WMR4SVR = Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR (Steam App

OXRTK = OpenXR ToolKit (Obtainable from github)

OXRDT = OpenXR Developer Tools (Also known as OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality - Sourced from Microsoft App Store)

MR = Motion Reprojection

Or at the very least just make a note for OXRDT that it may also be known as OpenXR Tools for WMR please?

Cheers

DZ

35 minutes ago, Dangerzone said:

Thanks very much to all who have offered their help to clear up my confusion!

Here's what I have in my list of program files.

ss3.png

Interesting that OpenXRTools for WMR and OpenXR Developer Tools for WMR ( @nikoel's) are different sizes - so it would appear to be 2 different apps / versions/ whatever, but I'm guessing they both do the same thing so will let that rest and not pursue any futher. 

@edmuss - if it's not too much trouble, could you please maybe change the original post so that the abbreviations refer to the following to avoid any further confusion. (I've highlighted the changes I've made to green)

Some naming conventions: -

OXR = OpenXR (Installed with windows by default or available from sourceforge)

SVR = SteamVR (Steam App

WMR4SVR = Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR (Steam App

OXRTK = OpenXR ToolKit (Obtainable from github)

OXRDT = OpenXR Developer Tools (Also known as OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality - Sourced from Microsoft App Store)

MR = Motion Reprojection

Or at the very least just make a note for OXRDT that it may also be known as OpenXR Tools for WMR please?

Cheers

DZ

They are different sizes because the Screenshot is over a month old

• Thanks 1