OpenXR Toolkit Tuning Guide (updated 21/02/23)

edmuss

5 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

if it's not too much trouble, could you please maybe change the original post so that the abbreviations refer to the following to avoid any further confusion. (I've highlighted the changes I've made to green)

The original abbreviations that I concocted for this thread we're just to save having to type them out over and over again 😄

I'll edit the first post to reflect their software names have altered, hopefully shouldn't cause too much confusion!

• Thanks 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

27 minutes ago, edmuss said:

The original abbreviations that I concocted for this thread we're just to save having to type them out over and over again 😄

I'll edit the first post to reflect their software names have altered, hopefully shouldn't cause too much confusion!

Thanks edmuss! That's greatly appreciated, and I'm so sorry for the confusion I created in this thread. Most people probably don't need those changes, but if it saves some other noob like me coming across this thread and getting confused and derailing it yet again - it might be worth it!

Love your work, and effort, and enthusiasm with OpenXR. It's been a game changer for me in DCS! Literally has stopped me walking away from DCS when the Apache hit waiting for my next GPU upgrade! Thanks heaps!

6 hours ago, GunSlingerOZ said:

Loving this - one question though. The guide says to:

"Within the OXRTK menu make sure that MR is set to unlocked."

I don't have any MR Unlock option visible in OXRTK though? 

OXRTK was on an earlier version when I wrote this and the menu options changed around slightly. I think the option to lock/unlock the MR refresh rate becomes available once you've set MR to always on although I could be misremembering 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

21 minutes ago, edmuss said:

OXRTK was on an earlier version when I wrote this and the menu options changed around slightly. I think the option to lock/unlock the MR refresh rate becomes available once you've set MR to always on although I could be misremembering 🙂

I found it - it's in the in-game menu, not the desktop menu. I didn't see any difference with having it unlocked vs locked though?

Ah, you were talking about trying to unlock the reprojection in OXRDT not OXRTK 🙂

The developer toolkit (as it was called when the thread was started, now called OpenXR Tools) was originally the only place to enable/disable MR.

Now the functionality has been added to OXRTK (OpenXR Toolkit as it has always been called) to enable/disable MR as well as the refresh rate lock.

You won't see any difference unless you go outside of the bracket that you've locked it to.

If you lock it to 45fps reprojection then your ingame fps will be locked to 45 until such time that you can't achieve the frametimes required to sustain the reprojection (22ms - a few ms overhead; approximately >18-19ms appGPU) at which point it will disable reprojection and it will turn into a comparably stuttery jankfest™. Similarly locking to 30fps reprojection will lock to 30 until you can't achieve frametime (33ms - overhead; approximately >30-31ms appGPU) and it will disable.  Your fps will never go higher than the set lock even if you beat refresh rate of the headset.

Setting it to unlocked allows the reprojection to automatically step in fractions of the refresh rate (1 , 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 - so 90fps, 45fps, 30fps and 22fps respectively @90Hz).  If you can beat refresh rate (90 or 60 depending on your settings in WMR) then reprojection will disengage all together and you will have perfectly smooth and stable image with zero artifacts.  I see no reason to lock it at all unless you're susceptible to the changes in framerate (I see no difference) and openXR is much smoother at transitioning reprojection on/off than steamvr is.

• Like 1

Unlocked is amazing. In SteamVR - it would only halve the refresh rate for motion reprojection, meaning I needed to be able to achieve 45fps on the GPU for nice-ish images.

With OpenXR - DCS can drop down to 30fps and I still have a smoother experience than SteamVR at 45.

When it drops on the odd occasion to 22fps it's not quite as good - but it's good enough to get me out of the trouble until 30 or 45fps kick back in again. 

VR was 'on the edge' for me - and I understood why so many people went back to 2D - until I started using this 'mod'. This has made flying in VR DCS so much more achievable. I hate to think how many still don't know about it and struggle with SteamVR, or just give up completely.

• Like 2

To clarify some confusion, OpenXR Developer Tools for WMR was renamed to OpenXR Tools for WMR a few months ago, since many non-developers used it. It's exactly the same thing as before.

Here's a good read about the OpenXR apps from the MS store:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/openxr-for-windows-mixed-reality-release-faq/489183

• Like 2

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

9 minutes ago, hannibal said:

im trying to find out for friend if openXR toolkit is usable on oculus quest 2.

i can get it to work with HP odyssey, reverb, and Varjo Aero with no problem... but find info for oculus quest has been a challenge...

Yes it is useable for the quest2, I'm not sure sure how much benefit there is over oculus native but there have been positive reports for it.  Have a search through the main openxr thread and there should be some implementation for quest 2 informatin in there somewhere.  It would be handy if there were an oculus specific methodology written for implementing it 🙂

• Like 1

16 часов назад, hannibal сказал:

i can get it to work with HP odyssey, reverb, and Varjo Aero with no problem... but find info for oculus quest has been a challenge...

Works very nice, no flying without it any more for me 😀 Just use 0.6.3 ACC version for now, as current OC is broken with OXRTK on Quest 2 AFAIK. The only issue I had were distortions, but it's easily fixable with a built-in WMR tool in DCS.

UPD: Apparently OXRTK 1.1.2 works as intended with current OC, no need in 0.6.3 ACC anymore.

Edited by Fiztex
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, hannibal said:

It´s important to know that you must launch DCS in SteamVR mode

• Like 1

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

Hi

thank you all for the comments and instructions, I have recently updated from a Rift S to a G2 and OpenXR has definitely made a positive difference compared to using SteamVR. So much so that before this I was kinda missing the smoothness that MR (ASW) gave me in the Rift S. Also the strobo effect with SteamVR when loading missions was just doing my head in and had resorted to closing my eyes to avoid looking - thankfully this is gone with OpenXR.

I have one issue though that I don't think anybody reported: I run an SP mission, go back to the main menu, then start another mission and the FPS is suddendly very bad - like 7-8 - with no recovery. If I exit the game completely and reload it then fps go back to normal. I have reproduced this several times. Any idea what may be causing this?

Edited by bonfor

10 минут назад, bonfor сказал:

Hi

thank you all for the comments and instructions, I have recently updated from a Rift S to a G2 and OpenXR has definitely made a positive difference compared to using SteamVR. So much so that before this I was kinda missing the smoothness that MR (ASW) gave me in the Rift S. Also the strobo effect with SteamVR when loading missions was just doing my head in and had resorted to closing my eyes to avoid looking - thankfully this is gone with OpenXR.

I have one issue though that I don't think anybody reported: I run an SP mission, go back to the main menu, then start another mission and the FPS is suddendly very bad - like 7-8 - with no recovery. If I exit the game completely and reload it then fps go back to normal. I have reproduced this several times. Any idea what may be causing this?

Symptoms say that most likely you do not have enough VRAM, e.g. this is a typical issue for cards with  8GB VRAM, DCS can eat up even 12 GB like nothing. If that is the case then reduce ground textures and you should be fine.

If not then I'd start with cleanup of the DCS and saved games/DCS folders.

Edited by Fiztex

As above, it seems to be a lack of VRAM in combination with a memory hole in DCS.

Although it's much less common in openxr it does still happen occasionally, in steamvr for me (with 8gb) it's every subsequent flight start so essentially I would need to restart DCS entirely for every flight. In openxr I can go perhaps 5 or so flights before it manifests and the DCS restart is required.

Hopefully the hole will be patched by ED but I'm not sure if it's been acknowledged/investigated despite being raised several times in different places on the forums.

hace 1 hora, Fiztex dijo:

Symptoms say that most likely you do not have enough VRAM, e.g. this is a typical issue for cards with  8GB VRAM, DCS can eat up even 12 GB like nothing. If that is the case then reduce ground textures and you should be fine.

If not then I'd start with cleanup of the DCS and saved games/DCS folders.

In my rig, this happens only with the apache and the hind modules, I  have a very decent rtx 3080ti 12Gb and 64gb pc RAM , The only solution I find to solve this is running this two modules with medium settings in textures (there is a AH 64 cockpit mod that works fine in this settings. In medium textures setting the apache cockpit is (in my reverb g2 ) same as with high textures (can`t see difference) but never found the issue again.

Hope it helps

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

7 часов назад, tomeye сказал:

Is there a way to choose medium textures per mod? I only thought it's global.

No, AFAIK. What I did to simplify things is set up separate custom graphics settings for helicopters, jets and heavy MP servers, so this way I can get the right ones by two clicks in the settings when I need to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2022 at 9:29 AM, hannibal said:

thanks everyone.

seems like alot to get openxr working on quest.

but as a rift s, odessy, reverb g1,g2 aero andvarjo aero owner..

i recently went back to samsung odessey and now finding it as a great and comfy headset now..

I have mine active as per the log but can't get the menu to pop up. I never have been able to but apparently people have with it. Not sure how but... yeah.. I wish there was a .cfg file to configure out of headset but I'm guessing it's more complicated that that. 

6 hours ago, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

I have mine active as per the log but can't get the menu to pop up. I never have been able to but apparently people have with it. Not sure how but... yeah.. I wish there was a .cfg file to configure out of headset but I'm guessing it's more complicated that that. 

I believe that you can edit the registry entries for OXRTK to adjust settings, it's a much slower method than the ingame menu though but it will allow you to enable upscaling/FFR etc pretty easily.  I'll take a screencap of the registry entries later on and post it up with some explanations 🙂

edit: something like this: -

There are a couple of other entries that were off the bottom of the screen but if you want to know a particular settings then I can let you know what the key is and the necessary values.  The settings shown are generally as per default except with FFR on quality/wide preset, resolution set to 3100 wide and reprojection disabled.

image.png

Edited by edmuss
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, edmuss said:

I believe that you can edit the registry entries for OXRTK to adjust settings, it's a much slower method than the ingame menu though but it will allow you to enable upscaling/FFR etc pretty easily.  I'll take a screencap of the registry entries later on and post it up with some explanations 🙂

edit: something like this: -

There are a couple of other entries that were off the bottom of the screen but if you want to know a particular settings then I can let you know what the key is and the necessary values.  The settings shown are generally as per default except with FFR on quality/wide preset, resolution set to 3100 wide and reprojection disabled.

image.png

You're a golden god! Please do! I will definitely be doing this. This is huge for all amount of people who just can't get the display menu working! 

I currently only have 2 options besides the default key and module.

Bypass and First run.

I must be missing something...

I suspect that without the toolkit writing the keys in via the ingame menu you will have to manually create them.  I don't believe you need all of them for it to function correctly, certainly when we started setting it all up with DCS we were testing out random reg entries to see what they did 😄

Have exported my OpenComposite_DCS reg key and attached it, you can then insert/edit/copy to your hearts content 🙂

OpenComposite_DCS_edmuss24.05.22.reg

4 hours ago, edmuss said:

I suspect that without the toolkit writing the keys in via the ingame menu you will have to manually create them.  I don't believe you need all of them for it to function correctly, certainly when we started setting it all up with DCS we were testing out random reg entries to see what they did 😄

Have exported my OpenComposite_DCS reg key and attached it, you can then insert/edit/copy to your hearts content 🙂

OpenComposite_DCS_edmuss24.05.22.reg 3.67 kB · 3 downloads

Thank you so much! I got it installed, changed the path to D for my install.

Is there a way to check to see Openxr is actually loading? 

Currently I have the opencomposite ACC with ini file in bin, skatezilla set to launch steamvr.

for some reason I had the opencomposite app working prior and DCS would come up and I could set it system wide but now I can't get it to pick up opencompositeDCS.exe 

So I just did it manually.. (I had the ini file in the bin, and even tried if it would pick it up with the manual files there but no luck)

None of that will really matter as long as I can check the API and make sure it's loading. The only log from tool kit companion was when I initially ran it. It was successful and the openxr tools shows oculus with XR toolkit as API layer, demo works and all.

Thanks for your help, I'm positive this will help LOADS of people as they are kind of left in the dust when they ask about the Quest2 install process. The structure makes sense however when features don't work it's hard to troubleshoot.  

6 часов назад, HoBGoBLiNzx3 сказал:

Thank you so much! I got it installed, changed the path to D for my install.

Is there a way to check to see Openxr is actually loading? 

You can check the built-in DCS WMR tool - it doesn't work in Oculus mode, but it does in OpenXR. Also there should be a log file next to exe, you can try to check it out.

For me with latest versions of OC and OXRTK on Quest 2 installation was pretty straightforward:

1) Install OpenXR for Windows Mixed Reality. Did not not change any settings there;

2) Install OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality. Again, did not not change any settings there. 

3) Make sure Oculus remains as the active OpenXR runtime, can be checked in Oculus Home settings and changed there to this default, if needed.

4) Install OpenXR-Toolkit 1.1.2. All I did there is enabled experimental features and changed the menu keys to arrows (nothing which makes it run or not, I think);

5) Replace openvr_api.dll in DCS/bin with a current 64 bit version of Open Composite. No ini file was needed in my case. I've made a mod with OvGME for this to keep it organized.

6) Rename D3DCompiler_47.dll in DCS/bin e.g. into D3DCompiler_47.bckp. Your system should normally have an updated dll on it's own, DCS has it's older version which doesn't work with current OC AFAIK.

7) Launch DCS.exe with --force_steam_vr parameter. Some use Skatezilla's app for this, should not really matter.

And that's it, you should have DCS working with OpenXR and OXRTK on Quest 2.

FYI keep PD setting in DCS at 1.0, change PD in Oculus Debug Tool in case you need it. For reference, this is how my config looks like on rtx3080ti and IPD between positions 1 and 2 on Quest 2:

IMG_20220525_075127.png

And PD in Oculus Home is all the way to the maximum (I don't think it makes sense leaving it anywhere else, unless your system is really struggling with performance). This works in 72 Hz for me with ASW disabled with proper graphics settings in DCS with all modules that I fly. I don't fly Marianas, of course 😉

If you have image distortions (you really shouldn't with latest versions of everything) enable DCS built-in WMR tool and click "swap top and btm" for both eyes:

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/214525-wmr-debug-tool-cross-eye-alignment/

P.S. Man, I've typed this all on my phone accessing my PC through remote desktop while laying in the bed.. when the PC is only 5 meters away. I must be nuts 😂

Edited by Fiztex