OpenXR Toolkit Tuning Guide (updated 21/02/23)

edmuss

Mr edmuss could you explain this to me?

(Change the resolution to around 2600-2900 wide on the G2.
Enable FFV on the quality/wide (slowest but best looking) preset.

because I did not understand what these settings are and where they are!
thank you

After reinstalling the OS and following the guide, for some reason DCS now opens in full screen despite the VR checkbox being on. SteamVR works.

Edit: I was using the OpenComposite switcher program that seems to be the currently recommended solution, but it was the culprit. Dropping openvr_api.dll manually into the game directory solved the issue. In both cases, the d3dcompiler_47.dll file was removed manually.

This is why I hate automatic updaters that force the latest version down one's throat.

Edited by andyn
Found a solution.

Will FFR ever happen with Radeon GPUs?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

2 hours ago, PLUTON said:

Mr edmuss could you explain this to me?

(Change the resolution to around 2600-2900 wide on the G2.
Enable FFV on the quality/wide (slowest but best looking) preset.

because I did not understand what these settings are and where they are!
thank you

I think it's in the system tab under override resolution. 100% resolution on the G2 is 3176 wide, especially if you're running MSAA you should be able to drop to 2800 wide without any significant quality loss but with a fair improvement in performance 🙂

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

7 hours ago, andyn said:

After reinstalling the OS and following the guide, for some reason DCS now opens in full screen despite the VR checkbox being on. SteamVR works.

Edit: I was using the OpenComposite switcher program that seems to be the currently recommended solution, but it was the culprit. Dropping openvr_api.dll manually into the game directory solved the issue. In both cases, the d3dcompiler_47.dll file was removed manually.

This is why I hate automatic updaters that force the latest version down one's throat.

Perhaps You forgot to delete the D3DCompiler_47.dll that gets reinstalled every time in DCS after a update?

If this is present the global installation of OpenXR through OpenComposite will fail with DCS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

8 hours ago, edmuss said:

I think it's in the system tab under override resolution. 100% resolution on the G2 is 3176 wide, especially if you're running MSAA you should be able to drop to 2800 wide without any significant quality loss but with a fair improvement in performance 🙂

I tried this change and it went to 25fps from 40, any ideas?

Were you using the default resolution in the openxr desktop app before overriding it in the toolkit?

If so it will have automatically set the recommended resolution based upon the amount of VRAM you have. For my 8gb 3070 it's about 2450 I think, it equates to about 62% render resolution.

The number is calculated by the size of the three frame buffers with 4x MSAA applied should be less than 10% of available VRAM.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

6 hours ago, MA_Goblin said:

Perhaps You forgot to delete the D3DCompiler_47.dll that gets reinstalled every time in DCS after a update?

If this is present the global installation of OpenXR through OpenComposite will fail with DCS.

Nope. Checking if I forgot to remove it was literally the first troubleshooting step I did.

• Like 1

OXR for WMR update 

Screenshot 2022-06-18 082229.jpg

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

edmus said:
I think it's in the system tab under the alternate resolution. The 100% resolution on the G2 is 3176 wide, especially if you're using MSAA you should be able to go to 2800 wide without significant quality loss but with a noticeable performance improvement🙂

I think it's In the OXRTK the setting you're talking about!!😉

On 6/18/2022 at 2:47 PM, edmuss said:

Were you using the default resolution in the openxr desktop app before overriding it in the toolkit?

If so it will have automatically set the recommended resolution based upon the amount of VRAM you have. For my 8gb 3070 it's about 2450 I think, it equates to about 62% render resolution.

The number is calculated by the size of the three frame buffers with 4x MSAA applied should be less than 10% of available VRAM.

It is set 100% in OXR desktop app and I am using 3080ti with 12GB vram. I also have 2xMSAA and the only change I made was OXRTK System -> Resolution

The toolkit resolution override will supercede the desktop app so I'm not too sure what's happened there. Is it a repeatable drop in performance (so it goes back up if you remove the OXRTK resolution override)?

Could it be something else external that's nailed your framerate?

edit: Jabbah on the open composite discord had just raised the point that the latest windows update has forced HAGS on which will affect performance. Check that it's off 🙂

Edited by edmuss

28 minutes ago, edmuss said:

The toolkit resolution override will supercede the desktop app so I'm not too sure what's happened there. Is it a repeatable drop in performance (so it goes back up if you remove the OXRTK resolution override)?

Could it be something else external that's nailed your framerate?

edit: Jabbah on the open composite discord had just raised the point that the latest windows update has forced HAGS on which will affect performance. Check that it's off 🙂

HAGS is off. First time I chose resolution override I had to restart VR and after restarting fps went to 25. Having seen that I went again into ctrl+F2 System and disabled the override. For some reason that I do not understand this did not require restart of VR and immediately it went back to 40fps.

Yeah something seems a miss because it should request a VR restart for any resolution change, enabling/disabling reprojection or enabling/disabling upscaling (FSR/NIS).

Perhaps try resetting the options from the toolkit desktop app?

With compostie version 0.6.3 the whole installation and use process for this appears to have changed. (https://gitlab.com/Jabbah/open-composite-acc/-/releases)

Does anyone have a link to an updated "how to" guide since the move to 0.6.3, which steps me though each download and install?

I have looked at a few YT videos that are as recent as March 2022, and they all seem to be referring to the older 0.6.2 layout, the links for which are no longer usable...

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

0.6.3 has been deprecated for over a month, the main openxr thread has full set of step by step instructions and has done since Jabbahs development was merged with open composite and the global switcher was released 🙂

Edited by edmuss

I read that some people had to restart
dcs after each mission with G2 and opencomposite?
Me it's the same I have an hp g2 and since I have openxr and opencomposite I have to restart dcs after each mission because otherwise the next mission is unplayable (4 or 5 fps)
it does the same thing to me if I change my view (from f1 to f2 or f3 and back to f1) what or who do you think it comes from?😏

3 минуты назад, PLUTON сказал:

I read that some people had to restart
dcs after each mission with G2 and opencomposite?
Me it's the same I have an hp g2 and since I have openxr and opencomposite I have to restart dcs after each mission because otherwise the next mission is unplayable (4 or 5 fps)
it does the same thing to me if I change my view (from f1 to f2 or f3 and back to f1) what or who do you think it comes from?😏

In 99% of cases not enough VRAM, DCS is bad at managing it. Main VRAM hogs are the textures BTW.

Edited by Fiztex

@edmuss

So what res do you recommend in OXRTools for the G2 to get close to "native" res??  77%?  You're saying that 100% is really ~3176wide per eye?

Thanks for your time...  I'm sure you've said it before but I looked back through this page where you're talking about res a little but no clear suggestion for 1:1 res for G2.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Native display panel resolution on the G2 of 2160 wide, however you need to supersample the renderer image by a factor of about 1.47 (3176/2160) to account for lens distortion correction.

Setting the G2 to 100% in any VR renderer will result in 3176 wide, anything less is undersampling it. When setting default resolution in OXRDT (where is bases it on your VRAM capacity) it worked out that for my 8gb to use 2600 or there about which was a little above 60% according to the slider/reported resolution in openxr.

To me, setting the G2 to 2160 wide looks terrible, using the maths above it's an apparant resolution after distortion correction of about 1470 wide.

On a bit of a U-turn I'm currently running 2800 wide which is about 88% of 3176 and FSR at 85% with no sharpening. Not sure if a recent OXRTK has cleaned up the FSR crawling ants and shimmer but it seems much cleaner than it was.

@edmuss

Interesting...  I used to set SVR to 100% (and the numbers read 2160ish below the per-app slider) and it looked fine.

The lense distortion correction point seems like marketing speak to me...  But I'm not sure.

What I do know is the higher you go with the resolution the harder spotting becomes in VR...  to a point...  You can go low enough that it just looks too pixelated so you can't spot (aircraft anyhow) and you can go high enough that the "dot" that is a plane gets removed or faded by the SS routines.

With both my current G2 and my old Vive I found the best setup for spotting enemy air is real close to 1:1 native pixel res...  or just a bit over...  like +10-15% pixels.

Edited by M1Combat

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Anyone getting a black screen all of sudden with Openxr toolkit? If I click the disable box or start in safe mode everything is fine, otherwise DCS boots fine, but as soon as I start a flight, the screen goes black.

MSFS2020 has no problems, only DCS.

Try pressing the vr recenter button a couple of times

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg