OpenXR Toolkit Tuning Guide (updated 21/02/23)

edmuss

I'd try binding a different key combination and see if it's somehow linked?

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

23 hours ago, philstyle said:

With compostie version 0.6.3 the whole installation and use process for this appears to have changed. (https://gitlab.com/Jabbah/open-composite-acc/-/releases)

Does anyone have a link to an updated "how to" guide since the move to 0.6.3, which steps me though each download and install?

I have looked at a few YT videos that are as recent as March 2022, and they all seem to be referring to the older 0.6.2 layout, the links for which are no longer usable...

@philstyle I followed the install guide here: https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/-/tree/openxr#downloading-and-installation. Effectively these are the steps I used today to install it (I was using 0.6.3, which I can explain if you want) However, :

1. I am using OvGME, so I created a mod folder "OpenComposite/bin to place it in the DCS "BIN" folder to include the 64-bit (required below) openvr_api.dll (https://znix.xyz/OpenComposite/download.php?arch=x64&branch=openxr).

"Find your game's openvr_api.dll file (this is in the DCS/bin folder), and replace it (though I highly recommend keeping a copy of the old file if you want to switch back) with one of the DLLs available above. Be sure to get the matching platform - if the game is a 32-bit game you need the 32-bit DLL, even though you're probably running a 64-bit computer. Simple solution: if one doesn't work, try the other.

2. Download the OpenComposite Launcher.

3.Unzip it to a folder of your choosing (Used the OvGME folder I created, and run OpenComposite.exe.

4. Click 'Switch to OpenComposite', and wait while the DLLs are downloaded. Games will now run via OpenComposite rather than SteamVR."\

5. Download OPENXR toolkit latest is 1.1.4 https://github.com/mbucchia/OpenXR-Toolkit/releases/tag/1.1.4

6. Install OPEN XR toolkit

7. Run OPEN XR toolkit, I changed the menu keys to CTL+ALT with the arrow keys. 

8. I have a PIMAX, so needed the PIMAXXR latest is 0.2.0 https://github.com/mbucchia/Pimax-OpenXR/releases (not sure if you have a PIMAX or not)

9. Launch DCS and press the OPEN XR menu "down" key to open the menu and tune as required.

*Note, the latest OpenComposite, OPENXR tool kit 1.1.4 and PIMAXXR 0.2.0 work together. I found using different versions eg 1.1.0 and 0.2.0 didn't work only 1.1.0 & 0.1.2.

This video has a good explanation of the Open XR tool kit (relevant to DCS too): https://youtu.be/pihlOD6yhsM

Good luck

Sav

Edited by sav07
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, M1Combat said:

@edmuss

Interesting...  I used to set SVR to 100% (and the numbers read 2160ish below the per-app slider) and it looked fine.

The lense distortion correction point seems like marketing speak to me...  But I'm not sure.

What I do know is the higher you go with the resolution the harder spotting becomes in VR...  to a point...  You can go low enough that it just looks too pixelated so you can't spot (aircraft anyhow) and you can go high enough that the "dot" that is a plane gets removed or faded by the SS routines.

With both my current G2 and my old Vive I found the best setup for spotting enemy air is real close to 1:1 native pixel res...  or just a bit over...  like +10-15% pixels.

Yeah the mismatch in resolution is an odd one especially as I believe the G1 used 2160 as per the panels; but the 3176 @100% was confirmed by HP tech for the G2.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

8 hours ago, Roller25 said:

Seems to work until I press the key combination to get into the settings menu. Only during a flight though. Functions fine in the DCS home screen.

Mine started doing this a couple weeks ago. Haven't found a cause but, most of the time if I restart WMR and DCS it doesn't occur on the next launch. But will sneak back in later. Like it's every other time.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

4 hours ago, Sr. said:

Mine started doing this a couple weeks ago. Haven't found a cause but, most of the time if I restart WMR and DCS it doesn't occur on the next launch. But will sneak back in later. Like it's every other time.

Mine only started since I changed from an ovgme install to the new automatic system wide installation.

The DCS logo no longer appears in the Open composite window, so I uninstalled Open composite and reinstalled it and when I started DCS it (dcs logo) was still not there!
Does this mean Opencomposite isn't working?

7 minutes ago, PLUTON said:

The DCS logo no longer appears in the Open composite window, so I uninstalled Open composite and reinstalled it and when I started DCS it (dcs logo) was still not there!
Does this mean Opencomposite isn't working?

Have you tried running it in 2D to check that there isn't a problem with DCS itself?

Also, if DCS is running in the headset and steamvr isn't running then yes, open composite is working 🙂

One more question and I’m gonna get this rolling tomorrow, so in the guide it says 3 things needed but didn’t mention OpenXR developer tool kit… so I’m gonna have to download that as well ? I’m sorry I’m so far behind. 

thanks 

Mako

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

11 minutes ago, Burt said:

One more question and I’m gonna get this rolling tomorrow, so in the guide it says 3 things needed but didn’t mention OpenXR developer tool kit… so I’m gonna have to download that as well ? I’m sorry I’m so far behind. 

thanks 

Mako

There is no such thing as OpenXR Developer Toolkit

There is OpenXR Tools (former OpenXR Developer Tools)

There Is OpenXR Toolkit

They are mentioned in the guide and it's still 100% correct as of writing 

Okay nikoel clear enough thank you.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Has anyone seen this error?  I know there's a post about it on the GitHub but no response on there as to the cause.  I had OpenXR installed and working, then closed out for DCS for the evening and went back in today and the error started up during DCS splash screen.  When I click ok to acknowledge the error, it closes out DCS.  There has never been a C:\projects\openovr\openovr\Reimpl folder on my computer.

Hit stubbed file at C:\projects\openovr\OpenOVR\Reimpl\BaseRenderModels.cpp:342 func GetRenderModelName

So the oxrtk res slider is like the SVRCR slider?

Start Date April 2020 

49 minutes ago, Burt said:

So the oxrtk res slider is like the SVRCR slider?

The desktop openxr tools resolution override slider is about analogous to the steamvr supersampling slider. I'd recommend leaving it at default and using the resolution override on the system tab of the in-game menu.

• Thanks 1

Gotcha ! Thanks again

Start Date April 2020 

Hi, could someone more intelligent than me please help me with a small problem?

I have installed evryything without a hitch and it is all working wonderfully - thanks to all who developed this.  Incredible work.

The only issue I have is that I constantly get a thin bright white breakthrough of image on the bottom edge of the display.  It seems to appear when on top of a cloud layer etc and so I suspect it is something to do with the VR mask not being big enough?  I've looked everywhere to try and find out how to fix this and seen suggestions about "making own mask", but no joy in discovering how!

I have created an opencomposite.ini file in the game bin directory and applied the MeshFix line, but no difference.

Using a Reverb G2.  Can someone steer me how to fix this please?

Many thanks in advance.

Same here Jon , I’ll be tackling that this morning. At first I may have accidentally slid the inner ring to 56% and changed it to 60% from my research on a YouTube video. I thought about it in my sleep last night so I’m gonna try to put it back on 56 % to see if it makes a difference. We are in the same boat I started this OXR on Saturday and I had a lot help but I’m still trying to tweak the , I guess they call it the jelly effect in F2 view or flybys I. A dogfight. I’m just trying to get it like SVR was then tweak from there.

Start Date April 2020 

29 minutes ago, Burt said:

Same here Jon , I’ll be tackling that this morning. At first I may have accidentally slid the inner ring to 56% and changed it to 60% from my research on a YouTube video. I thought about it in my sleep last night so I’m gonna try to put it back on 56 % to see if it makes a difference. We are in the same boat I started this OXR on Saturday and I had a lot help but I’m still trying to tweak the , I guess they call it the jelly effect in F2 view or flybys I. A dogfight. I’m just trying to get it like SVR was then tweak from there.

You can't get rid of the jelly effect through the tool. It's something that Microsoft need to address as I understood it. They only way to be rid of it is to turn off motion reprojection.

• Thanks 1

Oh wow ! Okay then I guess I’m as close as I’m gonna get then. I guess today I’ll test without MR, I really like though but I guess I need to try without. 

Thanks !

Start Date April 2020 

You should find that clarity without reprojection may be better as well, it makes it all fuzzy for me when it's on.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Burt said:

Oh wow ! Okay then I guess I’m as close as I’m gonna get then. I guess today I’ll test without MR, I really like though but I guess I need to try without. 

Thanks !

Try it with WMR running at 60Hz. If you're one of the lucky few who don't get or can't see the strobe/flicker at 60, you will love the performance and there's no need for MR.

Also, without the need for MR, you can utilize the "anti shake" slider from the toolkit menu. Really steadies VR pointer-head movements.

Edited by Sr.
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Right on will try 60hz here in a few. So disable MR in both oxrdt and the ingame toolkit and just run 60hz ? Ill give it a shot. 
Thx SR !

Start Date April 2020