OpenXR Toolkit Tuning Guide (updated 21/02/23)

edmuss

On 6/5/2022 at 6:50 AM, A.F. said:

If I want to downgrade from 1.1.3 to 1.1.2 or 1.1.1 do I have to uninstall certain files?
Does anyone have experience with this?

Yes, you have to uninstall the newer version to go back to the old one. 

MSI X790 Carbon Wifi, 13900K, MSI 4090 Suprim X, 64gb DDR5 6400CL30, HP Reverb G2, VKB NXT Evo, VKB STECS Max, Thrustmaster rudder pedals

On 5/23/2022 at 7:47 PM, edmuss said:

As above, it seems to be a lack of VRAM in combination with a memory hole in DCS.

Although it's much less common in openxr it does still happen occasionally, in steamvr for me (with 8gb) it's every subsequent flight start so essentially I would need to restart DCS entirely for every flight. In openxr I can go perhaps 5 or so flights before it manifests and the DCS restart is required.

Hopefully the hole will be patched by ED but I'm not sure if it's been acknowledged/investigated despite being raised several times in different places on the forums.

I used to have a Rift S and I never had to restart DCS after every mission. But I have to do that with the G2 and opencomposite. It sounds like a memory leak somewhere, but am not really sure it's just DCS.

I have a G2 and never need to restart DCS after every mission running openxr, so I suspect something else is at play...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

34 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

I have a G2 and never need to restart DCS after every mission running openxr, so I suspect something else is at play...

Says the man with 24gb VRAM 😉

• Like 2

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

It is a burden...

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 2

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

5800 and 3090 G2 here…

I’ve heard some say don’t use MR but then I see you are advocating it ?

also I’ve just left FSR/NIS off as I don’t really understand what these do.

Lastly, I have 4x MSAA on - does sharpness setting effect anti aliasing ? Ie what if I raise this to 40% ?

On 4/4/2022 at 11:08 AM, edmuss said:

Ah, now locking the repojection is not the same as auto; that naming convention has caused all sorts of confusion because it's completely different to how WMR4SVR is set up.

OXR MR always on is the same as WMR4SVR auto.
OXR MR locked (45hz) is the same as WMR4SVR always on.

The switch to OXR and it's reduction in shimmer is why I've moved away from upscaling.  Previously with vrperkit I was running SVR150% with 0.75 FSR renderscale, now with the clarity given by OXR and the introduction of the upscaling shimmer is much more jarring to me and I'd rather run the lower resolution (which happily aliases less than SVR) and keep the image quality and performance 🙂

Could you please share your DCS and Open Toolkit settings ?

Im on 5800/3090 G2 

1 hour ago, USA_Recon said:

5800 and 3090 G2 here…

I’ve heard some say don’t use MR but then I see you are advocating it ?

also I’ve just left FSR/NIS off as I don’t really understand what these do.

Lastly, I have 4x MSAA on - does sharpness setting effect anti aliasing ? Ie what if I raise this to 40% ?

It's largely personal preference, there is no hard and fast rules as to how you set it up because different people see different things.

Currently I'm not using MR, the instability of the image keeps me coming back to having it off.  In my case the smoothness is just fine without it at the 60-70 fps that I can pull.

4xMSAA will really hammer your framerates, do you need 4x or have you just set it because it's there as an option?  I would run MSAA if I had the GPU power but I don't so I'll live with it 😄

Sharpening adds shimmer to the rendered image, I don't use it at all.

Could you please share your DCS and Open Toolkit settings ?

Im on 5800/3090 G2 

My DCS settings are attached, OXRTK I just use FFR quality/wide preset.

OpenComposite_DCS_20220612_155845_R.png

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

new version of the Toolkit out... (v1.1.4)

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Will investigate later although not expecting any major changes per se 🙂

34 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Will investigate later although not expecting any major changes per se 🙂

No major changes. Just a fix for Pimax users.

B010D2C7-AB20-4706-AEDF-5D0ECD2DD1B7.png

• Like 1

i9-13900k (stock), ASUS TUF 4090 OC, Gigabyte Z790 UD AX, Corsair Vengeance Black 64GB 5200MHz DDR5, 1 x 1TB WD_BLACK SN850x GEN4 NVMe, 1 x 2TB WD_BLACK SN850x GEN4 NVMe, 1 x SanDisk SSD PLUS 1 TB SATA III 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1650W PCIe GEN 5.0 ATX3.0 PSU, Corsair AIO iLink cooler, Corsair Graphite 780t Full Tower ATX Case (White), Meta Quest Pro VR headset, Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 49" UltraWide Dual Quad HD 240Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, Thrustmaster Viper Mission Pack, Thrustmaster Cougar F-16 throttle, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Thrustmaster F-18 stick, Thrustmaster TPR rudder, Winwing ICP, Edifer e25HD Luna HD speakers. 1 Gbps uplink and downlink FTTP. Windows 11. Hot tub, hot wife. Living the dream!

On 6/12/2022 at 11:04 AM, edmuss said:

It's largely personal preference, there is no hard and fast rules as to how you set it up because different people see different things.

Currently I'm not using MR, the instability of the image keeps me coming back to having it off.  In my case the smoothness is just fine without it at the 60-70 fps that I can pull.

4xMSAA will really hammer your framerates, do you need 4x or have you just set it because it's there as an option?  I would run MSAA if I had the GPU power but I don't so I'll live with it 😄

Sharpening adds shimmer to the rendered image, I don't use it at all.

My DCS settings are attached, OXRTK I just use FFR quality/wide preset.

OpenComposite_DCS_20220612_155845_R.png

Thanks - I had to keep it off

I run msaa because EDs graphics are something out of Lego land in VR without it 

maybe the sharpening is the cause of what I see as a glossy glare in the cockpit tent is really bad .  I’ll try turning that off.

I miss the shader mods that fixed the fake terrible cockpit reflections - need some windex 🙂

thanks

I have not yet understood a connection. 
In OpenXR tool I can set the number of pixels with the slider.  
Less than 100% = fewer pixels = poorer image. And vice versa 

In the OPXR toolkit I can also set the pixels (NIS/FSR).
If I set fewer pixels there (less than 100%) then the number of pixels decreases - that is understandable. 
But if I set more than 100%, then the number of pixels also decreases. 
So which is better? 
In the OPXRT to 100% and in OPXR toolkit less than 100% or more than 100%?
Can anyone help me?

Thanks - I had to keep it off

I run msaa because EDs graphics are something out of Lego land in VR without it 

maybe the sharpening is the cause of what I see as a glossy glare in the cockpit tent is really bad .  I’ll try turning that off.

I miss the shader mods that fixed the fake terrible cockpit reflections - need some windex 🙂

thanks

I don't use sharpening at all because of the shimmering caused by how the engine renders in VR.  To me, 90% render resolution is a pretty good image with regards to aliasing; there is some but it's not all that horrific.  If I had the horsepower I would run MSAA because it really quells the shimmering but at the same time it also makes it all a bit fuzzy looking.

You can still use Taz's version of Kegetys shader mod or lefuneste's 3Dmigoto to remove the canopy reflections with openxr 🙂

25 minutes ago, A.F. said:
I have not yet understood a connection. 
In OpenXR tool I can set the number of pixels with the slider.  
Less than 100% = fewer pixels = poorer image. And vice versa 

In the OPXR toolkit I can also set the pixels (NIS/FSR).
If I set fewer pixels there (less than 100%) then the number of pixels decreases - that is understandable. 
But if I set more than 100%, then the number of pixels also decreases. 
So which is better? 
In the OPXRT to 100% and in OPXR toolkit less than 100% or more than 100%?
Can anyone help me?

There are two methods of setting render resolution with openxr: -

Using OXRDT (the desktop openxr tools) to set a custom global resolution. The default render resolution is based upon the amount of VRAM you have - it's calculated that the three back buffers with 4xMSAA applied shouldn't be larger than 10% of available VRAM.  For my 8gb 3070 it works out to be approximately 2450x2450 but this is only a rough starting point.

or

Using OXRTK (the in headset menu) to set a per app resolution override.  Here you set pixel width rather than a percentage.

Both options achieve the same end result, I would leave the desktop tools app at default and then use the resolution override in game.

The NIS/FSR option in OXRTK is simply upscaling from a percentage of your target resolution (set above).  So if your resolution is 3000 wide, upscaling set to 70% it will render the image at 2100 wide and then upscale it with magic and unicorns back to the 3000 wide; however the more information you can give it the better the image quality.  Setting the resolution to 2100 wide and then upscaling it from 70% will give a poor image.

Personally I don't like the upscaled image in openxr as it introduces micro aliasing across the whole screen which manifests as moire effects on the terrain which I find far more distracting than a few less FPS 🙂

3 hours ago, edmuss said:

I don't use sharpening at all because of the shimmering caused by how the engine renders in VR.  To me, 90% render resolution is a pretty good image with regards to aliasing; there is some but it's not all that horrific.  If I had the horsepower I would run MSAA because it really quells the shimmering but at the same time it also makes it all a bit fuzzy looking.

You can still use Taz's version of Kegetys shader mod or lefuneste's 3Dmigoto to remove the canopy reflections with openxr 🙂

There are two methods of setting render resolution with openxr: -

Using OXRDT (the desktop openxr tools) to set a custom global resolution. The default render resolution is based upon the amount of VRAM you have - it's calculated that the three back buffers with 4xMSAA applied shouldn't be larger than 10% of available VRAM.  For my 8gb 3070 it works out to be approximately 2450x2450 but this is only a rough starting point.

or

Using OXRTK (the in headset menu) to set a per app resolution override.  Here you set pixel width rather than a percentage.

Both options achieve the same end result, I would leave the desktop tools app at default and then use the resolution override in game.

The NIS/FSR option in OXRTK is simply upscaling from a percentage of your target resolution (set above).  So if your resolution is 3000 wide, upscaling set to 70% it will render the image at 2100 wide and then upscale it with magic and unicorns back to the 3000 wide; however the more information you can give it the better the image quality.  Setting the resolution to 2100 wide and then upscaling it from 70% will give a poor image.

Personally I don't like the upscaled image in openxr as it introduces micro aliasing across the whole screen which manifests as moire effects on the terrain which I find far more distracting than a few less FPS 🙂

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305420/ mod works with OpenXR ?

Yup, lefuneste updated it shortly after openxr was shown to be useful for DCS 🙂

Big thank you to everyone for testing the stuffing out of this set of tools! 

My one tip, if you are seeing that constant tick tick in the terrain at 3 and 9, try Foveated Rendering > Preset > Performance in the OXRTK.

I have been using OXR and I am trying to understand why I am getting solid 45 with uh-1h but on ah-64d things are quite fluid. Same graphics settings I get 40fps but randomly it goes down to 10-15 with very high GPU time.

Can this happen because of the higher quality textures and more complex 3d model? I would say yes but it should happen all the time.

That should start up DCS in openxr without any problems.

Start up wmrp first, then start DCS from a desktop shortcut linking to the DCS.exe and it all should be fine. Steamvr shouldn't open in any instance and it shouldn't open itself.

Are you able to get the OXRTK menu to appear in the headset when you're in DCS?  I rebind the default keys in the conpanion app to Ctrl+ arrows rather than F1-F4 as it seems to work better; I use Ctrl+Down arrow to open up the menu.

Follow my rough outlines for setup on the first post of this thread to figure out what would suit you best and then continue tweaking until you have smooth experience that you're happy with.

Given your hardware (being pretty similar to mine) I would start with the following as a baseline in OXRTK and tweak it accordingly: -

Override resolution to around 2600-2900 wide on the G2.
Enable FFV on quality/wide preset (the slowest but best looking).

In DCS run medium/low textures to start with (you can always turn them up if you have GPU headroom), low/flat shadows and set the rest to medium.  I would disable MSAA unless you need to use it.

Try it with and without MR, it will be smoother with but with artifacts but performance is generally better without it; you are relying on openxr vsync to keep it relatively smooth, it's not as good as MR or achieving refresh rate but I find it perfectly usable in the 55-75 fps range that I get.

Here I made my settings according to my eyes
and how I feel when I fly.
In the OXRDT I set to 100% and MR activated (because without I have stutters).
In the OXRTK the setting with the foveal rendering activate at max.
I'm at 60% and my fps are locked at 30 with between 19 and 22 ms
the reprojection indicates 1/2 .
My fps vary between 29 & 31 depending on where I am.
I tested and it seems to be going well it's very fluid in SP flight anyway I never fly in MP. There are still some adjustments that I haven't made because I don't speak English I absolutely don't know what that means. if you still have advice, I'm open to improving it again and again.
Good flight edmuss and to all for your time and thank you👍

PS: Openxr changes all in DCS and makes flight immersive:pilotfly:

I forgot to tell you that with all this I allowed myself to put msaa on x2 which could not be done with Steamvr.
I especially don't want to spit on Steamvr because it served me well but Openxr is the size above.🤩

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1