OpenXR Toolkit Tuning Guide (updated 21/02/23)

edmuss

My personal preference would turn down/off MSAA and run higher render resolution.  The upscalers introduce shimmer in DCS which is what you apply MSAA to combat.

MSAA cost in DCS is high, if you have an nvidia gpu try 2x MSAA with MFAA enabled, not too sure if it works in VR but worth trying.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

57 минут назад, edmuss сказал:

If you have an nvidia gpu try 2x MSAA with MFAA enabled, not too sure if it works in VR but worth trying.

I can confirm that MFAA does work on top of 2x MSAA. It's like a free extra step of MSAA, basically like a free switch from 2x to 4x. Been flying like this for quite a long time in VR. Same option often works for other games too.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Fiztex said:

I can confirm that MFAA does work on top of 2x MSAA. It's like a free extra step of MSAA, basically like a free switch from 2x to 4x. Been flying like this for quite a long time in VR. Same option often works for other games too.

Do you mean enabling MFAA in NVidia control panel and MSAA in game?

31 минуту назад, tomeye сказал:

Do you mean enabling MFAA in NVidia control panel and MSAA in game?

Correct. Also, would recommend to try fast vsync in NVIDIA control panel, works much better for me in VR too (Quest 2, ASW off, 72 Hz).

Edited by Fiztex
  • Thanks 1

I just got a 3090 upgrade from 2080ti.

I made a small mission, mossie attack. Some 50 ground assets and static buildings. And 9 planes.

With steam vr at 48% gives me 45ish FPS. I changed to open xr with toll kit. Motion projection on and 50% in dev tool.

In tool kit I have fsr 80% and sharpening 60%

And I only get 22fps with much more noticble slowdown when firing guns etc.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

8 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

I just got a 3090 upgrade from 2080ti.

I made a small mission, mossie attack. Some 50 ground assets and static buildings. And 9 planes.

With steam vr at 48% gives me 45ish FPS. I changed to open xr with toll kit. Motion projection on and 50% in dev tool.

In tool kit I have fsr 80% and sharpening 60%

And I only get 22fps with much more noticble slowdown when firing guns etc.

I would hazard that you could turn all settings to almost maximum and get the same performance, sounds as though you're CPU bound.

Fly a free flight mission on Caucasus without reprojection and then see what it's doing 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

1 hour ago, Fiztex said:

Correct. Also, would recommend to try fast vsync in NVIDIA control panel, works much better for me in VR too (Quest 2, ASW off, 72 Hz).

I have been doing both for quite a while now. MFAA enabled and vsync on fast.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

3 minutes ago, edmuss said:

I would hazard that you could turn all settings to almost maximum and get the same performance, sounds as though you're CPU bound.

Fly a free flight mission on Caucasus without reprojection and then see what it's doing 🙂

But why would I get worse fps with open xr vs steam vr. That's the reverse of what people are saying with open xr.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

2 часа назад, Gunfreak сказал:

But why would I get worse fps with open xr vs steam vr. That's the reverse of what people are saying with open xr.

22 fps means you are likely down to the next step of reprojection. Try to disable it in both SVR and OXR and then compare the performance. Motion reprojection works very different in SVR than in OXR, and it's up to the taste really. Personally, I got better clarity and slightly better performance with OXR, but I'm flying without reprojection, as I just can't stand it in any form. 

Edited by Fiztex

8 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

I've generally seen OXR be slightly lower FPS...  But BETTER SMOOTHNESS anyway.  The smoothness is what you chase FPS for...  Not FPS.  OXR gives better smoothness at a given FPS...  So...  If OXR is "very" close in FPS, it will be much better in smoothness.  Which is what you think you want "FPS" for.  You don't.  You want smoothness.

Anyway...  AS Fiz says I'm sure you're just down into the lowest reprojection stage for some reason.  There's something wrong.  What CPU??

"With steam vr at 48% gives me 45ish FPS. I changed to open xr with toll kit. Motion projection on and 50% in dev tool."

Wut?

That makes no sense.  Something is effed up.  I run a 308012GB and I get real close to 60 everywhere but the boat with some options turned up...  even shadows.  On an od 3800X CPU running a super mild OC at 4.3Ghz.

Slowdown when firing guns you say???  CPU doing physics?

Does DCS use Phys-X?  Are yo installing that with the driver?  I'm not even sure DCS uses it...  but slowdown with guns???  Odd...

Edited by M1Combat
  • Like 2

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

9 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

I always reported this for my testing with the AH64. In my mission, using OpenXR means triggering reproj.  far more than with steamVR.

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

For reference I still get slightly higher fps in openxr over steamvr in back to back tests with identical settings, it's around 2ms better for me. Much smoother in openxr though, more frametime stability but worse reprojection (not that I use it).

You can't really compare outright GPU performance between the different runtimes if you have reprojection turned on.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dburne said:

I have been doing both for quite a while now. MFAA enabled and vsync on fast.

I’m gonna try this turning on MFAA and Vsync on high but what kind of difference will I be aware of compared to it not being enabled ? I’m running MSAA x2 

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

MFAA makes MSAA 2x look like MSAA 4x, that's about the size of it 🙂

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, edmuss said:

MFAA makes MSAA 2x look like MSAA 4x, that's about the size of it 🙂

Gotcha I dont really see any difference being on or off. But I have another question, if your turning vsyn on fast in NCP do I enable it in the DCS settings? 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

2 hours ago, Burt said:

I’m gonna try this turning on MFAA and Vsync on high but what kind of difference will I be aware of compared to it not being enabled ? I’m running MSAA x2 

Just seemed to increase the overall clarity a little, maybe little less shimmering off in distance. Or could be placebo who knows, I just know I feel it is better and have run it that way for some time now.

Vsync on Fast, not High.

Edited by dburne
  • Thanks 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Gotcha Don thanks !

• Like 1

Start Date April 2020 

For those who are finding that reprojection is tanking performance straight down to 15fps, this is a known issue and should be rectified in the next release of the WMR openxr runtimes; current is 111, 112 is anticipated to release this month and should include the fix.

If you are suffering from tanked performance with reprojection on mission start, generally alt tabbing out of DCS and back in once the framerate has settled to normal (in my testing this has taken 5-20 seconds) will generally fix the problem.  This is similar symptoms to the steamvr VRAM overflow issue but this doesn't appear to be caused by lack of VRAM.

• Thanks 4

Thanks edmuss I’ll keep an eye out on that update but will it be an auto update ?

Start Date April 2020 

I think it should be if you have the use latest runtime preview checked in openxr tools. I believe that it will also eventually be rolled out automatically, bundled as part of a windows update in the future.

• Thanks 2

Okay great thanks 👍🏻

Start Date April 2020 

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find any info on it. Has anyone else had issues when launching the OpenXR Tool Kit in a mission and it turning off the headset? I used to have no problem opening the menu in mission, but now anytime I try to my G2 display goes black, but the mirrored display on my monitor still works. I tried launching the tool kit in safe mode and clearing the settings, but it still happens now.

Current system: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | ASUS TUF Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB | G.Skill 64GB Trident Z Neo DDR5 6000mHz | Quest Pro
Matrix: @seven10:matrix.jointspecialforces.org

5 hours ago, seven10 said:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find any info on it. Has anyone else had issues when launching the OpenXR Tool Kit in a mission and it turning off the headset? I used to have no problem opening the menu in mission, but now anytime I try to my G2 display goes black, but the mirrored display on my monitor still works. I tried launching the tool kit in safe mode and clearing the settings, but it still happens now.

I've had that issue intermittently ... never able to nail down what caused it. Currently not having the issue.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

On 8/10/2022 at 6:51 PM, Sr. said:

I've had that issue intermittently ... never able to nail down what caused it. Currently not having the issue.

I can't figure it out still, but it has been happening consistently at least for the past few versions of the tool kit.

Current system: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | ASUS TUF Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB | G.Skill 64GB Trident Z Neo DDR5 6000mHz | Quest Pro
Matrix: @seven10:matrix.jointspecialforces.org