OpenXR Toolkit Tuning Guide (updated 21/02/23)

edmuss

On 8/11/2022 at 3:31 AM, seven10 said:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find any info on it. Has anyone else had issues when launching the OpenXR Tool Kit in a mission and it turning off the headset? I used to have no problem opening the menu in mission, but now anytime I try to my G2 display goes black, but the mirrored display on my monitor still works. I tried launching the tool kit in safe mode and clearing the settings, but it still happens now.

I've been battling this issue also. If you disable 'use latest preview' in OpenXR Tools it'll fix the issue.

Lately I've just been disabling the toolkit though and running the latest preview in OpenXR Tools.

Are you on AMD or Nvidia?

Edited by Roller25

38 minutes ago, Roller25 said:

If you have an AMD card, the new 22.8.1 drivers seem to fix this issue.

I'm running a 6800xt so I will definitely check that out then.

• Like 1

Current system: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | ASUS TUF Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB | G.Skill 64GB Trident Z Neo DDR5 6000mHz | Quest Pro
Matrix: @seven10:matrix.jointspecialforces.org

For those people using reprojection, specifically those who have suffered from the performance tanking to 15fps.

Try enabling HAGS and see if it still tanks, please report back either way.

Last night I was trying out the Street Sweeper Tango mission (urban helo over Beirut) and it was instant and constant performance tank to 15fps (24ms appGPU so should be comfortably reprojected to 30Hz).

Just re-enabled HAGS and it's 100% locked to 30Hz without any drops at all 🙂

• Thanks 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

On 8/12/2022 at 11:09 PM, Roller25 said:

I'm also a 6800xt

That driver seems to have fixed the issue for now. I'm not getting the headset blackout anymore when opening the tools menu.

Current system: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | ASUS TUF Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB | G.Skill 64GB Trident Z Neo DDR5 6000mHz | Quest Pro
Matrix: @seven10:matrix.jointspecialforces.org

• 3 weeks later...
  • edmuss changed the title to Open Composite & OpenXR Toolkit Tuning Guide (updated 08/09/22)
  • 1 month later...

I tried OpenXR, and everything works in DCS except horizontal offset for foveated rendering.

As with canted displays (Pimax) the foveated is in wrong spot.

I remmember similar problem with steamvr, and fholgers openvr_fsr/perfkit in DCS and IL2 - unfortunately that issue was not possible to solve there. But somehow I expected it solved in OpenXR.

Is it same (not working horizontal offset) for you?

I suspect that this one would be best answered by @mbucchia 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

• edmuss changed the title to Open Composite & OpenXR Toolkit Tuning Guide (updated 09/10/22)

I can report that I tested DCS with OpenXR using the toolkit and the openxr_api.dll (or whatever the name is) copied to the correct DCS installation path.  System is a 11700k/3080ti/64gb/Reverb G1 and the latest update of the DCS open beta, nvidea 517.48 (the latest) drivers and a completely updated win10 system. 

I have more testing to do to see if I will stay with it or go back.  So far, so good. 

Posting to add to the "user list", if you will. 

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

13 hours ago, Brzi_Joe said:

I tried OpenXR, and everything works in DCS except horizontal offset for foveated rendering.

As with canted displays (Pimax) the foveated is in wrong spot.

I remmember similar problem with steamvr, and fholgers openvr_fsr/perfkit in DCS and IL2 - unfortunately that issue was not possible to solve there. But somehow I expected it solved in OpenXR.

Is it same (not working horizontal offset) for you?

Horizontal offset cannot be supported without the game providing additional information about left/right view rendering. The effort required on my end to support it without this information is phenomenal.

This isn't an OpenXR thing: the way FFR is implemented is 100% unrelated to OpenXR. The issue you have here is exactly the same issue that vrperfkit has.

There is a thread here where all that's needed from DCS is outlined (and yes it would take them literally MINUTES to do it, while without this information it would take me WEEKS or MONTHS), however the developer has ignored this request since April:

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/299598-trying-to-connect-the-individuals-that-made-the-performance-enhancement-in-vr-to-the-dcs-devs/

Edited by mbucchia
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

• 4 weeks later...

Should do, I believe you'll need to force steamvr mode otherwise DCS will start with the oculus runtimes and open composite won't be able to hook into the compositor.

How much performance benefit you'll see I don't know as I think the oculus runtimes are faster than the WMR4SVR/steamvr and DCS supports them directly. You'll have access to the openxr toolkit though which gives a whole host of enhancement options in one place.

I'm late to using open composite for DCS. Use G2 VR and my 9700K rig with a 3080ti.  It's been working great with 45fps almost 100% of the time but with one anomaly:  The image of planes flying by at any speed above about 100 knots, (Including my own plane fly-by using F3) are all stuttery even though the background views of terrain or on the carrier deck are butter smooth.   Any suggestions on how to correct this? Thanks! 

If you're running 45fps locked with no reprojection then you will always get ghosting, the only way to get it perfectly smooth is get the FPS above refresh rate 🙂

11 hours ago, Antibak said:

I'm late to using open composite for DCS. Use G2 VR and my 9700K rig with a 3080ti.  It's been working great with 45fps almost 100% of the time but with one anomaly:  The image of planes flying by at any speed above about 100 knots, (Including my own plane fly-by using F3) are all stuttery even though the background views of terrain or on the carrier deck are butter smooth.   Any suggestions on how to correct this? Thanks! 

You've got higher profile than me. I'm 2080S on HP Reverb (G1) and I keep looking out the side of my helicopter at the ground amazed by how smooth it is these days with OpenXR. (Mind you, I'm still on 2.7 - I have no idea if this has changed with 2.8 yet - I'm reading all sorts of performance issues with high end users on 2.8). 

My FPS normally reads at 30fps, but I can get 45fps on 'instant action' in the Huey. Motion reprojection is ON. Shadows off. GPU is not at it's limit (I'm normally CPU bottlenecked). 

I have no idea what the difference is between what you're running and what I'm running - but I would think you should be able to get it smoother with your advanced rig. 

Maybe it's because my helo is doing just under 100kts, although I could have sworn I was going a bit faster than 100.

Unfortunately, I do not have any improvements. If the app_GPU number I see in the display from the OXR Toolkit is the frametime, it's always in the 20s-30s ms. Even with terrain shadows off and low shadows settings. Although I use my modified shadows.lua with overall low shadows, but with ultra in-cockpit shadows, it didn't make a difference. My frametimes were high. Flying the Apache low level in Syria was my test case. I thought lowering Visible Range to Medium would help much, but no noticeable difference. I definitely need MSAA 2x. Without it the shimmering is unbearable for me. I might just go back to SVR.

Screen_221108_125131.jpg

Edited by pimp

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

4 ore fa, Antibak ha scritto:

Same problem here, I have read somewhere on the forum that this ghosting problem have no solution, we have just to wait for some solution.... 

1 hour ago, pimp said:

Unfortunately, I do not have any improvements. If the app_GPU number I see in the display from the OXR Toolkit is the frametime, it's always in the 20s-30s ms. Even with terrain shadows off and low shadows settings. Although I use my modified shadows.lua with overall low shadows, but with ultra in-cockpit shadows, it didn't make a difference. My frametimes were high. Flying the Apache low level in Syria was my test case. I thought lowering Visible Range to Medium would help much, but no noticeable difference. I definitely need MSAA 2x. Without it the shimmering is unbearable for me. I might just go back to SVR.

Screen_221108_125131.jpg

I would anticipate your appGPU to be in the teens with your hardware and settings, although I have read that switching to medium textures on the Apache makes a big difference.

What resolution are you running at?

4 minutes ago, edmuss said:

I would anticipate your appGPU to be in the teens with your hardware and settings, although I have read that switching to medium textures on the Apache makes a big difference.

What resolution are you running at?

My HP Reverb G1: 150% 2696 x 2644. I haven't tried lower it yet tho. I haven't tested my G2 yet either. Mainly because I don't use it.

Edited by pimp

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Try dropping it down to the native 2160 of the reverb, I run my G2 at 75-80% (2600) to keep the appGPU around 13ms. I don't have the apache to compare though I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, edmuss said:

Try dropping it down to the native 2160 of the reverb, I run my G2 at 75-80% (2600) to keep the appGPU around 13ms. I don't have the apache to compare though I'm afraid.

Do you set the resolution with OXR toolkit?

I do 🙂

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, tomeye said:

If I understand your post correctly you set the resolution to 2600 but the native resolution of G2 is 2160. How can this be 75-80%? I am sure I am missing something

The display resolution of the panels is 2160 but to render at 100% (accounting for distortion caused by lenses) it needs to render at 3160 wide or there about.  Don't ask me why HP decided to completely confuse people 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1