OpenXR Toolkit Tuning Guide (updated 21/02/23)

edmuss

With regards to upscaling, am I right in thinking if it’s set at 80%, does it reduce the imagine to 80% of the original resolution and then upscale it back to 100%?  

i9 12900KS  |  3090ti 24GB  |  64GB 5200Mhz DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum

GS-4 Seat  |  NLM V3  |  VPC MongoosT-50M2 Base  |  Warthog Throttle + stick  |  MFG Crosswind  |  Reverb G1

That's correct 🙂

The image quality loss is almost unnoticeable at 80% but the additional shimmer is much more noticeable in areas will lots of straight edges like cities on Syria.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

RE motion reprojection

Have come to the conclusion that "Auto" has a fine placebo effect with virtually no cost (my favorite kind of placebo; sadly, one hard to come by).  Am considerably less sanguine about "always on."  

Did testing yesterday on NTTR and Marianas, I guess the latter isn't really a fair test.  Even in NTTR it doesn't seem to be doing anything to reduce judder on the 3-9 line.  

If I turn shadows on, I'm in the 30's low over the city sometimes.   Suspect I'm jumping back and forth between 30 and 45 most of the time, which doesn't exactly smooth things out.

If I turn shadows off, I'm typically 55-62fps and frankly that looks as good to me as 45fps with repro on.  

Not sure it's worth further messing-with until the algo is updated... thoughts?  

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Auto reprojection in OXRDT does not reproject in DCS, drop below your personal threshold and you will see stutter, stay above your personal threshold and you will not see stutter.

What are you defining as judder?

To me judder would be the stuttering of the ground on 3-9 when holding a steady bank which should not happen under any circumstances when reprojection is enabled and active.  I would suspect that something isn't right with your installation.  With shadows on high, textures on high and resolution at 100% I can fly 500ft over Beirut and reproject perfectly smoothly at 30fps.

Reprojection artifacts would be warping of edges (wings, pitot tubes and missiles are key culprits) whilst looking 3-9 and switching bank angle quickly, these exist in SVR as well and is an unavoidable consequence of the software guessing what the next frame will look like.  The current OX_ACC implementation of reprojection in DCS specifically doesn't play as nicely with fast moving shadows/edges as SVR but that should hopefully be sorted in a future release.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Ah.  GPU was out of tune.  Adrenaline has a tendency to do that sometimes.  Now it's doing something.  Thanks

Still think I get better results locking it in OXRTK.  Maybe.  Kinda surprised locking it at 30 really doesn't look half bad.  

Happened to run my "shimmering" track on caucasus for this test.  You know shimmering is substantially better in OXR for some reason.  Ground targets are much better defined.   Substantially better and I'm running no AA.  

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Just now, DeltaMike said:

Ah.  GPU was out of tune.  Adrenaline has a tendency to do that sometimes.  Now it's doing something.  Thanks

Still think I get better results locking it in OXRTK.  Maybe.  Kinda surprised locking it at 30 really doesn't look half bad.  

Happened to run my "shimmering" track on caucasus for this test.  You know shimmering is substantially better in OXR for some reason.  Ground targets are much better defined.   Substantially better and I'm running no AA.  

Ah, now locking the repojection is not the same as auto; that naming convention has caused all sorts of confusion because it's completely different to how WMR4SVR is set up.

OXR MR always on is the same as WMR4SVR auto.
OXR MR locked (45hz) is the same as WMR4SVR always on.

The switch to OXR and it's reduction in shimmer is why I've moved away from upscaling.  Previously with vrperkit I was running SVR150% with 0.75 FSR renderscale, now with the clarity given by OXR and the introduction of the upscaling shimmer is much more jarring to me and I'd rather run the lower resolution (which happily aliases less than SVR) and keep the image quality and performance 🙂

Yeah so in OpenXR Tools for WMR I set motion reprojection "always on" and have been messing around with OpenXR Toolkit Companion App I've been trying "unlocked" vs locking at 45 or 30.  Nothing to scream about but it's not as horrible as I thought.  

Looking at my frame rates, when I'm on Caucasus, where I know I can maintain >50fps all the time, when I lock it at 45 or 30 that's the FPS I show regardless of which counter I'm using iirc. (Today was using the DCS counter).   When I set OXRTK to "unlocked," I keep getting odd numbers.  28, etc.  Which suggests to me it's flipping around between 22.5 and 45.  Which can't be helping.  

Interesting and all but still leaning toward just turning it off.  Needs to be put back in the oven for a little while imo.  

RE shimmering, it's still there somewhat, but ground targets are an order of magnitude more stable and easier to identify.  You know how I am about spotting my targets.  (Nice also when things like buildings and bridges are sitting still instead of doing the worm dance.)   The remaining shimmering I see looking out over a city, I just pretend it's a hot day and roll with it.  

Also I'm digging the color and contrast adjustments.  Between that, and the reduction in shimmering, I don't miss ReShade.  

I sympathize with people who say, "I just wanna run DCS without any mods or hacks" but the thing is, WMR4SVR is kind of a hack. Installing OpenXR isn't any harder or any more steps.  

• Like 1

You can tune your GPU to attempt to hold it into a specific refresh bracket.

Simplifying slightly.....

Using the OXRDT performance metrics, the postGPU number is your GPU overhead required to calculate the reprojection, add this to your appGPU time and that's your overall GPU frametime.  Note that currently if you have MR turned off then the postGPU should read the same as your appGPU, this is a known bug and should eventually be squashed.

As a worked example, on Caucasus I get 15ms appGPU frametime (66fps), because I am below refresh rate the MR is active and giving me a 7ms postGPU frametime, therefore my total GPU frametime would be in the region of 22ms which is actually right on the cusp of the 45Hz bracket, I only need to gain 0.5-1ms rendertime somewhere and it's suddenly dropped to 30Hz reprojection.

The MR overhead requirement might get better as the code is matured but the above might explain why your 66fps is being reprojected down to 30fps.  I don't know if the MR overhead is affected by GPU or CPU speed.

With the above in mind, I am currently running 60Hz with MR disabled and because I can generally beat 60hz refresh rate it is super smooth, perfect stable image quality.

Edited by edmuss

21 hours ago, edmuss said:

That's correct 🙂

The image quality loss is almost unnoticeable at 80% but the additional shimmer is much more noticeable in areas will lots of straight edges like cities on Syria.

Thanks for that 👍

i9 12900KS  |  3090ti 24GB  |  64GB 5200Mhz DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum

GS-4 Seat  |  NLM V3  |  VPC MongoosT-50M2 Base  |  Warthog Throttle + stick  |  MFG Crosswind  |  Reverb G1

Updated the first post with information on the outstanding reprojection issues within DCS.

21 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Updated the first post with information on the outstanding reprojection issues within DCS.

There is approximately 5fps worth of overhead required to keep a specific bracket active, therefore if you want to keep in the 45fps reprojection bracket then you will need to achieve a minimum of 50fps to do so. Your GPU frametime will be reading at <20ms (>50fps) but fps will be locked to 45fps (24ms).

edit 04/04/22: Regarding reprojection again

Whilst an issue with the OXR reprojection within DCS has been identified, the fix, if indeed possible, is not necessarily simple to implement and is looking to take some considerable developer time.

As such, the ETA for the fix will be two weeks (DCS time)....

Unless I'm just doing it wrong, I still prefer (visually) running MR always. I don't really see that much artifacting. Running high/high in DCS, most of the sliders all the way to the right, my choice of 2 or 4x MSAA, though 2x seems to be plenty. I like to use FA-18/Persian Gulf/ Ready on The Ramp to gauge MSAA improvement. And by switching to the Stores page on the MFD, I can now easily tell an 8 from a 0.

I was happy with using Radeon Chill to lock frame, but the MR is even better. Just as smooth as what I saw in SVR, no more jelly effect than SVR, but really no comparison in clarity, OpenXR is the hands down winner.

Only other mod I run is Simplex.

• Like 3

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

By and large for jets the MR works just fine, but helo rotors and props cause all sorts of jiggles. You're right though, cranking the settings and resolution whilst retaining smoothness at 30fps is great 🙂

6 minutes ago, edmuss said:

By and large for jets the MR works just fine, but helo rotors and props cause all sorts of jiggles. You're right though, cranking the settings and resolution whilst retaining smoothness at 30fps is great 🙂

Someone with some lua knowledge would be hero of the year if they could convert the UH-1 VR friendly prop mod to work for the Apache.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3310696/

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

I thought that @lefuneste01had worked out a rotor replacement as part of his mods suite that he has also updated to work with OXR?

32 minutes ago, edmuss said:

I thought that @lefuneste01had worked out a rotor replacement as part of his mods suite that he has also updated to work with OXR?

He did post something up, I and some others tried.  It didn't work (for me at least).  😞

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

18 minutes ago, javelina1 said:

He did post something up, I and some others tried.  It didn't work (for me at least).  😞

same

no workie for me

--Arthur C Clark

I have all of this set up and working, however after tweaking the settings several times, I'm no longer seeing the frame rate "lock" to 45,30,22 etc... it's just floating.  It was working before, and I can still get the menu in game.  (MR set to unlocked, always on).. any idea what would make the frame rate float up and down without locking in now?

Edited by j9murphy

4 hours ago, edmuss said:

Again, all my experiences of this were in jets specifically the F-18

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

@edmussso i have "solved" my problem ... it is Kegetys shaders specifically, not simplex ... that seems to cause the considerable sidewinder sex toy action 

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

No shaders == No Albedo cockpit SS though 😬

Edited by zildac

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

2 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

@edmussso i have "solved" my problem ... it is Kegetys shaders specifically, not simplex ... that seems to cause the considerable sidewinder sex toy action 

Interesting, presume you still get jelly eels with rotor blades and their shadows?

15 minutes ago, zildac said:

No shaders == No Albedo cockpit SS though 😬

To be fair, with OC_ACC I can read all of the cockpit text, say back in my chair at 75% resolution. I think it's finally gotten to the point where the VR shader mods are largely redundant now.

To be fair, with OC_ACC I can read all of the cockpit text, say back in my chair at 75% resolution. I think it's finally gotten to the point where the VR shader mods are largely redundant now.
I can read the dials and text fine, it's the damn shimmer. Very noticeable difference. Hornet ready on the ramp Caucasus. Look down where the gear indicator lights are. Night and day without/with albedo at 8x

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Actually I have less shimmer, everywhere, including in cockpit.

Re the jelly eels, I would have to check, I rarely fly warbirds or helos

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, zildac said:
2 hours ago, edmuss said:

I can read the dials and text fine, it's the damn shimmer. Very noticeable difference. Hornet ready on the ramp Caucasus. Look down where the gear indicator lights are. Night and day without/with albedo at 8x

If you're using upscaling then it adds (for me personally) loads of noticable crawling ants (shimmer).  I think these shimmers were also present in vrperfkit and the like but because of the muted, slighty fuzzy nature of the SVR render image it wasn't half as noticeable as compared to the exceptionally clean image generated by OC_ACC.  For me, reducing the render resolution in OXRDT doesn't actually introduce anywhere near as much aliasing (shimmer) as doing so in SVR.  Then as a function of the fuzzy SVR image, people want it sharper so it gets sharpened which gives more shimmer still!

I think what I'm trying to say is that the artwork that ED has created is terrific and it's such a shame that it's been masked by SVR for all this time.  I truely believe that what we're seeing with OC_ACC is so very close to pancake (visual resolution when compared to a 4k monitor aside) and is what ED are wanting us to see; perhaps VR will soon stop being the uglier, slower side of DCS!

7 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

Actually I have less shimmer, everywhere, including in cockpit.

Re the jelly eels, I would have to check, I rarely fly warbirds or helos

Easy enough to test with the PF51T 🙂

5 minutes ago, edmuss said:

If you're using upscaling then it adds (for me personally) loads of noticable crawling ants (shimmer).  I think these shimmers were also present in vrperfkit and the like but because of the muted, slighty fuzzy nature of the SVR render image it wasn't half as noticeable as compared to the exceptionally clean image generated by OC_ACC.  For me, reducing the render resolution in OXRDT doesn't actually introduce anywhere near as much aliasing (shimmer) as doing so in SVR.  Then as a function of the fuzzy SVR image, people want it sharper so it gets sharpened which gives more shimmer still!

I think what I'm trying to say is that the artwork that ED has created is terrific and it's such a shame that it's been masked by SVR for all this time.  I truely believe that what we're seeing with OC_ACC is so very close to pancake (visual resolution when compared to a 4k monitor aside) and is what ED are wanting us to see; perhaps VR will soon stop being the uglier, slower side of DCS!

Easy enough to test with the PF51T 🙂

I will give it a go, i have warbirds & helos, i just fly jets a lot more 🙂 I have also switched off upscaling, so running at 100% 

• Like 1