Looking for Auto-Hover Advice

NuclearWinter

Hello all, aside from enjoying some LB2 back in the day I'm a complete beginner when it comes to rotor sims and am flying with full realism settings on.

I'm having trouble with getting into a hover consistently and started off by following this advice from the FAQ:

Q: What’s the easiest way to initiate a hover?

A: Although there are many different methods to do this, one of the most simple is to zero-out collective and pitch up to around +15 degrees and set trim. Then use the collective to maintain your desired altitude. Once your speed falls to around 10 kph, press the auto-hover button and set trim again when the nose falls to the horizon. To adjust your hover position, move the controls smoothly and re-trim to set the FCS to maintain the new position. Do not resume normal flight while in auto-hover.

It seems that sometimes I can start up a mission and have no problems transitioning from flight to hover by smoothly dropping collective to zero, pitching up to around +15 and trimming, then increasing collective as necessary to maintain alltitude. Once speed gets to below 20kph I can activate auto-hover and all is right with world. I was doing this earlier perfectly almost every time, but...

Other times I'll start up a mission to practice and find it much more of a struggle. Typically what happens in these cases is that as soon as I zero collective and pitch up, I lose altitude so fast that I get trapped in a vortex ring before I can do anything to prevent it (I can escape from the vortex if high enough, but at low altitudes it ends very badly).

So what I've been doing now is pitching up first, trimming and then reducing collective a much smaller amount (not zeroing it); as long as I'm ready to adjust collective if altitude starts to drop then I can slow down enough to activate auto hover. However I tend to climb a lot this way as I don't lower collective so much. Or sometimes even my speed will drop only as far as around 40 and then start increasing again as I realise that I'm now flying backwards! I'm unsure why I sometimes have no trouble, and other times it's a struggle. I'm thinking that it could be wind related though.

Ok, I'm not sure if any of that makes much sense, but I'm mostly wondering what techniques or differing methods people are using to hover? Any tips to share?

first thing you need to do to go into a hover is get your speed down slow enough (nose up) then make sure your altitude is stabilized ( you are neither sinking nor ascending ) trim it up, and you should be good, if shes giving you hard time engage auto throttle.

practice makes perfect.

Dont let the smell get to ya...............

Your not alone! I have read the FAQ and I found another thread on this subject here but I still have problems. I dont typically have difficulty getting into hover mode itself, the problem I always have is that when I do, I usually find myself in some sort of slow drift, sideways, backwards or whatever, but never a steady hold. It seems so time consumming and comprehensive, and thats without any combat action etc. I have just been going into instant action and as soon as I start, I turn away from the objectives just so Im not bothers by gunfire or missles. Im at a loss myself. Good luck, If I find a certain cure , I will post.

Edited by Fakum

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Your not alone! I have read the FAQ and I found another thread on this subject here but I still have problems. I dont typically have difficulty getting into hover mode itself, the problem I always have is that when I do, I usually find myself in some sort of slow drift, sideways, backwards or whatever, but never a steady hold. It seems so time consumming and comprehensive, and thats without any combat action etc. I have just been going into instant action and as soon as I start, I turn away from the objectives just so Im not bothers by gunfire or missles. Im at a loss myself. Good luck, If I find a certain cure , I will post.

I don't think there's a particular "cure" for this. It's just a matter of practice. The sideways drift is probably due to your trim configuration. Remember that the AP only has 20% authority at most, so it's important that you're trimmed for a stable hover before engaging autohover.

I know I always steady the VVI, but that doesnt eliminate the drifting , for me anyway?

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Hmm, I thought your throttle should always be set to auto except when starting up or in case of engine failure.

oops im a dumb ass, i meant auto hover.

I use auto throttle alot in lock on. :) sorry for the confusion.

Edited by deadsmell

Dont let the smell get to ya...............

I don't think there's a particular "cure" for this. It's just a matter of practice. The sideways drift is probably due to your trim configuration. Remember that the AP only has 20% authority at most, so it's important that you're trimmed for a stable hover before engaging autohover.

I wont disagree with that, my only issue with that is the time frame it takes to steady everything and tweeking the trim just before you engage Hover. It might only be 30 to 40 seconds of work, but thats a life time when your time needs to be spent doing other things like working the weapons systems etc.

Hovering a helicopter by hand is one of the most difficult things to do in reality as well. You shouldn't expect it to be easy. That's why there is auto-hover. Even auto-hover isn't magic however and you have to first get the chopper stabilized by hand. Once there, you may not even need auto-hover. A well trimmed hover will usually suffice for combat employment.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

I wont disagree with that, my only issue with that is the time frame it takes to steady everything and tweeking the trim just before you engage Hover. It might only be 30 to 40 seconds of work, but thats a life time when your time needs to be spent doing other things like working the weapons systems etc.

And that's exactly where the practice comes in. Shorten down that 30 seconds to ten or less, and then things will really start getting exciting :D

Often times I find auto-hover does nothing for me. In fact, it seems like the majority of times I stabilize the helo and hit LALT + T I get no help at all, aside from a circle in the HUD. lol. I have all my AP channels lit, and I've tried using BARO and RALT hover modes, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

"A pilot lives in a world of perfection, or not at all." -Richard S. Drury

http://www.virtualblueangels.net

Make shure the flight director is off when hovering.

Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 @ 3.4 Ghz | 12 GB RAM (DDR3-1600) | Nvidia Geforce GTX660 Ti/2GB (Driver Ver. 381.65 ) | ASUS P8Z77-V LE Plus | SB Audigy 2 ZS (kxProject 3552) | Samsung SSD 830 Series (Sys: 64GB, DCS+other: 128GB) | Saitek X52 Pro + TM MFDs | TIR4: Pro (TIR 5.4.1.26786 Software) | Windows 10 Pro (x64, non Anniversary)

Thanks, I will try that

My problem is with the trim: I pull the thing to a hover, decrease the velocity to say 10 kmh, then press alt-t and it kinda enters into a hover. However, when I try to trim the thing to make it stay in the over without any fwd speed, I loose the hover and the nose drops down.

I guess I am having some hard times with the trim function. I press and hold the T key and put the chopper in a hover. Then when I release T key, the nose drops instantly and the joystick centers. What does the trim button do exactly? It has no help for me in the hover?

I don't find holding the trim key then releasing it at the attitude you want then releasing all the controls works for me, instead of holding the trim buttom I just tap it once when I reach the correct attitude then let go of the cyclic and rudder controls, it works every time for me, i'm using a ch fighter stick, saitek rudder pedals and x52 throttle btw.

As for auto hover I dont use it anymore, I seem to get it prefectly stable with the trim controls.

Some recommendations:

Build a simple mission with the ship on the runway or on the pad (use LWIN+Home for fast start).

1. Practive hovering from from the ground WITHOUT Auto-hover. Spend some time doing this.

2. Hit LCTRL+Enter to bring up the Axis display tool. Very handy.

3. Dont forget the rudder when trimming, it will be trimmed when you think its centered, gets me everytime. CTRL+T to reset.

4. Dont forget that Auto pilot only has 20% authority, and too much trim will pop back.

5. Map your autopilot modes to simpler keys. I use P(pitch) B(bank), H(heading), and Altitdude(A). and F(Flight director) Auto hover on Stick (like Cyclic). Make it easy.

6. If you are drifting in Auto Hover either you are not trimmed or one of your modes is off. Check them and re-trim, use cyclic to fine tune, but very small input.

7. When hovering with Heading control off ship will rotate to the right naturally.

8. USE ALT HOLD Mode, adjust collective using collective brake (F or preferably HOTAS).

9. Dont forget to ensure Route follow is off and dont forget about Decent mode on the collective, works great.

You should always perform a hover check just after take off so practive on the airfield, and practice, practice, practice.

Additionally, when you build that mission to practice hover, reduce fuel load and leave the stows empty, makes a bit of difference but not huge.

Edited by mjolner

Thanks for the response all. I've got much better at hovering since I started being less aggressive with the cyclic when pitching up (around +10 degrees depending on speed) and keeping my focus on the VVI a lot more.

Just went through Para_Bellum's tutorial mission (found on SimHQ), followed the waypoints while practicing low altitude flight and hovering, destroyed a bunch of stationary targets and successfully landed back at the airfield - I love this sim :)

You are mentioning zeroing your collective, If you do this, then yes you will get into a vortex ring.

Instead do like the post are mentioning and maintain a zero VVI, you will be constantly using collective to accomplish this. I find if I trim below 12 Klicks then hit auto hover the system works well.

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

You are mentioning zeroing your collective, If you do this, then yes you will get into a vortex ring.

Instead do like the post are mentioning and maintain a zero VVI, you will be constantly using collective to accomplish this. I find if I trim below 12 Klicks then hit auto hover the system works well.

Thanks, that's how I'm doing it now (maintaining VVI instead of zeroing collective) and as mentioned in my last post I am having a much better time now. Hovering no longer seems to be a problem for me :thumbup:

I was originally zeroing collective because that's what the FAQ on this forum suggests.

Edited by NuclearWinter

What is your throttle set at?