[CHK] LCOS gunsight solution is completely wrong. Behaves like SS/SSLC.

J20Stronk

I have conducted a small series of tests in an attempt to figure out why the JF-17's gunsight is not as responsive as other fighters with LCOS solutions (F-14, F-15, MiG29/Su27, etc.) and I think I may have found the culprit.

As it turns out, the Thunder's LCOS gunsight is actually the SS/SSLC solution, but rendered as if it were LCOS (No "snake" trail, but it follows the SS-calculated path).

In order to demonstrate what I mean, take a look at these tracks I have provided of various modules' LCOS gunsights tracking a target as it maneuvers. Notice how when the target makes a turn, the correct LCOS sights calculate the target's movement and correctly adjust themselves to provide an accurate firing solution. Meanwhile the Thunder's LCOS, SS and SSLC gunsights, as well as the M-2000's own SSLC gunsight do not react to the target's movements. This is correct for SS/SSLCs on both planes, but not for the LCOS on the JF-17.

I believe this is the cause for the Thunder's delayed and sluggish gunsight and bad BFM gun accuracy, apart from the poor mounting angle on the gun itself.

JFGunBugF14.trk JFGunBugF15.trk JFGunBugF16.trk JFGunBugF18.trk JFGunBugJFLCOS.trk JFGunBugJFSSLCNoTurn.trk JFGunBugJFSSLCTurn.trk JFGunBugM2KNoTurn.trk JFGunBugM2KTurn.trk JFGunBugMiG.trk

Edited by uboats
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, J20Stronk said:

I have conducted a small series of tests in an attempt to figure out why the JF-17's gunsight is not as responsive as other fighters with LCOS solutions (F-14, F-15, MiG29/Su27, etc.) and I think I may have found the culprit.

As it turns out, the Thunder's LCOS gunsight is actually the SS/SSLC solution, but rendered as if it were LCOS (No "snake" trail, but it follows the SS-calculated path).

In order to demonstrate what I mean, take a look at these tracks I have provided of various modules' LCOS gunsights tracking a target as it maneuvers. Notice how when the target makes a turn, the correct LCOS sights calculate the target's movement and correctly adjust themselves to provide an accurate firing solution. Meanwhile the Thunder's LCOS, SS and SSLC gunsights, as well as the M-2000's own SSLC gunsight do not react to the target's movements. This is correct for SS/SSLCs on both planes, but not for the LCOS on the JF-17.

I believe this is the cause for the Thunder's delayed and sluggish gunsight and bad BFM gun accuracy, apart from the poor mounting angle on the gun itself.

JFGunBugF14.trk 39.64 kB · 2 downloads JFGunBugF15.trk 36.05 kB · 2 downloads JFGunBugF16.trk 37.9 kB · 3 downloads JFGunBugF18.trk 36.63 kB · 2 downloads JFGunBugJFLCOS.trk 41.85 kB · 3 downloads JFGunBugJFSSLCNoTurn.trk 40.68 kB · 3 downloads JFGunBugJFSSLCTurn.trk 49.1 kB · 3 downloads JFGunBugM2KNoTurn.trk 37.38 kB · 2 downloads JFGunBugM2KTurn.trk 41.63 kB · 2 downloads JFGunBugMiG.trk 36.09 kB · 2 downloads

But does the Mirage have LCOS and do the same thing?

I think what you might be missing is that it’s supposed to be a gyro sight like the Mirage 2000. It only accounts for range, and in order to calculate lead you have to be both behind the target and matching their G load almost exactly.

Its not like F-15, F-18, F-16, MiG-29/Flanker where it is predictive and takes into account target motion, direction of flying, and can compute lead at any aspect and difference of G load. 

In order for that we would need the EEGS software suite. If LCOS is suppossed to work differently then only Deka/Chengdu would know, but AFAIK and from everything I’ve seen there are supposed to work identically between LCOS/SS/SSLC. That The gun sight software was just such a low priority that they didn’t bother to have more then basic gyro gunsight logic for many years

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

• uboats changed the title to [WIP] LCOS gunsight solution is completely wrong. Behaves like SS/SSLC.
  • uboats changed the title to [CHK] LCOS gunsight solution is completely wrong. Behaves like SS/SSLC.