George AI CPG Target list color-based IFF and better description of targets

FalcoGer

There is already a second discussion on the subject here. I am posting here the same thing I said there.

yes I totally agree!

in the list should be instead of

AAA 1

tank 1

tank 2

tank 3

tank 4

tank 5

IFV 1

it would be better

AAA 1 (SA-8) -12km

Tank 1 (T72) -6km

Tank 2 (T80) -5km

Tank 3 (T72) -6km

Tank 4 (T90) -2km

Tank 5 (M1A1) -5km

IFV 1 (M2A1) -5km

it is perfectly sufficient if the distances are estimated at +- 1km from George. And only reflect the moment of target acquisition. But at least that's what a normal human CPG can do.

I made a military camp in the editor and then I wanted to destroy Scuds in it. Between all the other units like tanks, trucks, normal artillery and so on, it was extremely confusing for me to order George to fire on the primary target.

Edited by Dagobert666
  • Like 1

@Dagobert666
I like your suggestion…..offers the needed informations and is easy to read.

maybe adding heading information to the distance for better orientation.

Most important for me is the list is easy to use while offering the critical informations.

more complex lists via submenues etc. difficult in handling and use. Just keep it simple…….

Edited by corbu1

DCS MT 2.9.3.51704
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - FC3 - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO105 - CH-47F - AH-1G(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Afghanistan - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer)

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog(40cm Ext., Dampers) + Throttle, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

I completely agree, which is why I went looking for this topic in the forum. 

I have created a practice mission for the Apache and it includes several trucks, two groups of infantry - of six and three men respectively - and a group of tanks.

When telling George CPG to engage, the list presented to me shows the tanks first - even though they're a few km away - and then each of the individual soldiers, before the trucks. Now, it's true that the soldiers shoot at me, while the trucks don't, but this is only relevant if I'm engaging at close range.

So, it would be nice to have a bit more control, although of course that has to weighed against a more complex interface.

As a G2 user I also find that the placement of the  list - low to my left - is not great, particularly when I'm trying to maintain a hover (without recourse to active pause!) and really don't want to be looking down into the cockpit more than I have to.

Having said all of this,  I do find the system reasonably intuitive, and I'm enjoying using it.

And, there's also the argument that if the situation on the battlefield  in front of you is that complex you should really be in the front seat.

It would be much better if our AI CPG list can list out targets by their specific names such as BMP, T90, M1A1, etc.. because having the target list as TANK 1, TANK 2, IFV, etc really does not help in IFF especially when you have 1 enemy in a sea of friendlies like in the rotorheads server. 

…or at least have the list be specific when you are within a certain range because even when I see the target clearly is an M1A1 Abrams in MPD, George still tells me it's a TANK 😑

Edited by Picure
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Not only would this help with things like faction ID, but it would be very useful for missions where you need to destroy specific targets. Trying to figure out exactly what generic name the mission objective is can be really unintuitive. 

• Like 4

it would be better

AAA 1 (SA-8) -12km

Tank 1 (T72) -6km

Tank 2 (T80) -5km

Tank 3 (T72) -6km

Tank 4 (T90) -2km

Tank 5 (M1A1) -5km

IFV 1 (M2A2) -5km

Range just a rough estimate by George so +-999m

The color to see the faction affiliation. George should know his army's vehicles well, that's part of basic training XD

Edited by Dagobert666
  • Like 8

This is my biggest gripe with George and Petrovich. I get why they can't "magically" determine the coalition of a vehicle or soldier, but honestly the difference between a HUMVEE and a BTR-80 is pretty much a no brainer.

The use of the category instead of type is hilarious, considering, that a SAM 1, SAM 2, SAM 3, SAM 4, etc. leaves you guessing which is the radar, which are just launchers and ultimately it may be a bunch of MANPAD! 

This little change would be the most important fix to help the AI really support us in the cockpit.

A simple "BTR" instead of "APC", "T-72" instead of "Tank" or "Search Radar" instead of "SAM 3" is desperately needed. 

• Like 4

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

My last flight --

Hey G, look there mate, let me know what you get.

---------------------------

AAA

SAM LR

SAM LR
SAM LR

SAM SR

SAM MR 

TRUCK

OK G... Well, aim at anything and fire for effect mate. 

Seriously though, I really like the suggestion by OP, maybe @Dagobert666 is a bit too much, specifically the distance bit without ranging first in Apache, and Hind, well, we all know it's not "Gucci laser range finder" 🙂  

• Like 1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Perhaps a setting in the options if people want to know the exact type of a target?

An alternative could perhaps be that as you go through the target list that George points the laser at each target and it leaves it up to you to have the TADS video feed to recognize the exact type of enemy? 

13900@5.8Ghz, Asus TUF 4090 OC, 64GB@6400mhz DDR5, 4K, TrackIR 5, Tobii, Virpil CM2, CM3
F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | A-10C II | AV-8B | AH-64D |  MI-24P | MI-8 | BS 2 | UH-1H | Mosquito | BF 109 | Spitfire | P-47D | CA | SC | WWII AP

• ED Team
Just now, inexus said:

An alternative could perhaps be that as you go through the target list that George points the laser at each target and it leaves it up to you to have the TADS video feed to recognize the exact type of enemy? 

He already does this, but wont start lasing a target until you select one.

• Like 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Ah I didn't know that, thank you! I usually start asking George to find targets 10-15km out so I haven't noticed this. 

If that's the case I think it sounds like it works quite well as it would be humanly difficult to id targets that far away many times. For people who want it to be easier, as mentioned, perhaps a setting to switch it on/off. 

Edited by inexus

13900@5.8Ghz, Asus TUF 4090 OC, 64GB@6400mhz DDR5, 4K, TrackIR 5, Tobii, Virpil CM2, CM3
F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | A-10C II | AV-8B | AH-64D |  MI-24P | MI-8 | BS 2 | UH-1H | Mosquito | BF 109 | Spitfire | P-47D | CA | SC | WWII AP

4 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

That's true, though he doesn't zoom in as far when you haven't selected a target, which makes it more difficult to ID them yourself. 

If you play with labels on, you can follow the TADS aiming cross in your HDU and see what label it's pointed at in the outside world. That's been my workaround so far.

When I fly CPG in game I’m expected to iff a target, I’m not just calling out generic tank/armor/apc etc, and I can ID reasonably well at 10k.

George should do this. Perhaps add a simple logic that makes the target generic when it’s beyond like 12k, but properly ID’d under 12k.

Yeah after reading some more examples this really needs to be implemented, not simply a “nice to have 2 years from now” sort of thing

Edited by S. Low
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2022 at 6:33 AM, Raptor9 said:

I went back to check this and from what I can see, the view is perhaps in 'Normal' mode even though my MPD is in the 'Zoom' mode? As soon as you select a target I get a better zoomed in view of the enemy.

On 5/7/2022 at 4:44 PM, inexus said:

I went back to check this and from what I can see, the view is perhaps in 'Normal' mode even though my MPD is in the 'Zoom' mode? As soon as you select a target I get a better zoomed in view of the enemy.

The zoom options on the Pilot VID Page are independent of the TADS FOV setting. They just make the image bigger or smaller on the MPD to help the pilot see a bit better. They don't zoom the image even remotely as much as the different zoom functions the CPG has.

• 1 month later...

Coloured text to indicate friendly unit and enemy unit on George list would be nice. Would help when friendly and enemy units are in close proximity to chose the correct one since unit names on list are bland APC #, Tank #, and Infantry #. Blue and Red text would be nice for corresponding factions.

I feel the need The need for jet engines to create thrust in order to have differential pressure on the wings which achieves aerodynamics lift at high velocity Ooww!! :pilotfly:

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

• Raptor9 changed the title to George AI CPG Target list color-based IFF and better description of targets