Breaking blades...

uhoh7

My ground crew is all over me for destroying so many blades......

what movements are most likely to generate blades breaking?

E8600 Asus P5E Radeon 4870x2 Corsair 4gb Velociraptor 300gb Neopower 650 NZXT Tempest Vista64 Samsung 30" 2560x1600

I'm pretty sure blade pitch has a lot to do with it. If you are going pull some crazy maneuvers it's safe to lower the collective. I've noticed the most dangerous thing you can do is go left 45 degrees and then right 45 degrees and back left again 45 degrees very quickly. This is the easiest way to cut those blades off.

Turning right hard at high speed, or putting in a lot of right pedal at high speed.

Things to the right seem to break blades more than to left... My guess is that because of the coaxial design its the lower blade that flaps up on the right hand side, whereas the upper blade seems to flap on the left. When you turn to the right at speeds this seems to exaggerate the flapping and lets them hit rather catastrophically.

You can actually get away with losing a couple of blades I've found so far... Although this requires an iron stomach and some serious concentration (although I reckon pink squishy thing would long be dead from all the vibrations...)

I've found you can be quite aggressive going left, but like morsmortis says going from one to the other can cause upsets. The helicopter kind of acts like a pendulum under the rotors.

Rolls to the right can end in tears and also just throwing in full right pedal with oodles of collective and spinning off awkwardly airwolf style... After what seems like 15? 20? complete rotations I've found the blades have a little bit of a disagreement...

I'm sure some of the Beta Testers can fill on some other ways!

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

As mentioned - right turns at high speed, high-g pull ups, using a lot of collective, not heeding the overspeed and zebra warnings, flying high and fast and puttin in too much collective ...

You don't fly this thing like a LOMAC fighter. It's not meant to be thrown around or maneuvered violently - or it'll kill you!

Execute each maneuver with measure, deliberation and precision and you'll be fine. Fly it like a tie-fighter, reacting to everything instead of planning ahead, and you'll destroy your chopper ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

You don't fly this thing like a LOMAC fighter. It's not meant to be thrown around or maneuvered violently - or it'll kill you!

;)

hehe, well I guess that's what's nice about simulation: we can explore limits with worst case a mission restart.

great tips by the way, from everyone---on the right side, makes sense.

I been working a bit on my air to air with canon and have had a few......OK OK a large number....of blade mishaps.

Keep the advice coming on what CAN be done to get this thing turned around and on the six of another heli. Sounds like we can pull some Gs to the left anyway.

E8600 Asus P5E Radeon 4870x2 Corsair 4gb Velociraptor 300gb Neopower 650 NZXT Tempest Vista64 Samsung 30" 2560x1600

Also Low-G pushovers get really bad really fast.

I've have a few sayings regarding contol, "Helicopters don't like to do anything fast, except crash..."

and "Helicopters are like women, go slow and be gentle and you'll have a good ride."

Edited by Draco

here's what seems to be really deadly: about 250-270 slight arc to the right, then correction with roll back to left. You can be very gentle in this move and still rips the blades right off. Once in one arc or the other I find I can pull very hard, even at high speed.

I'm pretty sure blade pitch has a lot to do with it. If you are going pull some crazy maneuvers it's safe to lower the collective.

Is this true? Does reducing blade pitch lessen the likelihood of ripping the blades off while manuvering aggressively? Can the helicopter survive higher speeds with the collective bottomed?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Great minds think alike; idiots seldom differ.":pilotfly:

i5 3750K@4.3Ghz, MSI Z77A GD55, 8GB DDR3, Palit GTX 670, 24" Benq@1920*1080, X52 Pro, Win 7 64bit.

• ED Team

Perform controls very gently if the helicopter has significant angular velocities.

The maneuvers that seem to be crazy in the pillotage tracks one can perform if he follows this rule.

By the way, the +60 - minus 60 degrees banks was performed at 250 kph to evaluate the model in comparison to real Ka-50. No problem to do it.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me