Rockets are so hard to line up

Sirchuzzalot
Go to solution Solved by BIGNEWY,

I've been having similar issues, but from what can gather its all to do with your Nose to Tail Trim which differs from the direction the aircraft is flying. Prior to firing ensure the acceleration line from the centre cross is vertical, which also means you have to input on yaw, this generally relates to  the slip ball not within its brackets. What exacerbates the issue further is if you in the Pilot seat as the rocket bracket is directly related to the position of the Pilots IHADS cross and its position in relation to the nose to tail axis.

So if you get George to Select a target for you via the slave/unslave menu, do you set the CPG as the sight instead of TADS, so the Pilots rocket bracket relates to that and not the Pilots IHADS?

• Like 1

I have the same thought as you, if the driver's sight is set to PHG, I think giving a CCIP point will allow us to aim better. Because you're trying to get two things on target, one is helmet, one is helicopter.

But I think most of the failure to aim is because the helicopter is too close to the target and can't adjust the aircraft's pointing. So I think keeping distance is one of the main points of rocket attack.

At last, don't forget to try COOP mode

• Like 1

That video from Casmo sorted out all my issues with rockets - it really is secretly easy. Line up the I beam with the crosshairs and you're basically winning. I have more success with rockets in the Apache than any other helo module.

• Like 2

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

This is what long range rocket fire looks like using coop mode from CPG seat. Multicrew. I guess it’s technically a direct fire shot but this is weapons range practice and it’s the same method we’d use for indirect fire from behind trees. Laze and store, slave, coop, Match and shoot. 

Casmo did say somewhere that rockets are an area weapon so just get them close to the target.

Also I dunno if it’s correct behavior, but pilot has to either manually enter the range from CPG laser, or set rockets to auto in order to pick up the laser ranging 

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Would be great if rockets not only were an area weapon but also if they did area damage in DCS. You know, blow up sensors on tanks, pop tires, perforate fuel tanks, kill drivers... Anything with more armor than a infantry basically needs a direct hit for a kill. But they are really good against infantry.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sirchuzzalot said:

Is anyone else having as much trouble as me trying to get rockets on target. 

I've watched all the vids so understand how it's meant to work but I just find it so difficult. 

Miss the rockets out of the Hind or ka-50

Make sure your IHADSS is boresighted and range is set to Auto. Then you just keep staring with your LOS cross right into target and yaw the helicopter to line up the Rocket Steering Cursor with your LOS cross. Works every time.

I do this all the time in free flight. Pick up a road, crossroad or a building in the distance and aim for it.

Edited by PlainSight
  • Like 1
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think the problem is the aiming is very dependent on the head aiming system. If this is still troublesome, try co-op with George, except once he slaves to a target, have your head aligned perfectly with the centerline of the Apache, then freeze your Track IR if using such. That gets rid of an unintentional sway the Track IR is creating. Then align with the I beam by flying using cyclic and trim nose/tail and let ‘em rip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

vor 17 Minuten schrieb Sirchuzzalot:

Yeah I understand what I'm meant to be doing and how the system works. I just find it incredibly difficult compared to other choppers. 

I think most of the "complicated stuff" comes from the fact, that you can raise and lower the pods as needed. In other choppers,  where they are fixed , you can simply display the CCIP. But with the system of the Apache, you basically have a line of possible impact points that depend on the pod angle. To avoid fiddling around with the pod elevation yourself, you just tell the system the direction and distance of the target you want to hit and it does the pod elevation for you. In the end, all that is required is to bring the I-beam over the aiming cross. Not complicated at all. Only thing that makes it hard is that you need to focus on two things at once when using the HMD as sight: Keeping the cross on target and align the I-beam by steering the helicopter. But that just requires a bit of practice.

In the coop mode, it is for the pilot even easier than CCIP in other helos. You just need to correct direction until the I-beam gets over the cross. Since the CPG feeds direction and distance to the computer you can move your head without any effect onto the relation between target cross and I beam. The relation is only affected by the direction you are flying. This means, you don't even have to look onto the target. You can look anywhere, even in a totally different direction than your target. If you steer the helicopter and the I-beam aligns with the target cross, you can fire and will hit the correct area without ever looking at the target. How cool is that? 

The biggest mystery about the I-beam system is probably, that it seems to move around randomly, but once you know why it moves to which location, it isn't complicated at all. The quick start guide explains it very well. So I suggest anybody who does not understand it, to read the rocket employment section. Or if you can wait a few days: I am currently preparing a step-by-step video tutorial where you are not overwhelmed by everything happening at once. 😉

• 2 weeks later...
vor 20 Minuten schrieb Devastator:

in coop mode the rocket allignment cue should be alligned to TADS symbol or to pilots LOS cue?

In coop mode the TADS is designating the target. Think of the LOS cross of being your helicopter and the I-beam the target. So you need to turn the helicopter accordingly to move the cross over the I-beam. The nice thing in coop mode is, that it does not matter where you look, the relation between LOS cross and I-beam is only influenced by the helicopter movement and the target location. This means that you can look anywhere without seeing the target and all you need to do is to "fly the cross over the I". Then pull the trigger. If you are a multi-tasking genius, you can work on the MFDs while killing some stuff with rockets "on the fly" 😉

• Like 1

Rockets take a lot of practice!  I miss the HUD and CCIP from the Shark everytime I fly the Apache.  The hard thing is holding the target cross on the target while moving the helicopter to align the I beam.  Try putting the I beam on the target, then moving the aiming cross over the target to set the range. And practice practice practice.

• Like 2

System: Intel Core i9-9900KF @ 5 Ghz, Z-390 Gaming X, 64Gb DDR4-3200, EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3, Dedicated SSD, HP Reverb G2, Winwing Orion & F-16EX

DCS Modules: A-10C II,  A/V-8B NA, Bf-109 K4, P-51D, P-47D, F/A-18C, F-14 A/B, F-16 CM, F-86F, JF-17, KA-50 Black Shark 2, UH-1H, Mosquito, AH-64D Longbow 

Terrains & Tech:  Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Normandy, Syria, Nevada, The Channel, Combined Arms, WWII Assets, Supercarrier

I find it almost impossible to line up the I beam when hovering. The precision required for the position of the beam makes if very difficult to move the aircraft into the correct azimuth. Especially when using George. Difficult to make the required degree of accuracy.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

55 minutes ago, imacken said:

I find it almost impossible to line up the I beam when hovering. The precision required for the position of the beam makes if very difficult to move the aircraft into the correct azimuth. Especially when using George. Difficult to make the required degree of accuracy.

AFAIK rockets are not intended to be fired from a hovering position

Edited by Whisper

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

38 minutes ago, Whisper said:

I see you changed the wording, still, there are plenty of videos showing rockets being fired from hover.

• Thanks 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• ED Team
4 hours ago, Whisper said:

Indeed they were, as a method of "Aerial Artillery".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

I stand corrected, then. Thks 🙂

Edited by Whisper

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16