Rockets are so hard to line up

Sirchuzzalot
Go to solution Solved by BIGNEWY,

7 hours ago, imacken said:

I find it almost impossible to line up the I beam when hovering. The precision required for the position of the beam makes if very difficult to move the aircraft into the correct azimuth. Especially when using George. Difficult to make the required degree of accuracy.

I'm talking about firing them as a pilot.  I never ask George to fire rockets.

System: Intel Core i9-9900KF @ 5 Ghz, Z-390 Gaming X, 64Gb DDR4-3200, EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3, Dedicated SSD, HP Reverb G2, Winwing Orion & F-16EX

DCS Modules: A-10C II,  A/V-8B NA, Bf-109 K4, P-51D, P-47D, F/A-18C, F-14 A/B, F-16 CM, F-86F, JF-17, KA-50 Black Shark 2, UH-1H, Mosquito, AH-64D Longbow 

Terrains & Tech:  Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Normandy, Syria, Nevada, The Channel, Combined Arms, WWII Assets, Supercarrier

I've been perplexed that, when flying as CPG, I have George (in a hover) ALIGN the aircraft with TADS.  I get a PERFECTLY superimposed I-Beam on the LASED and RANGED TADS target..... and more often than not the rockets miss by quite a lot laterally and longitudinally. 

2 hours ago, Mad Dog 762 said:

I'm talking about firing them as a pilot.  I never ask George to fire rockets.

I was talking about George flying, not firing.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

29 minutes ago, imacken said:

I was talking about George flying, not firing.

yeah, that would be difficult too.  Best way is fly and shoot yourself.  Well, not shoot yourself, but fire the rockets yourself.  

• Like 1

System: Intel Core i9-9900KF @ 5 Ghz, Z-390 Gaming X, 64Gb DDR4-3200, EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3, Dedicated SSD, HP Reverb G2, Winwing Orion & F-16EX

DCS Modules: A-10C II,  A/V-8B NA, Bf-109 K4, P-51D, P-47D, F/A-18C, F-14 A/B, F-16 CM, F-86F, JF-17, KA-50 Black Shark 2, UH-1H, Mosquito, AH-64D Longbow 

Terrains & Tech:  Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Normandy, Syria, Nevada, The Channel, Combined Arms, WWII Assets, Supercarrier

13 hours ago, Floyd1212 said:

They implemented this fancy articulating mount for the pods to auto adjust for range, would it have killed them to give it 5 degrees of left/right articulation as well?  Just saying... 🙂 

Indeed. Was thinking though if that would cause some yaw or perhaps the rocket/hellfire back blast would get too close to the fuselage when articulating outwards. Pitching is probably ok. 

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

• 1 month later...

So I've watched both Cosmo and Wags videos on this and I have got the hang of firing using the P-HMD.  I still don't entirely understand COOP mode though.  Specifically, what am I supposed to align with the I-Beam when in COOP?  I would think it would be the TADS marker (dashed cross) but that seems to produce very poor results.  It seems to work better when I align the I-beam with the LOS cross (non-dashed) but that makes little sense since George is doing the designating in COOP and it shouldn't matter where I look. 

In COOP mode you steer the aircraft left or right to bring the I-beam in line with your LOS crosshair. In this mode, you aren’t designating where your intended target is with the LOS crosshair, so you could be looking down at your lap and still know when you are correctly aligned for the shot on the target that the CPG has designated. 

Thanks!  That does track with my experience but I'm still not sure I understand the logic.  When in COOP, I can still move my head around and it moves the LOS cursor.  If the target is fixed by the CPG, why does aligning the I-beam with the LOS crosshair (which can move anywhere!) produce a good targeting solution?  I'm not doubting it does, just not sure I understand the underlying logic. 

7 hours ago, San Patricio said:

Thanks!  That does track with my experience but I'm still not sure I understand the logic.  When in COOP, I can still move my head around and it moves the LOS cursor.  If the target is fixed by the CPG, why does aligning the I-beam with the LOS crosshair (which can move anywhere!) produce a good targeting solution?  I'm not doubting it does, just not sure I understand the underlying logic. 

You'll notice as you look around the symbology doesn't change in COOP. The LOS cross represents the aircraft which you need to move over the I-BEAM. Where you look is now irrelevant. If you look 90° left the distance between the IBEAM and the LOS won't change since all it is now telling you is how much to turn the aircraft to achieve a solution. It's totally uncoupled from you actual line of sight, helmet position and the real world you see with your eyes. It now purely a "turn left or right" indicator, but it just happens to be displayed on the HDU. For all it matters it could be on an MPD with a black background. Hope that helps.

Edited by Scaley

Ok, I understand, thanks.  So once you switch to COOP and the CPG designates a target, the LOS cross will always show the relative longitudinal distance between your aircraft and the steering cue/I-beam regardless of where you look.  Not the most intuitive GUI but I get it! 

Today I fired rockets from an extreme position; tail up 60º and drifting right. With targets right in front of me, aimpoint/beam slightly off, I saw rockets going straight 90º to the right of my orientation, as if they came from another gunship to my left. Was expecting to hit between the trucks, but in spite of beeing just 20 feet off the ground, rockets hit so far to the right, I could not even see impacts. The trucks survived, and I had to find new posistion and hit them with hellfire.

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

Sirch,

Patience...  Practice...

I have watched Casmo's video myself (several times) and it helped me allot.  Also, I have spent allot of time trying to get good at firing them. 

But...

The whole thing still drove me a bit crazy until I stopped focusing solely on the Rocket Steering Cursor for alignment.   Instead, I use the Head Tracker.   It doesn't move around, but indicates essentially the direction that the rockets are going to go with one part "helicopter weird flight characteristic offset" and two parts "Kentucky Windage".  Don't get me wrong, I still try to slide the Rocket Steering Cursor in to the right place where it needs to be after I have lined up with the Head Tracker.

Tracking with my head (TrackIR), using collective, cyclic and rudder felt like learning how to play a drum set.   Hands and feet all doing different movements going different directions while brain is going nuts.

So I don't do it that way...

Generally, much like using tracer fire to correct aim.  I fire a salvo and see where they hit.  I correct my aim and then fire another salvo, repeating until stuff blows up.  I  typically fire four to eight rockets at a time for good results.  Keep in mind, that you still need to adjust the range using the IHADSS LOS Reticle.  I find that holding the Reticle just under my target and allowing the forward movement of the helicopter to move the aiming point up to the correct spot to fire.  (Same mostly, as with the gun)

I think of the Rocket Steering Cursor as the icing on the cake.  Not the cake...

All the above goes out the window if a human CPG is present and is picking out targets for you.

IMO these rockets, I would guess, work really well in the real world but not so much in DCS, due to how splash damage works.  And the fact that real world Infrantry CAS is kind of hard to duplicate in DCS.

I have to admit, these things are really allot of fun!

Caldera

• Thanks 1