Question Regarding Switch Accessibility

Johnny Dioxin

Are there any or many switches etc located behind or to the rear side of the pilot or CPG?

I only fly in VR and have had to give up flying modules where I have to turn too much to see or operate controls due to my Ankylosing Spondylitis. It just isn't possible for me to do so. A couple of controls is not really a problem as I can assign them to HOTAS with modifiers specifically for out of reach things. Whole panels of controls/switches etc are just not viable. Even the stuff at the rear of side consoles can't be reached without physically getting up and turning my body, so I hope there aren't any in the Apache so I can buy it and keep myself busy with it.

Cheers.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I’ve not been in the cpg seat but from the pilots perspective everything is in front of you. At your 8 o’clock there are controls for internal and external lighting. Starting engines apu etc are at your 9 o’clock, so you should be able to manage the module without exacerbating your underlying ailment. I’m sure the CPG seat is the same. 

Edited by Rabies
  • Thanks 1

For the CPG it's even less than for the pilot. You only need one of the lighting brightness knobs on 8 o'clock, as Rabies mentioned. And you'll only need to turn that on for the boresight procedure during startup (same knob at the same place as the pilot), so during flight you'll only need what's in front of you. I don't do VR, but with track IR I'm just looking slightly left and down to see the knob, barely moving my head due to how I've set the track IR sensitivity. With VR it might be a bit different, but basically if you can see your left elbow while your arms are to your side, you can see the knob. You can see it in the cockpit this video https://youtu.be/9B2fhX4MfOE?t=65 (pilot's view, but it's the same for the cpg. The one that says "Primary".) You can of course bind it to HOTAS or just keyboard, as it is needed for the startup only.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have back problems and I found a quick way that works well for me. Example: If you need to look at the lower left bottom of your seat - first look to your RIGHT cockpit window, then hit your re-center VR button (I have mine mapped to a racing button box for easy access) now look back to left and zoom if needed; it will be much easier. When done look straight ahead and re-center again.