The Governor switch.

Is the Governor switch supposed to be on all the time?  If I turn it off the plane cuts out about a minute or two later.  Am I doing something wrong?

Intel i9 - 149000K CPU @ 5.38GHz

MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti

HyperX Fury 64gb 5200MHz

MSI MPG Z790

Logitech X-56      VR - HP G2 Reverb V2

24 minutes ago, Spectrum48k said:

Am I doing something wrong?

You're overspeeding the engine and killing it. With automation off it's your responsibility to adjust blade pitch manually (using the switch on the throttle handle) in order to maintain engine RPM in a safe range for every airspeed you have in chosen moment. Automation on, on the other hand, does it for you.

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

vor 4 Minuten schrieb Art-J:

You're overspeeding the engine and killing it. With automation off it's your responsibility to adjust blade pitch manually (using the switch on the throttle handle) in order to maintain engine RPM in a safe range for every airspeed you have in chosen moment. Automation on, on the other hand, does it for you.

What Ive always been wondering: is there any advantage to doing it manually? Or is automatic just fine?

• Like 1

vor 36 Minuten schrieb Zoddom:

What Ive always been wondering: is there any advantage to doing it manually? Or is automatic just fine?

I think it is better to use manual mode at startup (set it to 12 hours) and when taxiing on the ground to reduce the turning moment from the propeller and thus make taxiing easier (I have done so and it works fine).

• Like 2

Viggen GIF 2.gif

"If we don't end war, war will end us."  

H. G. Wells

Apart grom what JG wrote above, If you ever struggle with strong left pulling tendency during early phase of takeoff roll, leaving the prop in manual seems to help here quite a bit as well.

Experiment and see what works best for you.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

5 hours ago, Zoddom said:

There is also another advantage. In manual mode, you can tune the prop to generate more drag while having the throttle at idle. This way you will gain less quickly speed in a descent compared to having the throttle at idle in automatic mode. Usefull for slowing down quicker or accelerate less quickly in a dive/being able to dive deeper.

On 3/29/2022 at 3:02 PM, razo+r said:

There is also another advantage. In manual mode, you can tune the prop to generate more drag while having the throttle at idle. This way you will gain less quickly speed in a descent compared to having the throttle at idle in automatic mode. Usefull for slowing down quicker or accelerate less quickly in a dive/being able to dive deeper.

To add to this, it's also helpful on approach and landing to slow the plane. I go full forward on the pitch (12:30 I believe) as you're not using full power at any point on the approach. Should you have to go around though, you have to make sure to retard the pitch a bit so as to not overspeed.

Also in take off, setting 11:30 to take off and only setting it automatic once well airborne helps control the sometimes wild 109's take off rolls, though it's another thing to take care of from the checklist so probably not the best for people trying to learn if they are bogged down in procedures.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 5:00 PM, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Also in take off, setting 11:30 to take off and only setting it automatic once well airborne helps control the sometimes wild 109's take off rolls, though it's another thing to take care of from the checklist so probably not the best for people trying to learn if they are bogged down in procedures.

1130 was not for landing? I thought for taxi and takeoff 1200 is needed

3 hours ago, Devastator said:

1130 was not for landing? I thought for taxi and takeoff 1200 is needed

Try it for yourself, it's a setting commented by actual warbirds pilots, and it works quite well BTW.

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Even "default" 12:30 makes takeoffs noticeably easier for me, so I don't bother changing it to be honest. But of course, experiment and see what suits you better. There is no such thing as one-and-only-correct way to takeoff and land the 109.

14 hours ago, Art-J said:

Even "default" 12:30 makes takeoffs noticeably easier for me, so I don't bother changing it to be honest. But of course, experiment and see what suits you better. There is no such thing as one-and-only-correct way to takeoff and land the 109.

With 12:30 your engine will over rev faster, if high power for take off is used, governor has to be switched much early then at 12:00, this is the only issue with default 12:30.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor