HUD EW stems overlap

Harker

As seen in the following and other videos from our Hornet's time frame, single stems can display different emitter codes, from the same azimuth. In DCS, all emitters have their own stem, often causing emitters to be on top of each other, making them unreadable.

Maybe this is something the team can look into.

This shows the behavior I'm talking about, from 2:36 and after:

An example from DCS is also attached.
Screen_220212_023545.thumb.png.e82af2f8c1d6f4f4f615d51b740fc1f8.png

Edited by Harker
  • Like 5

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Hadn't thought about that. If that's indeed the case, then we're done here.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Yep I tried to reach you on Discord with the same comment. Alternate symbols are mippling or other enhancement symbols (e.g. SH in the old times), not some anti-overlapping logic.

In any case, symbols, at least in offset mode, should not overlap and they do in DCS.

The short video scene linked below has a very good example of the priority logic and how symbols don't overlap. In DCS under certain combinations of lethality they still do overlap, my suspicion being that because the source text ED used for that logic comes from the "old" suite where the thread rings were reversed and that refers to the azimuth indicator logic.

Edited by Ahmed
  • Like 1

• ED Team
1 hour ago, Ahmed said:

In any case, symbols, at least in offset mode, should not overlap and they do in DCS.

The short video scene linked below has a very good example of the priority logic and how symbols don't overlap... 

Interesting video, thanks! But I don't understand how priority affects overlapping. I agree with the note about the offset mode. Also, after watching the video, we cannot be sure what is happening and for what reason. Offset mode could be on, probably.

Thanks for the response. Sorry for the confusion, the mention of priority was just that the video is also a good example of how those 6 most priority threats are shown, it wasn't intended as to insinuate that it has any relation with the overlapping.

What is visible in the video is that no 2 symbols overlap (probably, as you say, because offset is on, even though we can't know this for sure... but in DCS even in offset mode they do overlap under certain conditions).

I'll take the opportunity to say it also shows some of the missing symbology such as the flashing long stem ("critical threat with special lethality conditions" in the book), and should also help illustrate the whole lethal/non-lethal/critical misinterpretation we currently have in DCS. So many things in such a short clip!

55 minutes ago, Hulkbust44 said:

Interesting,
So with this later in the video when it's alternating 18 and 29 you're saying the RWR can't tell the difference between a Hornet radar and a Fulcrum radar?

Im saying that IRL it has to actually figure it out because its not just spoon fed on a little bundle of EDs lua code somewhere. And sometimes things are ambiguous. IDK how the RWR is set up IRL, idk what alphanumerics relate to what emitter, idk if different aspects, closures, etc etc influence the ID. All I know is that RWRs in DCS are wayyyyyyyyyyyy too good.

• Thanks 1

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

• ED Team

off topic removed, please stay on the topic of the thread title. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2