Doesn’t TADS have a system to stabilize or hold

Lowlyslows
Go to solution Solved by BIGNEWY,

Short version: No. (EDIT: At least not yet)

Longer version:

Use the Linear Motion Compensator (LMC) on the TEDAC. It's NOT a target lock, and it;s not ground stabilisation. It's a angular stabilisation, so will keep the TADS looking along the same LOS from wherever you are or however the aircraft moves. If you turn it on, and then slide right 500m then you will be looking in exactly the same azimuth and elevation as you were, just 500m right of where you were.

If you slew with MLC on then it "remembers" the direction and speed you were slewing in and maintains that, so you can *follow* a moving target, but you won't be *tracking* it. You can cancel out the motion by slewing in the opposite direction, but getting it to stop is virtually impossible. Best thing to do is turn it off and on again.

Edited by frostycab
  • Thanks 2

Don't know quite why I'm seeing lot's of duplicate posts on the forum tonight, but you should probably look at the other thread.Don't know quite why I'm seeing lot's of duplicate posts on the forum tonight, but you should probably look at the other thread.

I’m drawing a blank here but watching real Apache tads feeds the CPG keeps the crosshairs fixed while helo is in motion pretty easily. Like doesn’t the TADS have an aiming assist that calculates how to hold it stabilized so the CPG doesn’t have to keep fighting the motion of the helo? 

Is it the Target state estimator? Or something else?

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

On 3/28/2022 at 5:29 PM, frostycab said:

Short version: No. (EDIT: At least not yet)

Longer version:

Use the Linear Motion Compensator (LMC) on the TEDAC. It's NOT a target lock, and it;s not ground stabilisation. It's a angular stabilisation, so will keep the TADS looking along the same LOS from wherever you are or however the aircraft moves. If you turn it on, and then slide right 500m then you will be looking in exactly the same azimuth and elevation as you were, just 500m right of where you were.

If you slew with MLC on then it "remembers" the direction and speed you were slewing in and maintains that, so you can *follow* a moving target, but you won't be *tracking* it. You can cancel out the motion by slewing in the opposite direction, but getting it to stop is virtually impossible. Best thing to do is turn it off and on again.

This is exactly what I needed, thank you!

• Like 1

• ED Team
  • Solution

LMC tweaks will be coming in future patches during early access.

thank you

• Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

10 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

LMC tweaks will be coming in future patches during early access.

thank you

Isnt LMC for assisting the CPG with a moving target?

So is the Image auto tracker the thing that keeps tads mostly fixed on a ground position while the aircraft moves? If so, do we know when it’s coming into early access? Like soonish or a year away? I’ve bee doing mostly CPG work and I’d like the systems to help me out lol

edit: Disregard. I spoke with another pilot and he clarified it for me. It’s the LMC. 

Edited by S. Low

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

• ED Team

Image Auto Track is a contrast lock function like the auto-track on the Ka-50 Shkval. It's not a ground stabilization system per se.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

I put LMC to use this evening. Locate target (infantry, APC, etc) Put crosshairs on them. Press LMC and take finger off joystick. Camera holds ground position as helo moves. This is the system I was thinking of. Thanks guys. 

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

You can "kinda cheat" the system and have it "fully stabalise" on a target if you LASE -> STORE -> SLAVE TO T0X. Its not perfect, but it does provide an tool in the box.

14 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Image Auto Track is a contrast lock function like the auto-track on the Ka-50 Shkval. It's not a ground stabilization system per se.

Does it work in EA ? I have the button mapped but they hardly do anything

12 minutes ago, hotrod525 said:

You can "kinda cheat" the system and have it "fully stabalise" on a target if you LASE -> STORE -> SLAVE TO T0X. Its not perfect, but it does provide an tool in the box.

Does it work in EA ? I have the button mapped but they hardly do anything

Image auto track isn’t implemented yet. Ground stabilized is achieved with LMC and zero joystick input.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

On 3/29/2022 at 12:08 AM, Frederf said:

The IAT isn't in now I don't think. It should have it at some point. The controls would be IAT-OFS on the LHG and the A-O-M and W-A-B switches on the RHG.

The A-O-M switch is for the laser spot tracker. Automatic, off, manual. The W-A-B switch is for IAT (Whitehot, Auto, Black hot)

I am having issues with LMC because I need to have at times fairly high deflection on my joystick (which I use for TADS control) to keep the target centered. When I then turn on LMC it just shoots off and it's impossible to make it stop again and it just goes all over the place. Placing it back on a target is easy enough (after 15 seconds of fiddling),but making it stop moving doesn't seem possible. What I'd need to do is slave and then turn on LMC and deslave or overcorrect, then let go of the stick and let the target drift to the center before turning LMC on. Both are a bit of a pain so I usually just manually keep the crosshairs on target with the stick.

14 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Thank you. Why couldn't you give me such a simple and straight answer when I asked what IAT does before?

So can they be combined? Have IAT on a moving target, then turn on LMC and when they disappear behind a few bushes or a building it keeps moving the camera at the speed of the vehicle and potentially pops right back on them again when they appear again (assuming a straight road and no speed changes)? Will it disengage IAT at that time or will it stop and lock onto the bushes/house?

Edited by FalcoGer

28 minutes ago, FalcoGer said:

The A-O-M switch is for the laser spot tracker. Automatic, off, manual. The W-A-B switch is for IAT (Whitehot, Auto, Black hot)

I am having issues with LMC because I need to have at times fairly high deflection on my joystick (which I use for TADS control) to keep the target centered. When I then turn on LMC it just shoots off and it's impossible to make it stop again and it just goes all over the place. Placing it back on a target is easy enough (after 15 seconds of fiddling),but making it stop moving doesn't seem possible. What I'd need to do is slave and then turn on LMC and deslave or overcorrect, then let go of the stick and let the target drift to the center before turning LMC on. Both are a bit of a pain so I usually just manually keep the crosshairs on target with the stick.

Thank you. Why couldn't you give me such a simple and straight answer when I asked what IAT does before?

So can they be combined? Have IAT on a moving target, then turn on LMC and when they disappear behind a few bushes or a building it keeps moving the camera at the speed of the vehicle and potentially pops right back on them again when they appear again (assuming a straight road and no speed changes)? Will it disengage IAT at that time or will it stop and lock onto the bushes/house?

Brad (Apache pilot) mentioned he doesn’t like IAT as it causes issues that could lead to friendly fire. His example was you IAT a target, fire at it, and when the ordinance hits target the IAT picks up the flash and sends tads flying off into wild directions. Edit: my point being that you may not want to expect to be relying on this system when it comes out. Try getting comfortable with tads and LMC as they are now

Your issue seems to be less about LMC and more about either getting your pilot to fly at better angles, or you as the CPG need to zoom out a bit so it’s easier to control tads and put the crosshair on target then press LMC and take finger off joystick so LMC doesn’t move off your target

Edited by S. Low

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

26 minutes ago, FalcoGer said:

Try turning lmc on, having someone fly you and search and scan for something to track with it on. When you turn it on ensure you have no deflection in your stick. You’re telling it how fast to slide. With a little practice it’s not too bad. If you get out of whack turn it off and try again, once you understand the concept it’s not too bad. I think most people are still trying to control it like a joystick and and leaving that push of a stick in when with that much in you’re telling it slide this direction really fast, then when you oppose it, it’s slowing it down. So just track some vehicles keep it steady on tree. And control everything from center. I turned my sensitivity down just a bit.