Does FC3 install remove previously installed F-15C module?

santinif4

I just purchased from the ED site 3 items. A Red Flag campaign for the F-16, the Nevada test range terrain, and Flaming Cliffs 3 (to get those other aircraft that came with it) Now I already had the F-15C - which supposedly is the exact same module as in FC3. I also was able to download some instant action missions for the F-15C a while back (I can't remember the name of the user that supplies them but I do recall he is fairly well known in the forum for those items for the F-15C since it didn't come with any training missions in it's module). Now that I downloaded and installed FC3, my F-15C icon on the bottom banner has disappeared altogether. I can access a few F-15C missions from the FC3 icon "instant action" menu, but I no longer have access to any of those user supplied training missions. I thought it would add/allow access to those other FC3 aircraft icons individually - but it seems I can only use them in the FC3 context only? Does that sound right?

Additional comment
I originally purchased DCS World through Steam years ago, but only recently installed the standalone version and was able to successfully import the only 3 modules I had at Steam: F-15C, F-16C, and the Mariana terrain. I test ran them on the standalone and they all worked fine until this morning after installing FC3 - after which as described above - my F-15C module isn't there anymore.

The F-15C module DOES show up as installed in the module manager.

26 minutes ago, santinif4 said:

Does that sound right?

Yep. When I bought the Supercarrier, I got a copy of the Su-33. But I already have FC3 installed, so I just ignore it's prompt to install the Su-33 module. There are some neat menu themes which we don't get with FC3, but those are easy enough to get if you're motivated.

27 minutes ago, santinif4 said:

The F-15C module DOES show up as installed in the module manager.

My suggestion is to locate the actual module files <DCS root>/Mods/Aircraft/(F-15C Flaming Cliffs). Your missing missions might be there. MIGHT. Because they're user files you were the one that installed them, not Eagle Dynamics. So they can be wherever you happened to put them. Wherever that actually was.

You may want to save your F-15C Control Profile (Save As), in case you have to effortlessly reload it to the FC3 version of the same aircraft (I have no idea if this step is even required).

Once you're sure you don't need anything from your legacy F-15C module, my suggestion would be to uninstall it.. as it's now redundant.

If you have any problems you can just reinstall it again, but I don't believe that will be necessary. But it still is an option for whatever reason.

54 minutes ago, santinif4 said:
... Now that I downloaded and installed FC3, my F-15C icon on the bottom banner has disappeared altogether. I can access a few F-15C missions from the FC3 icon "instant action" menu ... I thought it would add/allow access to those other FC3 aircraft icons individually - but it seems I can only use them in the FC3 context only? Does that sound right?

Yes, the FC3 module disables the individual FC3-type Modules that you may have installed, as it is esentially the exact same aircraft and their built-in missions should mostly be included within FC3. If you check your dcs.log file, you should find statements of this style, which are normal when you have FC3:

INFO    Scripting: plugin: SKIPPED 'Su-33 Flanker by Eagle Dynamics': disabled by 'Flaming Cliffs by Eagle Dynamics'

You can save some disk space by uninstalling, on the Module Manager, any individual modules that you may have, like the F-15C.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

1 hour ago, santinif4 said:

I also was able to download some instant action missions for the F-15C a while back (I can't remember the name of the user that supplies them but I do recall he is fairly well known in the forum for those items for the F-15C since it didn't come with any training missions in it's module) ...  I no longer have access to any of those user supplied training missions.

Most likely, you placed those missions within the DCS program folder ... perhaps so that they would appear like DCS native training missions. That's not a good idea, as any DCS repair procedure would remove them. 

Instead, place all of your user-made missions on the /Saved Games/DCS.Openbeta/Missions/ folder ... if you have no "Missions" folder, create it using windows file management tools. Within DCS you can access this folder by using the "Mission" menu:

GvhGShq.jpg

The "Instant Action" missions of the FC3 Module are strictly to get you started .. do not limit yourself to those, instead browse the User Files section of the ED website ... there are plenty of missions there. Save them within the /Saved Games/DCS.Openbeta/Missions/  folder that I mentioned above.

The Mission screen highlights each Module built-in missions, giving each aircraft its own category, for example these are the ones for FC3:

b7chP5n.jpg

... but the real treasure are your own missions, either made by you or by others ... they are under the "My Missions" category (which actually corresponds to the /Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Missions/ folder) .. you can organize your missions however you like, on my case I grouped them by Map, because in the old days when you loaded a mission DCS didnt tell you which Map it used:

iPEX5kr.jpg

You open each folder by double clicking on it, for example for "1 Caucasus" (the 1 is for ordering the folders like I want, rather than alphabetically). Within this Caucasus folder I created one folder for each aircraft that I have:

TpXGPcf.jpg

If I now double click on the F-15C folder, I can then browse the user missions that I have for the F-15:

L4EumJ0.jpg

The training missions that you were looking for, are those edited by the user @N22YF ... I saved those on the folder that you see. Inside it, are the training missions:

TEC9e7y.jpg

Best regards,

Eduardo

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thank you Eduardo, I have much to learn. I did find those training missions where you said they should be (and they were those same ones by N22YF!) I also was able to bring the control inputs folder over as you described as well. Thanks for all the great help - I would certainly have been fumbling around for days on just those few things. Time to hit the books now and figure more of this out...It looks like you have been doing this for quite some time - it looks like you have every product DCS has!

I have an HP Reverb2 and have just begun messing with VoiceAttack so that I only will need the HOTAS. I really don't want to use any mouse etc while in VR. From the little I have tried so far it seems like that VoiceAttack might be the way to go. 

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

9 hours ago, santinif4 said:

I originally purchased DCS World through Steam years ago, but only recently installed the standalone version and was able to successfully import the only 3 modules I had at Steam: F-15C, F-16C, and the Mariana terrain.

Marianas is a free map, not bound to Steam account, but needs to be downloaded through Module Manager.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria