Dissociate mouse pointer from head movement in VR

AFsparrow1968

Hello to developpers and community.

I would like to know if  we can expect an update whic allow to dissociate mouse pointer from head movement in VR.

I confirm this issue is very annoying!! It is hard to accurately click in cockpit. Even a small head movement disturb mouse pointer position with a VR headset...

Hope a patch or option will come for this wonderful flight simulator

Have a nice day and happy flying from France!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't remove the option to move with head, as there are people that manage the pointer with the head and click mouse with buttons in their joystick. Specially in VR... but for sure I would add the option to unlink from head motion in VR area or elsewhere.

• Like 7

As an option perhaps, but whatever you do ED please don't remove the feature altogether.  Some of us VR users rely very heavily on it.  Who carries a mouse in a cockpit?

• Like 1

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

Its been quite a while we already had that discussion. Glad it popped up again.

I find it annoying in VR that you have to keep your head perfectly still to operate the cockpit. You shpuld be able to decouple the mouse from the head movement. Just try it in Xplane in VR. It works great. If the mouse cursor is on the limits of your view it just gets dragged by the outer extents of the view.

I would like to point the mouse on a switch and see the result of it in the HUD. For example toggling waypoints in the F16. I would love to hover the mouse over the switch, then move my head and eyes away to the hud and see where the waypoints are located as they jump in the HUD while toggling by clicking through them.

And please dont tell me to bind a HOTAS or keyboard key on the waypoint switch. I know I can do that.

Edited by darkman222
  • Like 3

thanks for all your clever remarks. I hope developers will our long time request to add this option. They are so talented so it shouldn't be a problem for them. 

that is true that other sims let the mouse moving independently from the head in VR. I think it will be the case for cliff of Dover when VR will be implemented. it will be great as a/c have all clickable buttons, knobs and levers in cockpit!!

have a nice evening 

• Like 1

Am 30.3.2022 um 13:13 schrieb Lace:

As an option perhaps, but whatever you do ED please don't remove the feature altogether.  Some of us VR users rely very heavily on it.  Who carries a mouse in a cockpit?

No no, don't worry. It does not affect the head tracking control. It is only a matter of deactivating head tracking for mouse control.

Edited by Germane

I agree with Lace . I find the mouse tied to headtracking very helpful . It makes UFC entries very fast , and is quicker to use when looking at a side console , for example . Otherwise , you would find your switch with the cursor out of (vr) view , and play with the mouse to get it in view , and only then place the cursor on the switch . No thanks !!

So if ED chooses to implement the OP's suggestion , i second Lace's suggestion to make it an OPTION !

Edited by Svsmokey
  • Like 2

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

vor 18 Minuten schrieb Svsmokey:

I agree with Lace . I find the mouse tied to headtracking very helpful . It makes UFC entries very fast , and is quicker to use when looking at a side console , for example . Otherwise , you would find your switch with the cursor out of (vr) view , and play with the mouse to get it in view , and only then place the cursor on the switch . No thanks !!

So if ED chooses to implement the OP's suggestion , i second Lace's suggestion to make it an OPTION !

These are two different things. It is about the mouse movement not being affected by the micro head tracking movements. of course the courser should always be in the field of view. Just as other games manage to do without any problems. 

I didn't understand your previous post , nor this one . Either the cursor is tied to headtracking , or it isn't per the OP . 

4 minutes ago, Germane said:

These are two different things. It is about the mouse movement not being affected by the micro head tracking movements. of course the courser should always be in the field of view. Just as other games manage to do without any problems. 

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

vor 25 Minuten schrieb Svsmokey:

I didn't understand your previous post , nor this one . Either the cursor is tied to headtracking , or it isn't per the OP . 

It s like @darkman222 said in his post. The cursor stays allways in the field of view but in the center of the view it is not influenced by head tracking.
That is at least one possibility. Of course, it should not be the case that you have to search for the mouse cursor where you put it down in the plane.

I would like to be able to make the cursor smaller, or less bright in color to make it less annoying. I operate the cockpit with my head solely and I think that is very intuïtive. I would like to be able to set an offset for the cursor, especially on the vertical axis to make my neck less strained. The size, opacity and color break my feeling of immersion a bit, but I wouldn't remove the function at all!

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI X570 Tomahawk, 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C15D @ 3866C14, ASRock Taichi 7900XTX, HP Reverb G2, VPC WarBRD-D & Thrustmaster F16 Viper & F18 Super Hornet, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle.

17 hours ago, IIurricane said:

I support the optional disabling of the mouse cursor.

In addition, a way to adjust the cursor position would be awesome.

Yes it should be : I tried to turn off mouse and aim cursor with HMD only, and it's very hard, sometimes impossible for me to reach buttons that are very close to pilot, on left or right console.
Having option to totally unlink cursor from HMD (using only mouse), that I personnaly wish for my usage comfort, is doable, and it already exists in 2 cases : when you open radio menu the cursor is unlinked from HMD, and same thing when in DCS menu (any). In other case the cursor is strictly linked to HMD only (reconnaissance mode with red cross to designate visible targets that makes allied AI aware of them).
Not talking about how it is done in other VR sims of course.

• 9 months later...

The other F16 sim is now in VR too. It's the first iteration though, with a similar approach for the mouse cursor. But the cursor snaps to the buttons, which is already more convenient than the floaty head movement bound cursor in DCS that floats around with every ever so slight Head movent. It's worth to bring that topic up again.

The best solution still is a decoupled cursor.

• Like 1

I have the same problem now with the ultraleap glowes - the head movement drags the pointer created by the ultraleap hand tracking. It is jumping as the ultraleap sets the cursor and whenever I move with my head it tries to drag the cursor away including the hand visualisation. Am I alone trying the ultraleap thing while its not possible to unlink VR cursor from the pointer movement? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can Devs please have another look at the topic?

Another example why it is useful to uncouple the mouse cursor from the head movement is when for example entering something on the ICP in the F16 and look in the HUD or DED to see how the entry affects a change in number or setting.

Being used to the behavior from other VR capable simulators, that have this approach implemented, I instinctively look in the area where I expect something to change, but then the click goes into nowhere because the mouse cursor was moved that way.

Edited by darkman222
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Kind bump, my big unstable head is struggling with this issue

An option to unlink mouse from center of head view would be very useful.

Like someone said above in xplane and i think it's the same in MSFS, mouse would stay in the "gimbal limit" of your POV so the mouse wont get lost, but the mouse can stabilize on buttons instead of moving accurately with every little head shake.

PLEASE

2 hours ago, -Sky- said:

Like someone said above in xplane and i think it's the same in MSFS

Those games are just like DCS in this regard. Although the suggestion makes sense I don’t know of any sims that work like that. 

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

5 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Those games are just like DCS in this regard. Although the suggestion makes sense I don’t know of any sims that work like that. 

Nope, unless there is an option in DCS that I haven't heard of that allows it to behave like MSFS or XPlane. In these sims, if you move the mouse to place the pointer on top of a button, knob or anywhere in the cockpit, it stays there even if you move your head to look around. In other words, movement of the mouse pointer is relative to the cockpit in MSFS and XPlane while it is relative to where you look in DCS.

I can understand that some prefer the DCS way because it allows to "point and click" with your head and a joystick button only but many others find the MSFS/XPlane way more natural and certainly more accurate. Please ED, give us both options.

Edited by mrsylvestre
Clarified: mouse pointer

5800X3D - 6950XT - Pico 4

10 hours ago, mrsylvestre said:

Nope, unless there is an option in DCS that I haven't heard of that allows it to behave like MSFS or XPlane. In these sims, if you move the mouse to place the pointer on top of a button, knob or anywhere in the cockpit, it stays there even if you move your head to look around. In other words, movement of the mouse pointer is relative to the cockpit in MSFS and XPlane while it is relative to where you look in DCS.

How does this setting work in MSFS? I asked about it once and nobody seemed to know. I don’t see any option there for this. 

I don’t personally have trouble in DCS probably because these military aircraft assume pilots wearing gloves and have big knobs and such. Civilian aircraft have tiny double-inset dials like on the Garmin and those are really tough. 

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

On MSFS, movement of the cursor by the mouse that only depends on the mouse, not where you are looking, is the default and as far as I know the only way. If you hover the mouse cursor over a fixed point in the cockpit it will stay there, no matter if you then move your head and gaze away, until you move the mouse again. Perhaps I am unaware of a different setting that would exist in MSFS (?), but that is how it works on my system, and I wish that this behaviour could also be available (as an option) on DCS to make it easier to get to the most finicky switches, especially because physical controls beyond those found on the HOTAS (button boxes emulating MCP's, MFD's, radio settings switches and rotaries, fuel system, etc) are not so practical in VR.

Edited by mrsylvestre
  • Like 1

5800X3D - 6950XT - Pico 4

5 hours ago, mrsylvestre said:

On MSFS, movement of the cursor by the mouse that only depends on the mouse, not where you are looking, is the default and as far as I know the only way. If you hover the mouse cursor over a fixed point in the cockpit it will stay there, no matter if you then move your head and gaze away, until you move the mouse again. Perhaps I am unaware of a different setting that would exist in MSFS (?), but that is how it works on my system, and I wish that this behaviour could also be available (as an option) on DCS to make it easier to get to the most finicky switches, especially because physical controls beyond those found on the HOTAS (button boxes emulating MCP's, MFD's, radio settings switches and rotaries, fuel system, etc) are not so practical in VR.

Strange, that’s not what I experience in any other flight sim including MSFS. They all work like DCS. I don’t see any options to select otherwise (MSFS is currently the only other game like this I own). Are you using head tracking (TrackIR) or VR? That’s the difference then, you must be using VR. 
It makes sense that the 2D mouse cursor moves with your screen (view) since that’s how the mouse input from Windows behaves. The VR cursor must be a 3D object or something. Maybe that option could be enabled in 2D?