GBU12 and Reaper lased targets?

Auger

I've cant seem to figure out how to get GBU12's to pick up a buddy (Reaper) lased target. I don't have any problems self lasing, but I'm not sure the procedure for picking up buddy lased targets.

I have the GBU12's set to 1688, Master Arm on, GBU's selected and set to CCRP, Master Mode set to CCRP, but as I make my approach to the target I'm not seeing the targeting cue fall line. I've searched YT tutorials on GBU12's but most seem to be dedicated to self lasing.

Can anyone tell me the steps for using them with a buddy lased target, or point me in a direction that shows the procedure? I can do this effectively with the AV-8B, but that's a whole different work flow.

Thanks

• Like 1

In order for buddy lasing to work, both aircraft has to have an ATFLIR for example?  I was lasing a target because my flight mate forgot to load an ATFLIR.  He set his GBU12s to my code.  His GBUs missed.  So just to confirm, do we both have to have an ATFLIR? Thanks

2 hours ago, Drac said:

In order for buddy lasing to work, both aircraft has to have an ATFLIR for example?  I was lasing a target because my flight mate forgot to load an ATFLIR.  He set his GBU12s to my code.  His GBUs missed.  So just to confirm, do we both have to have an ATFLIR? Thanks

Hmmm, ATFLIR is an F/A-18C thing, are you in the right forum?  A-10C can only use Litening TGP

7 hours ago, Auger said:

I've cant seem to figure out how to get GBU12's to pick up a buddy (Reaper) lased target. I don't have any problems self lasing, but I'm not sure the procedure for picking up buddy lased targets.

I have the GBU12's set to 1688, Master Arm on, GBU's selected and set to CCRP, Master Mode set to CCRP, but as I make my approach to the target I'm not seeing the targeting cue fall line. I've searched YT tutorials on GBU12's but most seem to be dedicated to self lasing.

Can anyone tell me the steps for using them with a buddy lased target, or point me in a direction that shows the procedure? I can do this effectively with the AV-8B, but that's a whole different work flow.

Thanks

How are you getting your buddy to lase from a Reaper drone?  Or are you talking about the AI JTAC?

If it's the AI JTAC, does that work through a drone?  I have to admit, I've never tested it.  Have you been successful conducting an LGB attack with a drone JTAC from the Harrier?  If not, there's a whole palaver you need to go through with the AI JTAC to get them to turn on the laser.

One common "doh!" mistake in LGB attacks in the A-10C is forgetting to make the TGP SPI.  The CCRP cueing guides you to the current SPI, and if it's still set to a steerpoint somewhere other than where your TGP is looking, you won't get the fall line or other guidance symbology.  Remember, your only indication of your SPI sensor is the data block in the lower left of the HUD.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, icemaker said:

Your plane needs to know what you are aiming.

Exactly this! 👍

2 hours ago, Drac said:

In order for buddy lasing to work, both aircraft has to have an ATFLIR for example?

The A-10C doesn't have an ATFLIR.

More generally speaking, regardless if you're flying the A-10C or the Hornet, the GBU-12 can be considered a lock-on-after-launch weapon (I'm not sure that's how it is described, but it's how it works). After being dropped, it'll fall on a ballistic path. One its seeker picks up a laser spot with the correct code/frequency, it'll guide toward that spot. If it never finds a laser spot, or if it runs out of energy before reaching the target, it'll miss. So in any case, the bomb needs to be dropped on a target that is sufficiently close to the spot being lased, and pilots need to make sure they have designated that as their SPI or target, depending on the airframe.

Long story short, no, the aircraft dropping the weapon doesn't need to have a TGP.

• Like 1

Your correct, wrong thread.  Thanks

8 minutes ago, Yurgon said:

Exactly this! 👍

The A-10C doesn't have an ATFLIR.

More generally speaking, regardless if you're flying the A-10C or the Hornet, the GBU-12 can be considered a lock-on-after-launch weapon (I'm not sure that's how it is described, but it's how it works). After being dropped, it'll fall on a ballistic path. One its seeker picks up a laser spot with the correct code/frequency, it'll guide toward that spot. If it never finds a laser spot, or if it runs out of energy before reaching the target, it'll miss. So in any case, the bomb needs to be dropped on a target that is sufficiently close to the spot being lased, and pilots need to make sure they have designated that as their SPI or target, depending on the airframe.

Long story short, no, the aircraft dropping the weapon doesn't need to have a TGP.

Copy...Thanks

Late reply, but maybe it helps.

if an A-10 buddy is lasing, or an F16 or whatever, all you need them to do to get CCRP to work is to get the SPI. If you don‘t have a TGP let your buddy send the SPI via Datalink. All sensors to SPI and you get the CCRP reticle. 

On 3/30/2022 at 3:46 PM, Auger said:

Thanks

LSS obviously won't launch targets on its own without JTAC units or anything from the ground or air (a major shortcoming) and for the first time I wouldn't know why there is no line for dropping bombs for CCRP, it's strange to me, look at the whole procedure again and whether target you have as SPI.But if you can use LSS on your own, I'd like you to share that experience with the A-10 👍

Edited by Dragan

On 3/30/2022 at 3:46 PM, Auger said:

Ok, here goes:

- Load attached Mission

- Get in the plane, stabilize yourself, switch to WP 1 and set your bomb up.

- Select TGT Pod on the right MFD and make it SOI

- China Hat forward long to slave it to the first waypoint.

- China Hat back short to start the LSS

- The TGT Pod will pick up the laser at around 15nm

- Once detected TMS up to set your SPI

- Wait for the Timer to reach 0 and release the bomb

- Watch the bomb explode, rinse and repeat

A-10_GBU_12_CCRP.miz A-10_GBU_12_CCRP.trk

• Like 1

52d_Sig_Pic3.png