How easy (or hard) is it to create variants of existing aircraft?

The_Chugster

For example, we have the F-14 with 2 versions and with the F-4E coming out many people are hoping for one of the dozen or so other Phantom variants to be released (mine are the British Phantoms).

So what I want to know is how difficult is it for the creators, and modders, to created these variants? How easy is it to change the engines (and remodel the fuselages with the Brit birds), to change the avionics etc?

I just want to know if we  Phantom Phans are getting our hopes up for every version of the Phantom or if the reality is that we can only get a couple (the F-4E and the inevitable Naval version)?

Edited by The_Chugster

If the version changes anything related to different shape or engines it needs changes to the flight model and that is one of the hardest parts of making a module.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Depends on the variant. Changes to engine and FM code are hard. Changing the 3D model is less so, especially if it's set up for that, but avionics changes that come with the different cockpit dials and such can be harder.

British Phantom would be a whole other module. However, we might see multiple variants in each US module, because they're not quite that different.

yeah the British variants are tough because there are very, very few systems in common, different engines, different avionics, radar, cockpits, front Gear, even different fuselage. It is basically a completely different Aircraft for DCS. 

That said, it would be really, really cool to have the British variants some day in the future. and if it comes with its own Carrier, you can take my money now.