[2.7.11.22041 Open Beta] Radar altimeter missing after today's patch (only affected by Cold & Dark starts)

key_stroked
Go to solution Solved by key_stroked,

8 minutes ago, grant977 said:

Nope gotta turn it on in flight screen.

It isn't working for cold and dark starts.

If I choose a hot start, the RAD ALT is on, even though it's not selected "on" in the FLT page. Pressing the RDR ALT button also won't turn it off, either. It's stuck in the "on" state.

hotstart.jpg

If I choose a cold and dark start, the RDR ALT button can be manipulated (you can see the dot full/empty), but it doesn't actually turn on the radar altimeter.

coldstart.jpg

Edited by key_stroked

• key_stroked changed the title to [2.7.11.22041 Open Beta] Radar altimeter missing after today's patch (only affected by Cold & Dark starts)

I just tried this. cold dark start, switch RAD ALT on no problem in FLT/SET page. it takes a moment to come on, RPM at 100.

then switch off works, then switch on works, but: takes 20 sec to come back on.

I think thats your problem, switch it on and wait... see what it does...

Edited by comcat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NineLine said:

I'm checking. But if you have a track, please share it as well. 

I can't save track files. My track file system is broken, even after a DCS_Updater.exe repair.

Edit: I had disabled track file recording in the autoexec.cfg file. Did it a while back and forgot about it. My bad!

trackfilereplayerror.jpg

1 hour ago, Zarma said:

It works but need some time to initialize

1 hour ago, comcat said:

I just tried this. cold dark start, switch RAD ALT on no problem in FLT/SET page. it takes a moment to come on, RPM at 100.

then switch off works, then switch on works, but: takes 20 sec to come back on.

I think thats your problem, switch it on and wait... see what it does...

I did the Caucasus cold and dark instant start scenario. After the engines were started, I pressed RAD ALT on the FLT page. The radar altimeter never came on, but the dot was solid.

I'd provide a track file but DCS won't save track files for me.

Edited by key_stroked

Quick cold start, turned on the radar altimeter without the engine, only APU. Had it in the IHADSS after 25 secondes

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg

Same here, literally just took off from Cold&Dark, started RALT, active after a few seconds, no issues

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

• Solution
29 minutes ago, NineLine said:

Yeah I ran through a cold start, no issue turning it on or off. 

I did another test and waited another full 30 seconds after pushing RDR ALT on the FLT page. This time, it came on.

I think what confused me is that prior to this patch, if I used a cold & dark aircraft, the radar altimeter was already on by default when the aircraft got power. But now, there's an extra step of pressing RDR ALT and having to wait a good 25-30 seconds for the FLT page and the IHADSS to show 0 (if on the ground).

Nothing was said about the radar altimeter in the patch notes, so it caught me off guard when I didn't see it right away.
I'm going to mark this as solved, but I'll leave the title unedited in case someone else runs into the same issue I did and finds this thread.

Thanks for testing all!

@NineLine There is one issue remaining with the radar altimeter, which I just verified (it's really minor). A hot started aircraft can't turn off its radar altimeter. I tried using RDR ALT on the FLT page, but the altimeter stays on. This was also shown in one of the screenshots towards the top of the thread.

Edited by key_stroked
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Zap921 said:

What am I missing, I never had to turn it on from cold & dark? 

It being on in Cold&Dark state probably was wrong, have to follow procedures and turn it on, now

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

30 minutes ago, Shimmergloom667 said:

It being on in Cold&Dark state probably was wrong, have to follow procedures and turn it on, now

Could be a fix to make something more realistic, but I wanted a sanity check that it was previously on automatically in cold, dark startup.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Zap921 said:

Could be a fix to make something more realistic, but I wanted a sanity check that it was previously on automatically in cold, dark startup.

Sanity? you gave that up when you hit "BUY" on the AH-64. 😄

• Like 1

Is it just me thinking wrong or did we lose the altitude readout on the IHADDS?

This in VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

There's another thread about this.  You now had to enable it after a cold, dark startup.  Haven't flown yet and yes it was automatically on before the update.  It's turned on/off on one of the MPD display screens, and it takes a bit to come up.

Here's the link: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/297283-271122041-open-beta-radar-altimeter-missing-after-todays-patch-only-affected-by-cold-dark-starts/#comment-4933070

Edited by Zap921

1 minute ago, Zap921 said:

There's another thread about this.  You now had to enable it after a cold, dark startup.  Haven't flown yet and yes it was automatically on before the update.  It's turned on/off on one of the MPD display screens, and it takes a bit to come up.

Okay will have a look thanks. Glad I was not going nuts lol. I had looked for a thread but did not see it which is why I posted. Perhaps ED should have updated the cold start training mission to reflect this, which is the mission I am currently using.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I am currently using the cold and dark training mission as I go through some of the learning process.

Probably would have been nice if they had updated this training to reflect this change. I was pulling my hair out over where did that thing go...

• Like 1

Don B

• ED Team

The Radar Altimeter should automatically be powered on during aircraft power on. If it is not on, it's a bug.

Same is the case with the Doppler radar, it shouldn't require manual power on by the pilot; both of these systems should always be on after starting the APU.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

3 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

It should automatically be on when starting the aircraft. If it is not, it's a bug.

After today's update it is no longer on after starting the aircraft. I took off and flew around several minutes, never comes on. I see the topic is labeled cannot reproduce. Very easy to reproduce, just do cold and dark startup training mission. It never comes on.

Edited by dburne

Don B