Overwriting input-profile generates double filename extensions

MarcT-NL

I just updated my input .lua for the new trim reset and used OvGME to overwrite the default .lua and it worked fine, didn't generate a duplicate.  Does your version of the input profile have the .diff.lua accidently added in twice for it?

Edit: Looking at the screenshot again I realize you might be talking about the in-game controls profile that's saved in the saved games area, not the main one in the main game files.  Moar coffee plez

Edited by Chaos_Out

5900x | 3090 | HP Reverb G2

You use OvGME to save a profile ? I do that in DCS control-options. I just clicked "Save profile as..." and in the fileselctor clicked on the already exising profile.

It didn't give me an overwrite-warning,

When I looked later, I saw that there was a .diff.lua file as wel as a .diff.lua.diff.lua file...

Tried the same with some other modules. Same result.

I have spent last week rebinding all my mods (don't ask) I always save them. I always overwrite the existing ones for throttle, stick, etc. So today I didn't do it differently. It just puts an extension after an already exisiting extension.

Edited by MarcT-NL

9 minutes ago, MarcT-NL said:

No. Same as you, I was so happy with the trim-reset that I wanted to save it. I just clicked "Save profile as..." and in the fileselctor clicked on the already exising profile. It would give me an overwrite-warning, I said YES.

When I looked later, I saw that there was a .diff.lua file as wel as a .diff.lua.diff.lua file...

Tried the same with some other modules. Same result.

I know what you're talking about now, but we're talking about two different things.  I added a custom Norm/Else Off switch for the NVS Mode that I have to transfer over every time they update the controls in the default.lua.  You're talking about going inside the game and saving the bindings for each hardware piece (throttle, joystick, etc.).  I just tried what you were doing and it does create a double .diff.lua because that how it's listed in the filename.  The only way for it to actually overwrite the old file is to take out .diff.lua in the filename box when saving.  Then you'll get the prompt of "this will overwrite the file are you sure?"  Is this a bug or not, I don't know.

Edited by Chaos_Out

5900x | 3090 | HP Reverb G2

It worked fine before this last update. I know because I spent a week rebinding all hardware, saving every 5 minutes.

Haha, I see I edited my reply while you were typing your reply...  my bad. Sorry.

Edited by MarcT-NL

Hi.

I was going to start a thread but as this is already done I go with my input:

I also found this duplicating of the ".diff.lua" extension when saving a profile. I first was surprised I had no "file already exist" message, so I looked closely and found that the extensions did repeat themselves. 

After some fiddleing and deletting wrong files, I tried deletting just the ".diff.lua" extension when saving, keeping just the name. I had the first little message of "file already exists" and when clicked on save, I had the familiar "overwrite existing file?" and apparently the profile,saved ok.

Just my experiences.

Saludos.

Saca111

Edited by Sacarino111
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sacarino111 said:

I tried deletting just the ".diff.lua" extension when saving, keeping just the name. I had the first little message of "file already exists" and when clicked on save, I had the familiar "overwrite existing file?" and apparently the profile,saved ok.

Yes, same goes for loading a profile. Click once on the profile you want to load, than manually remove .diff.lua and it will load alright. This is just lazy programming. I'm sorry to be so blunt. It tells me that DCS is a spaguetti-mess inside. It's the reason that with every update we get new bugs that never were a problem before.

1 hour ago, MarcT-NL said:

I have not. Why ?  Do you want to tell me that you don't have this problem ?

Was able to test now. I'm sure I've seen a similar issue before. I have the same issue.

I have never had any controller issues with DCS ever, (except when one need to delete the whole thing because of changes to a module), and I backup my input folder regularly, but have never had to do a restore. 

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. 

7 hours ago, MarcT-NL said:

Ha, I do that too. After every change I save the profile. Unfortunately I forgot to copy the profiles to a safe disk before I formatted this one. 😱

Seems you double backup. Both copy the input folder and save to files?

All the modules and 10+ controllers. Would take me forever.... 😊

I have my Saved Games stored on a drive that backups with history, so need to save any files for me. 

On 3/30/2022 at 7:14 PM, MarcT-NL said:

Since the update of march 30 2022, if you overwrite an exisitng input-profile, DCS puts a ".diff.lua" behind it anyway...

image.png

I confirm same issue.

When selecting a previous saved file ( before update) it see's the file but reports " file doesn't exist"

Windows explorer confirms file does exist ( phew panic over )

If you tick the input profiles box to "All Files *.* " you can " get around the issue"  but its still infuriating.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...