How to watch your carrier landings

Shack

What's the best way to review your carrier landings ?  

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Tracks work decently in singleplayer if you keep them really short. Like only a few minutes long.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

How can I use the PLOT to watch my approach to the carrier ? 

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 minute ago, Shack said:

How can I use the PLOT to watch my approach to the carrier ? 

Same way. You'll have to view your track file and then press LAlt + F9 to go to LSO view. You can see the PLAT cam there. 

The problem is that things often get de-syncyed in track replays, and it's an exaggerated problem here because both the carrier and the aircraft are moving. 

The reality is, you can watch the same track file 3 different times and see three different passes... and maybe none of them resemble your original pass ;).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, skywalker22 said:

Track gets broken (or not) no metter of the lenght of the video. Replays are WIP.

They're not WIP, working as intended. Tracks are not meant for cinematic replays, but dubugging - reproducing reaccuring bugs, which you can reproduce in short single-player replays.

Edited by Foka
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 6:55 AM, Foka said:

Tracks are not meant for cinematic replays, but dubugging

They are actually meant for cinematic replays, and anything else a replay might be used for. The function has been broken for years so it’s not currently useful for either. 

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

On 3/31/2022 at 12:15 PM, Foka said:

Tracks don't work.
Install free version of TacView and review your landings on it.

I cant get to play tracks.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

1 hour ago, Foka said:

What tracks and how you're trying to play it?
I don't get it.
TacView dosen't save tracks, it saves telemetry.

Then what file should I be trying to load in TACVIEW please?

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

After installing TacView, it should add a line to your \Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Export.lua file and it saves every flight in \Documents\Tacview folder. You'll have there .acmi files, which you can use in TacView.

11 hours ago, Foka said:

After installing TacView, it should add a line to your \Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Export.lua file and it saves every flight in \Documents\Tacview folder. You'll have there .acmi files, which you can use in TacView.

I have found Tacview can fail to record properly if its not the first thing called in export.lua though, so worth checking that if you have other stuff installed that uses export.lua and Tacview is not writing files.

...my experience with tracks, without multiplayer:

If I use the HORNET, I have no problem to replay rating flights and carrier landings. Me and several AI flights (Tanker, Hawkeye, two companions accompanying me). 4 bolters without hook and cable hitch on the fifth pass. No problem.
I can play from any view: F1, F2, F3, F4 as the carrier's own.
But as soon as I try to make a flight taking off from the carrier after aptoning, the track will fail. I don't know why, taking off from the steam caltapult breaks the track....

I also made a 20 minutes NOE flight in Caucasus to show the VR to my friends and it was always reproduced without problems, takeoff and landing from airfield...

With TOMCAT it is impossible, I have never been able to reproduce an carrier landing!!!!

Can you guys try and contrast?

Greetings

Apologies for the language, my mother tongue is that of Cervantes instead of Shakespeare....

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Edited by CaptYosi73