Shkval Autolock on HMD target

I remember at some point being able to lock a target by simply using the hmd and holding O to move it and lock it when it came within the sight picture. Was that a bug or have I simply forgotten how to do it?  

I’ll add that I was shooting down Apaches the other day like flies, but it was hard to get a lock on any closer in maneuvering targets. 

10 hours ago, Hunter Joker said:

It's how it work, You acitvate HMD, activate auto tracking then depressing Uncage the SHKVAL pointer will follow Your HMD crosshair, point over the target and relesease and it's done.
Then if You need micro adjustment You can use the TDC up/down/left/right to center perfectly.

How do you activate auto tracking?  I’ve tried with pressing the lock button, then slewing the hmd but it hasn’t seemed to work that way. 

On 4/2/2022 at 8:08 AM, ricktoberfest said:

I figured it out. Needed to press the lock button within a very short time of slewing the HMD. Too long and it stops trying to lock. Works for a second or 2 then you have to repress the lock button. 

Could you explain the whole process? Is it something like this:

1. Activate HMS
2. Hold down Uncage/Designate button to slew the Shkval
3. Press Targe Lock button every few seconds (since it times out based on what you were saying) when looking at the target
4. ???
5. Profit!

On 4/7/2022 at 9:29 AM, jubuttib said:

Could you explain the whole process? Is it something like this:

1. Activate HMS
2. Hold down Uncage/Designate button to slew the Shkval
3. Press Targe Lock button every few seconds (since it times out based on what you were saying) when looking at the target
4. ???
5. Profit!

Press lock and then slew the shkval with the uncage button pressed. If it passes over a target it should stick to that target. If it takes more than a second or 2, release cage button and go back to beginning (press lock then slew)

adding in here: make sure the size gates are appropriate for whatever you’re trying to lock. Practice locking a friendly target that isn’t  moving and then practice with another helicopter. 

Edited by ricktoberfest
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Volk. said:

if you still need help with this - posted this a whiles back. Timestamped the section on it:

Thanks,  damn useful. Locking an emeny helo is much more easier

Edited by brucewhf
  • Like 2

This is the way for air combat.  I've downed many a Huey and Hind with the gun using this technique.  Maintain FORWARD movement.  Don't let them drag you into a slow strafing/turning fight.  Boom and Zoom ;).

I haven't tried on Apaches yet as I'm still flying the Apache for now :).

BTW Volk...  That's a GREAT vid 🙂

• Like 1

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)