New green cross and lines on Controls Panel?

imacken

I don't think I'm going mad, but I'm pretty sure these green lines and cross weren't there before today's patch.

Does anyone know what their purpose is?  I thought it might relate to the new 'trim reset', but I can't see it.

t1.jpg

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I was wondering the same thing??? Why no explanation regarding the change?

• Like 1

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.

• ED Team

The light shaded region shows the authority of the SCAS portion of the flight control servos. The green indicators show the position of the SCAS.

The SCAS has +/-10% authority in each flight control servo, with the exception of pitch, which is 20% in the forward direction only.

Edited by Raptor9
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Does this mean we should be trying to match the green with our inputs?

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.

23 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

The light shaded region shows the authority of the SCAS portion of the flight control servos. The green indicators show the position of the SCAS.

The SCAS has +/-10% authority in each flight control servo, with the exception of pitch, which is 20% in the forward direction only.

I don't understand how this helps me as a pilot. Can you explain what we're supposed to do with this info?

• Like 1

Whatever it is, I no longer need to have that visualizer on now that we have trim reset.

• Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I am very happy with how the trim works - except for transferring from George back to pilot - and I cannot see what the point of the trim reset is.  I know some people were crying out for it, but I just can't see what it is useful for.  Can't see myself using it.

• Like 2

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• ED Team
1 hour ago, key_stroked said:

I don't understand how this helps me as a pilot. Can you explain what we're supposed to do with this info?

It's so that people can see what the SCAS is doing to help understand it and if necessary troubleshoot issues, just like the remainder of the control indicator itself.

The control indicator is just a visualization tool, to help people understand what is happening with the flight controls in the aircraft as they make inputs. It may not prove useful for everyone, just as the control indicator overlay isn't useful to everyone.

1 hour ago, Raven434th said:

Does this mean we should be trying to match the green with our inputs?

No, it's just an indication of what the flight management computer is doing in addition to the player inputs.

Edited by Raptor9
  • Like 4

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

16 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

It's so that people can see what the SCAS is doing to help understand it and if necessary troubleshoot issues, just like the remainder of the control indicator itself.

The control indicator is just a visualization tool, to help people understand what is happening with the flight controls in the aircraft as they make inputs. It may not prove useful for everyone, just as the control indicator overlay isn't useful to everyone.

No, it's just an indication of what the flight management computer is doing in addition to the player inputs.

The green symbols seem to lag or are off set a little. I am not sure what that means, or how it might be useful to the player. The previous red and white symbols where more intuitive.  

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

17 hours ago, key_stroked said:

To see the limits of the SCAS. When the SCAS is on the edge of its input authority, it will not be able to do its job properly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrEaSeLiTeNiN said:

The green symbols seem to lag or are off set a little. I am not sure what that means, or how it might be useful to the player. The previous red and white symbols where more intuitive.  

But, the red and white symbols are still there, and doing the same function as they did before!  It's just that there is now an extra green set.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, imacken said:

But, the red and white symbols are still there, and doing the same function as they did before!  It's just that there is now an extra green set.

Red cross is neutral force position - the point where the controls are trimmed. The white is pilot input. The green is SCAS servo deflection. The box is SCAS limit.

Edited by AJaromir
  • Like 4

The box and the green symbol in it shows the same things like the servo visualisation in Hind autopilot panel or like in MI-8 - which is the deflection of servos. Once those are on the edge of the box, the servos can not do its job properly and so the SCAS. In MI-8 the flight egineer manually reset the servos by rotating knobs on central panel to get them into operating area. In MI-8 this system is independent on the stick position. That's why it must be manually adjusted. In other helicopters like KA-50 or AH-64 or whatever it is bounded with the stick neutral position (trimmed position)

So, if the green symbol is on the edge of the box, you should reset trim to new position.

Edited by AJaromir
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Ignition said:

Try to fly without the controls window open, you will enjoy the helicopters much more. Try it. Don't be so dependant on the position of the controls.

ABSOLUTELY!

Never had it on the screen in the Apache. Would kill my immersion. Still fighting the mouse cursor. It's always in my (VR) view.

Extension + more or less curve setting and you should be good to go.

What really helps is to keep the pedals out of the trimming business, by making them anti-torque pedals (no re centering), if you can.

• Like 1

NZXT H400i case

i9 9900k @ 4,9GHz (cooled by NZXT Kraken X62 4x140Fan - Push/Pull)

Asus RoG Maximus XI Gene with 32GB G.Skill CL14

Samsung M.2 970Pro 1000GB

ZOTAC RTX 2080ti Triple Fan 11GB

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

runs smooth like Beck's Gold :D

HTC VIVE pro eYe (still freaking out!)

Thrust Master HOTAS Warthog on MONSTERTECH table mounts

15cm Stick Extension + red spring by SAHAJ 8 (<-- love them)

(TM F-18C ordered)

TPR (Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder)

T.Flight USAF Headset

On 3/30/2022 at 11:14 PM, key_stroked said:

It lets you know that the stability augmentation cannot properly support you once the green bits are at the edge of the box because it has reached its authority limits.

To recenter it you can press and hold the trim button down for 3+ seconds.

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2022 at 5:16 PM, Supmua said:

Whatever it is, I no longer need to have that visualizer on now that we have trim reset.

AMEN! Same for me

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2022 at 1:40 AM, GrEaSeLiTeNiN said:

Me Googles "servos"... 😀

In general the servo is set of actuator of any kind (hydraulic electric , pneumatic,...) which holds precise position given by command. There is not needed any regulator, feedback sensors e.t.c. because those are already built in servo. Simply you put in power and command and it will be executed. For example the electric servos are commanded by PWM signal. It is 20ms long period.

how-servo-motors-work-fig3.jpg

Edited by AJaromir

• 8 months later...

Hi guys i need some help here as trim does not do anything at all here...

I have my stick trim set to recenter and pedals to non-centering

When i press trim forward i see the red cross jumping to where the white diamond is as it should.

Then when i recenter my stick, white diamond and green cross move back to center (basically following my stick input) and not keeping it at the red cross as i have told it to do...

Anyone that can tell me what is wrong?

Winwing F16ex HOTAS / MFG Crosswinds / Varjo Aero

F16c - F/A-18c - A10cII - Apache

27 minutes ago, egon83 said:

Hi guys i need some help here as trim does not do anything at all here...

I have my stick trim set to recenter and pedals to non-centering

When i press trim forward i see the red cross jumping to where the white diamond is as it should.

Then when i recenter my stick, white diamond and green cross move back to center (basically following my stick input) and not keeping it at the red cross as i have told it to do...

Anyone that can tell me what is wrong?

Thanks 🙂

Screenshot special options and  control binding windows

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2022 at 11:30 PM, imacken said:

I cannot see what the point of the trim reset is.  I know some people were crying out for it, but I just can't see what it is useful for.  Can't see myself using it.

Since most of us are flying with sticks with springs in them, we have no way of knowing the stick center position from our physical hardware after trimming without the controls indicator or awkwardly trying to match the arrows on the cyclic itself. When you land the helicopter and you want things in a default configuration, that's when you can use trim reset. It's not very useful in flight. I'm glad to have it.

I think it's just a matter of preference as to when you might use trim reset.  Some people don't mind fidgeting with the trim the entire time they are flying, others prefer a 1:1 relationship with the in-game controls and their physical controls. 

I only trim when I am in long-distance cruise mode, or when I need to take my hand off the stick, or switch to the F10 map, or when hovering. Otherwise, I prefer to reset trim before slowing to a hover, landing, doing any low- or high-speed NoE flying, etc.