LEAP MOTION .....IT WORKS !!

This looks much better than the weird gesture style interface they had before (the one were pointer beams were shining out of your hands). 

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

I think they've always had the option of not using the pointers, it works very well for most of the cockpit controls, rotaries can be a bit tricky though.

The pointers aren't great with the mouse click emulation, it's really inconsistent for me although that could just be me doing it wrong.  I use pointers off and just press the buttons.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

31 minutes ago, Totem said:

Looks very good.
Can you give some information of the setup on your VR with the controller?

Have a look through the leap motion thread in the input/output subforum 🙂

• Thanks 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

While it looks cool, my experience with Leap is that it is too sloppy and suffers from field of view limitations. When operating controls high and centered, it works great. when you go low or especially low to the left or right, it has issues. Some controls are difficult to touch/operate which leads to inadvertent operation of nearby controls. Somehow canopy jettison switches or other critical controls always end up near controls I need to use and ruin the flight if they get triggered.

I found PointCTRL to be a far superior solution as it is almost as precise as a mouse, but calibrated so that the mouse cursor follows your left and right index fingers, but only when you activate them. But even PointCTRL suffers from field of view limitations: you can only operate controls withing so many degrees of your viewpoint, so you generally need to look in the direction of the control you want to operate. I prefer a mix of hardware panels and PointCTRL. In combat, nothing beats having real panels/switches if you can find them in VR as you can keep your eyes out of the cockpit while you toggle important controls.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 3/31/2022 at 2:55 PM, streakeagle said:

While it looks cool, my experience with Leap is that it is too sloppy and suffers from field of view limitations. When operating controls high and centered, it works great. when you go low or especially low to the left or right, it has issues. Some controls are difficult to touch/operate which leads to inadvertent operation of nearby controls. Somehow canopy jettison switches or other critical controls always end up near controls I need to use and ruin the flight if they get triggered.

I found PointCTRL to be a far superior solution as it is almost as precise as a mouse, but calibrated so that the mouse cursor follows your left and right index fingers, but only when you activate them. But even PointCTRL suffers from field of view limitations: you can only operate controls withing so many degrees of your viewpoint, so you generally need to look in the direction of the control you want to operate. I prefer a mix of hardware panels and PointCTRL. In combat, nothing beats having real panels/switches if you can find them in VR as you can keep your eyes out of the cockpit while you toggle important controls.

This is my experience as well. It works great for ICP and MFDs, but that's it. I wish there was a way to limit leap only to the front panel and disable unnecesary inputs on the side panels.

In combat you should have everything on the HOTAS.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well, that's what HOTAS is for. 🙂 Besides the MiGs, which love putting critical controls in awkward places, in most aircraft the front part is what you work with the most. There are usually some switches on the left panel that you should be able to fiddle with without looking, but that's what physical switches on the throttle base are for. Besides radios, most stuff on the side panels is only relevant during startup and only touched occasionally in flight, usually when something goes wrong.

I fly the F-86, the UH-1, A-4E-C, and the F-5 quite a bit. Helicopters and WW2 aircraft also have controls all over the place. So it isn't just MiGs. There are a lot of controls in each of those aircraft that are on the sides or down low and Leap made operating those controls very difficult. Whereas using a mouse, PointCTRL, or physical panels, I could get the right control in the right position quickly and easily. If it does the job for you, great, but the only thing Leap does for me is collect dust.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 3/31/2022 at 8:55 AM, streakeagle said:

i have the same experience with you. leap motion was so janky. pointctrl is just amazing.. it WORKS.. im sorry leap motion does not work well at all

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

• 3 weeks later...

Repeating my original post in VR.

So I just got my Leap Motion hand tracking working with a new Pitool version from Pimax. I'm using the Pimax 8K X and their Hand Tracking Module which is Leap Motion.

Although a little janky, it works pretty well, my issue is however in DCS the hands placement is much higher than my real hands.

In the Leap Motion visualiser it is accurate. In DCS it is high. I think it is because DCS expects the tracker on top of the headset, however the Pimax connects to the bottom, and finding a way of fixing to the top and running a cable around the headset is going to be problematic to say the least.

Question is, is there any way of adjusting this in DCS? Literally centering the hand tracking higher or lower, whichever way works, would easily solve the problem. DCS only catering for a single position is not ideal. 

Or would it be possible to implement this?

Many thanks ED for all your hard work!

Stalker_Signature.png

i9-11900K (Corsair water cooled); Z590; 64Gb Dominator 3466; Zotac Trinity OC RTX 4090; Soundblaster Z; Samsung 980 & 990 Pros; Pimax 8K X, 5K XR;

Winwing Orion 2 F/A-18 throttle, Winwing Orion 2 base with extension and F-15EX grip (from F/A-18 grip); Virpil Warbrd base (2x extensions) with TM Warthog grip, TM Warthog throttle; Ace-Flight Rudder Pedals, Control Panel #2; Simshaker Jetpad / HF8.

• 2 months later...

hello everyone

i saw à video on YT that said it is possible to activate and deactivate hands via a key schortcut.

i cant find thoose shorcuts. is it in dcs or directly in the leap software?

thx for help.

Not one that I know of in DCS but that's not to say that it isn't squirrelled away in a submenu somewhere?

• 2 weeks later...