RAF Kenley and more landmarks

AceGoat

I would love to see RAF Kenley added to the game, the map nearly reaches Caterham/Kenley area so it wouldn't need to be expanded by much. I was surprised to see that RAF Kenley wasn't in the map already seeing as it was one of RAF's main airbases.

The Channel is one of my favourite maps, but it is missing SO many landmarks. For example, Canterbury is missing its Catherdral, which was really surprising to see when I flew over it.

I would also like to see more Airbases added to Germany's side, it seems to be missing several.

• 1 month later...

RAF Kenley actually falls just outside the western limit of the map unfortunately. 

It may be instead that we see it included as part of the expansion of the Normandy map; keep your fingers crossed but don't hold your breath...

I agree the cathedral at Canterbury is notable for it's absence, and as unique landmarks go, it should really be included. However...

You have to be careful asking for the inclusion of lots of one-off features - there's economy in utilising a library of more generic structures to make the map, it's not only easier to develop but also serves to keep system demands reasonable for the average user; add too may unique structures and the tax on the average system will become too high, so there's a balance to be struck.

Regards additional airfields on the continent; agreed but choosing the right ones is also important. The map seems to represent a period covering late winter/early spring 1943-44. By this time the majority of the fields near the coast were not operational; most had been abandoned and either mined and obstacled or had only the bare minimum ground echelon to caretaker the field should it be needed in the future. 

The majority of the fields occupied by the Luftwaffe were closer to the French German border, or further East in Belgium and Holland.

This reflects:

1. The Jagdwaffe's increasing focus on Defence of the Reich operations, it's reaction to the 8th Air Force's strategic bomber raids on Germany proper.

2. The Jagdwaffe trying to increase the time allowed it's interceptors to climb to altitude to attack with some height advantage.

3. The Luftwaffe trying to conserve it's forces from snap fighter-bomber/medium bomber attacks on it's forward bases.

Again these prototypical fields are mostly - but not all - currently East of the detailed map area. One hopes that any future expansion might push them to be included.

Edited by DD_Fenrir
  • Like 1