M60A3 unable to climb gentle grades; MP engine sound issues

GumidekCZ

Reporting BUG not only connected to, but will use it as an example.

HUMVEE unable accelerate against more than 20% (10°) slope from stop.

According to available data HUMVEE have a 60% (31°) slope climbing ability, and can operate on 40% side hills.

Only method is to accelerate perpendicular to slope or drive downhill to the flat area, accelerate there and than climb that 60% slope.

In script is defined correctly:

max_slope = 0.5, -- in radians

Other vehicles like Russian Tiger with similar capability can climb steeper slopes, but still suffering from same issue.

Edited by GumidekCZ

• 1 year later...

Noticed some issues earlier on Alpen's server - no engine sound for T-55 and M60A3 totally unable to cope with hills, even gentle slopes. I fired up the ME to do some testing and it appears the engine sounds are an intermittent or MP-only issue as I had them there; however the M60 behaviour was consistent. On a grade of about 1 in 11 it will grind to a halt, cannot be hill started, cannot be turned, etc., the only recourse is to try reverse back down the way you came and build enough speed to turn and drive off the slope.

Excuse the longish trackfile - wasn't sure what other vehicles were affected and wanted to check, but in any case I think it helps highlight the issue with the M60 better. Second trackfile shows sound issue on a MP server (Cold War 1947-1991).

Vehicles I've confirmed have no engine sounds in MP missions:

• T-55
  • T-80U
  • M1A2
  • M163

Haven't had the opportunity to check others yet - or on other servers, in case this is some weird issue due to the age of the missions the server runs.

CA issue.trk Fight Island-20220331-155501.trk

• Like 3

Yeah many of the vehicles are missing their sound when in MP. I have a feeling the sound issue is because we can now ctrl+e and turn off the engines since the update before this hotfix. Also many of the vehicles last patch were able to accelerate from 0-43 mph from a 4th gear pull in under a second lol. They were also able to climb the steepest inclines at top speed and do donuts with ease (quite fun if not realistic). Now they have "Player controllable unit dynamics - adjusted" which seems to have set the units performance capabilities back to how they were before Apache. At least we can still do 300+ mph going downhill in neutral. 🤣

I think something in-between what we had last patch and what we have now would be nice. It seems like vehicles that had an engine start sound still have sounds in MP while ones that didn't don't.

I have driven M1A2 and can confirm the same problem. No sound and cant climb anything. Whats funny is that if you make the struggling vehicle AI controlled, they will have no problem climbing that hill.

Edited by Tank33
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 10:20 PM, NineLine said:

Yeah there is some serious control issues right now. The fixes are in our internal versions, but will most likely not be added until the next major update. 

Right now? The issue is here for a very long time, and what I have heard, even before I did my test with many vehicles 2 years ago (I forgot to include track file there):

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/234725-reporting-humvee-unable-accelerate-against-slope

This is Combined Arms control problem, because AI unit can drive against the slope, but when you hop in certain vehicles, you are not able to climb same slope as AI can.

When I did my test, I was surprised how steep slope can some of the vehicles climb, like Russia APC Tiger, Humwee on the other hand have problem same as above mentined M60 and others.

Someone from ED need to check ALL the player driven vehicles if they can drive a same slope angle as given by Lua value for AI unit.

• Like 2

• ED Team
On 5/22/2020 at 9:40 AM, danvac said:

You forget to provide track or miz file for reproducing purposes. Attached it for you.

AI units are able to accelerate towards hill, but units controlled by player are not able to.

CA_Test.miz 15.78 kB · 48 downloads

From your mission I reported concerns on acceleration levels AI vs Player as well, I reported Player interrupting pre-planned routes of AI units. As far as climbing slopes and parking n slopes, these have been reported. 

• Like 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

M1A2 is now useless on hills. Paved roads OK. Won't climb "dirt" roads and certain grass terrains. Will sometimes climb a hill in reverse 🤣🤣🤣 That's really useful!!!!! 

This seems to have become worse after the April 8 fix that allowed units to cross/get out of the rivers......  Just a thought.

Edited by thewasteboy

we are not reporting inability to climb even the gentlest slople when damaged, but even full health tanks aren't able to drive past those silly gradient.
It's undenniable that those problems arose after AH64 release like it or not,let's hope a fix is coming in due time since as a customer is not good to be blocked using a module (CA) by another module i don't intend to purchase.
I had many likes to my message so i'm not the only one being damaged by the release of apache.  CA is   being unusable  since weeks  especially for tank warfare in hilly terrain.Let's hope for a fix coming with next OB, patience is key in this times even if you need to run server with 60 people relying on CA performance

Edited by ZioSam
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, NineLine said:

I haven't received notice that they have been merged yet, sorry. I will chase them up once again.

Thanks for poking them. Really though, how long are we expected to wait for these fixes?

CA right now is borderline unusable with all of the glaring issues it has. Can't manually drive anything up inclines, random slowdowns in the middle of nowhere, pathing issues, no sound for dynamically spawned units, ranging and ballistics issues for certain tanks like the Leo, JTAC binocs can't zoom as far as the driver can, and the list goes on.

How can they honestly keep selling this for $40?

Edited by key_stroked
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, key_stroked said:

How can they honestly keep selling this for $40?

They probably don't. I bought it on sale :thumbup:

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

7 hours ago, draconus said:

They probably don't. I bought it on sale :thumbup:

This deserves a +1 just for making  me chuckle. I bought it on sale as well, but then again, I am also buying more modules than I have time to learn at the moment just to support DCS. I will probably eventually collect the entire DCS World collection, so I don't mind saying I waited for a sale.

4 hours ago, ZioSam said:

They should devote CA development to a 3rd party because it's clear that ED is not commiting enough resources to keep CA up to date with DCS world. Flagship modules get constant updates while secondary modules are left to rotten. Like R60 for Hind or BS3, for people who enjoy more using Russian or non nato stuff is really hard to enjoy DCS these times.CA is clearly in the back burner even if it allows many players who loves a multi branch environment in the sim to find their place, there are server like DDCS and on a minor extent BF that live on the influx of those CA players.I understand that F16 might be more profitable but $ are of the same value if you spend them in not NATO stuff or CA. The problem is there is always this feeling that ED has not enough resources to maintain all the project and modules they are involved with and the need of constant cash flow cause rushed releases or not enough support for old modules. Imho they should switch their business module to a per month fee and have enough money to keep all their projects properly supported and not having to rush new ones.

I'm not sure a different pay structure would change much, and might even make things worse, but I completely agree with you that ED needs to find ways to decrease the amount of time it takes to address/update/patch issues.

One way to tell where most of the effort is spent developing DCS World is jump in a vehicle to take a tour before you hit the runway in your favorite plane/jet/heli.

But it does seem to be improving in bits and pieces though.

Edited by Callsign112
  • Like 1