Walk me (PLT) through Hercules Down

itarrow

So, after finally getting some success in hovering etc, I decided to try a combat mission, and it was Hercules Down.

I play in VR and just as the pilot.

I realized I know 0 about helo tactics and best practices. I tried learning by attempts, but after some frustration I kindly ask you helo experts to provide some advice.

1) How do you find moving targets traveling in a forest… efficiently ? 

Maybe it’s because I am a not yet effective pilot and I focus too much on piloting, maybe VR doesn’t help, but how are you supposed to look for and find targets moving in a forest, without labels and with the limited assistance George provides now ?

2) How do you pilot while searching in a potentially hostile area ?

Are you supposed to hover and jump from a place to another after having scanned ? Or are you supposed to move fast and hide if you detect something ?

3) How do you engage a fast moving ground target in a not so open area ?

Again do you place yourself in a hover, qnd then engage when the target becomes visible for a few seconds, or are you actively moving and follow the target so to open opportunities ?

Thanks in advance for you patience !

Edited by itarrow
  • Like 1

The AH-64D s a 2-seat aircraft for a reason. Your question number 2 is the germane point. One person flies and the other focuses on finding and shooting the bad guys.

I recommend taking a bit of the learning how to use George form both seats. 🙂

R/ Hangar 200

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Enemy AI in vehicles are not showing up in Flir as hot. there totally blacked out and can not see them until too late.

EAIvehiclesnoshowupinflir.jpg

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

5 hours ago, Hangar200 said:

The AH-64D s a 2-seat aircraft for a reason. Your question number 2 is the germane point. One person flies and the other focuses on finding and shooting the bad guys.

I recommend taking a bit of the learning how to use George form both seats. 🙂

Maybe in the future I will try also CPG, but for the moment I want to fly just as the pilot: I know how to have George searching where I am looking, but I am not sure I saw any command making George search on broad areas… am I missing something ?

3 hours ago, 71st_Mastiff said:

Enemy AI in vehicles are not showing up in Flir as hot. there totally blacked out and can not see them until too late.

EAIvehiclesnoshowupinflir.jpg

Ah OK so this is why I can’t see them… am I doing something wrong or is it a bug ?

By the way, any broader, more generic tactical suggestion is welcome of course !

ok they seem to scatter into the trees once you fire into the convoy, the Flir probably needs some work too, but yes its working as intended.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

19 hours ago, itarrow said:

Are you adjusting the LEV and GAIN knobs to the left of the TEDAC to fine-tune the image from the FLIR?  I will admit that there may not be as much contrast as I would like at times, but you do have to adjust the settings for level/gain to suit the conditions.

The EU convoy that is on the road ahead if you take out one vehicle the rest disappear, must be a bug?

I've had some success by setting George to weapons free with the gun.  He can pick out targets quickly on the road and engage them.  Once that's done, switch him off weapons free mode because he'll use up all your rounds trying to shoot the house further up.

You'll want to progress up the road slowly: if you go too fast you'll sometimes end up right above your target and by that point it's too late.

run come save me

• 2 weeks later...

I find this one a challenge with guns+rockets only (no probs if I loadout missiles). George seems unable to hit anything with the gun especially if its moving. If I try to get close enough to help george I get taken out almost instantly with AAA.